Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sabrina
Beginner May 2023 South East London

What to do with engagement ring on the big day?

Sabrina, 28 of February of 2023 at 23:34 Posted on Planning 0 9
Hey hey all 😊

I was wondering if anyone knows what people do with their engagement ring on the wedding day? I plan to wear mine on top of my wedding ring in the future, but not entirely sure how it would work on the wedding day? Do I just not wear it and just wear my wedding ring. Thanks in advance Smiley smile

9 replies

Latest activity by Maxgat, 10 of March of 2023 at 23:39
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I wore mine so my wedding ring was placed on top. Then I switched them round when we were sat down at the registrar's table getting things signed.
    It's up to you whether you feel happy leaving it off and keeping it somewhere. Also consider if your photographer will be getting photos of the ring exchange and you want your engagement ring visible in those.
  • K
    Curious April 2023 Lancashire
    Kim ·
    • Hide content

This is such a brilliant discussion, thanks for raising it! I wouldn't have thought of this otherwise.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I wore mine on my right hand for the ceremony and moved it over to my left hand afterwards. Traditionally, the wedding ring goes on first (nearest to your heart!), but it's also more practical as engagement rings tend to be more ornate than wedding rings, so you're more likely to have to take them off for cleaning or when doing messy jobs. My engagement ring is always coming on and off, but my wedding ring is a plain band and I never take it off.

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for asking this - I’ve been wondering the same thing! My sister wore hers on her right and then switched it, but I’m thinking I might leave mine on my left. I definitely won’t leave it anywhere - if I decide not to wear it at all I’ll give it to a bridesmaid to look after.

• K
    Savvy November 2024 West Midlands
    Katey_84 ·
    • Hide content
    At my first wedding I wore my engagement ring on my right hand swapped it over just before the photos. I plan to do the same this time round too! To avoid any ring marks, I started to wear my engagement ring on my other hand a week before the wedding
  • A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to wear it on my right hand for the ceremony. I didn't want to and asked my mum if she would hold it, but she's worried she'll lose it during the ceremony!

I've seen multiple articles/comments in the past where the suggestion is made that one of the bridesmaids can wear it during the ceremony but (and I don't know if it's just me) I really really hate the idea of someone else wearing it Smiley laugh

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

My e-ring won't fit on my right hand! That finger is clearly a size bigger haha

I'm currently debating either wedding ring on top and then switch, or giving my mum my e-ring to hold onto during the ceremony

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I cannot think of ever seeing an engagement ring left on the wedding finger for the ceremony. Its either on the right hand and is kept there for the day or someone else wears it/keeps it for putting on later or its just left at home.

With everything else that is going on switching seems a little bit of a risk of dropping one and maybe not loosing but possible damage.

• K
    Curious March 2023 Wiltshire
    Karen ·
    • Hide content
    I'm getting married in 16 days. Think I will wear mine on right hand during ceremony though the fit is more snug, then switch. Picture might look a bit rubbish of wedding band though as it's been custom made to fit around my engagement ring.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics