Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HLT
Beginner August 2012

What to do with wrecked wedding dress?

HLT, 2 September, 2012 at 13:15 Posted on Planning 0 19

I am so depressed about this but my dress is wrecked. I have tried everything I can think of but I don't think it's ever going to look "well" again. I had hoped to sell it but now thats not an option so I need to think of an alternative! Dying the dress or having it taken up isn't really an option as I don't think I'd wear an altered version of it... We don't really have the space and binning it doesn't feel right. Anyone got any suggestions?

19 replies

Latest activity by xlovebirdsx, 2 September, 2012 at 21:13
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Trash the dress photoshoot!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!!! That's what i intend to do with mine - 8 months after the wedding and still not cleaned it so i assume the dirt will never come out now - the train and right side of bottom of the dress have ended up quite dirty despite best efforts of BMs and Mum to lift it up when i was walking around - it was a torrentially raining December day so... that's what I'll do with mine!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

A full glass of red wine got spilt on it. I've tried everything to remove it but because it's lace you can still see where the wine was.. Some of the netting underneath was torn too which I've sewn back together but its also utterly filthy even though I've been trying to clean it all week and it's been in the machine twice.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Did you try white wine on it to neitralize the red wine? i too had red wine spilt on my dress but the cleaners got most of it out and i tore my dress so my dress is trashed - sounds like trash the dress photoshoot is the way forward ... Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Have you taken it to a cleaner? They should be able to look at it and tell you if the stain will come out.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I second / third the pro cleaner advice. I came back from honeymoon with my dress absolutely filthy - ingrained sand, dust, seawater etc. Actually the cleaners said it was some of the worst soiling they'd seen. In 24hrs they had got it 90% clean, clean enough for our reception. They have said if I take it back and they have it for a few weeks, they will get it back to normal Smiley smile

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Cut it up and make shawl/pillow/baby blanket/throw for the end of the bed? Something that would last and remind you of the dress and wedding.

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad this thread has come up. I was wondering what to do with mine.

I got married in Vegas just over a week ago & the bottom of mine is so dirty from walking around the strip. I did try to hike it up most of the time but still it managed to get filthy.

I had to put it on again yesterday for our reception on returning home but it was hard to get excited about wearing a filthy dress! I tried to get it cleaned by our hotel but they returned it untouched as it said it has a label on it saying it was spot clean only.

I've found a company (via Google) which you send your dress away to get cleaned. Im probably going to use them as they say that even if a label states it can only be spot cleaned they can help. The only other option I have is local dry cleaners & I don't even no if they would touch it as it specifically says it can't be dry cleaned.

If it can't be cleaned they I don't see the point in storing a dirty dress but I'm not keen on a trash the dress shoot either!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is a lovely idea ?

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I second the cut it up idea. If you can find someone with sewing skills you could end up with a beautiful throw for your bed or some stunning scatter cushions etc. Don't be disheartened, it might even be worth hunting talented small business people on Etsy or something! :-)

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Where do you live HLT? For some reason I think you're from Essex - if so I've been recommended somewhere in Chelmsford.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.I might have to opt for a Trash The Dress photo-shoot, but may ring a round and see if I can find someone who could do something with it.

I live in Bath Kirstabubble.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Don't dispair Im sure something could be done. Im sure professional cleaners can get it out. I have used treasured possessions online. They courier collected it and am due to get it back this week. So far the service and communication has been impeccable.

Definitely a trash the dress or rock the frock would be a great way to get one last use out of it if you didnt want it professionally cleaned!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No idea where I got Essex from then!!

• VIvixen
    Beginner December 2012
    VIvixen ·
    • Hide content

Have it made in to a handbag! X

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bittersweet. Following your recommendation I'm going to call Tressured Possessions. Hoping they might be able to do something Smiley smile

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

Hey, sorry to hear about your dress. Mine got pink wine down it which was inevitable as I'm never without a glass of it in hand and I like a dance!

My mum has organised mine to be cleaned by Atlantic Bridal Workshop who collect it and from what she has read, provide a fantastic service. Other places charge lots with no guarantees but this place seemed to promise to get it clean. https://www.weddingdresscleaners.net/contact.htm

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

Option 1 - trash the dress! stand under a waterfall or go paintballing!

option 2 - make other things out of it; lingerie, cushion covers, throws, use the netting to make xmas decs!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics