Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2013

what to do in gaps on wedding day

pinkrosesandstars, 11 April, 2012 at 02:33 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello all,

i was origionally having a wedding venue where everything was set and organised for me, but my parents have said that what we dont spend on the wedding they will give to me and my h2b for a diposit for a house so we are scrapping the expensive vennue and thinking of getting married in the village church then hiring a village hall and having a vintage themed afternoon tea instead of a 3 course meal then having a hog roast in the evening with the evening entertainment. but seeing as the village hall is a complete blank canvas im so lost! what do i do with the guests in between the afternoon tea and before the evening party ( where there are no rooms like in the old venue to go)

Any help would be brilliant, also if you were going to the above wedding would you thing it was rubbish because its not as grand as the big venue we were origionally having, i think im worried of what people will think of me by not having a really big expensive day Smiley atonished

9 replies

Latest activity by pinkrosesandstars, 11 April, 2012 at 11:19
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, no I wouldn't think badly of you for not having a huge expensive day at a posh venue ? your friends and family are there to see you get married and celebrate with you not rate how grand your venue is!

Secondly, how big is the hall? Maybe you could set up a kind of chill out/bar area with some comfortable chairs, bean bag cushions or small sofa (all these you could hopefully bring yourself or borrow). That way there's a separated area where people can have a mooch around, you could put it near the bar if you are having one. Is there a garden or green you can use for some garden games or just set up some tables and chairs outside so people can get some fresh air - assuming the weather is nice?? Maybe have some nice drinks served in this time like traditional lemonade to fit in with your vintage theme...

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content

I'm absolutely shocked at how much some people spend on their weddings. But, I recognise that they have different priorities than I do.

• monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content

Is there a garden/ outdoor area by the hall? You could set up games on the lawn outside.

Or do you have any musical friends you could ask to sing or play instruments after the afternoon tea?

Think Lannyb's suggestion of having a later ceremony is a good idea as well and people will enjoy just relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere!

Sounds great though Smiley smile

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I agree - there probably won't be much time depending on when you have your ceremony, and people do like chance to mingle.

I would definitely play some background music, and you could also get some board games to put out, and/or a quiz? then people can play them and do the quiz if they choose, or just chat if they don't but adds a little bit of something going on withou a lot of effort!

Sounds fab, and definiely don't worry about what you are spending! people won't even think about it they will be having such a lovely time!

DM x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

No i think thats great idea sounds a perfect day.

There certainly isnt anything wrong with a village hall however one thing i will point out as you mention the hall being a blank canvas, what do you actually get for your hire charge? and have you researched all you need to buy/hire to make your day how you want it?

If you have to hire tables, chairs + covers, plates crockery, decorations, dressings, napkins etc will you end up spending more money hiring stuff to fill it?? I know when we were veneue hunting we looked into 'blank canvas' options it worked out more expensive then some of the hotels, country houses etc which generally have all the above included?

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    mel&mike ·
    • Hide content

We want ours to be fun and interacrive where the guests have stuff to do if they please, on my list we have a:

bride and groom quiz for the tables-with a winning table

Scavanger hunt around the room/grounds-nominate one person from each table

outdoor games (depending on weather) large jenga, large twister, bouncy castle etc

Hiring a magician, balloon man, caracterchaurist (spelt wrong!)

There just some of my ideas! xx

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

It all sounds lovely and a lot more intimate than the 'big event' version.

We've booked a close up table magician for an hour and a half to entertain some guests. Other than that I expect people will actually welcome the lull between day and night ?

• P
    Beginner April 2013
    pinkrosesandstars ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for ur replies guys, really helpfull.

the Venue has no greenspace itself there but there is a pub across the road with a feild at the back that i know you can hire so could do lawn games on there, (asuming we have no april showers!)

we had a venue venue but it was nealry 4 grand just to hire it and then the food was over 60 pounds oer head for soup , sausage and mash and fruit crumble and in my opinion thats not good value for money! plus they charged if you had a vegetarian option - not pleased!

so i think the hall wil save money, i roughly quoted about 2 grand for afternoon tea for 60 (the company includes all crocks) and a vintage ice cream bike for up to 100 and then a hog roast in the evening

i relly liked the idea from nicalf08 about the lemonade and found a company which do vintage "tea cocktails" they do champagne tea cocktail which i thought sounded fun!

i would hope that people will be amused with talking and mingling around and a 'pub quiz' style thing could be really fun!

i hope a few more indoor activities pop up as i dont trust the british weather!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics