Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2016

What to wear to a church wedding?

mkw, 24 of April of 2015 at 19:23 Posted on Planning 0 6

This is actually a question that relates to a friend's wedding rather than my own... I bought the dress below to wear to a friend's wedding in June, thinking I could just throw a wrap around my shoulders during the church ceremony - it wouldn't matter too much if it matched. However, I have now been asked to do a reading so I don't think the "it doesn't matter" argument works so well now! I don't really have anything that I could wear over the top, and don't really want to buy anything as I don't really have the money.

My question is... could I get away with the dress just as it is? How much shoulder is it acceptable to show for a church wedding?

6 replies

Latest activity by Ash953, 25 of April of 2015 at 09:25
  • M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

A lot of brides wear more revealing (at the top) dresses to a church wedding. Mine will be strapless with a sweetheart neckline for my church wedding so you will be fine. If a guest of mine wore this I would be happy with it. Even if they were doing a reading Smiley smile

You will look fab x

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I am having a church wedding and my Mum and I are both conservative about what should be worn in church, and I think this dress is pretty & perfectly acceptable. X

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My SIL wore a strapless/mini-skirt dress to her daughters christening. It seemed that I was the only one who thought it was a bit skimpy though. Your dress is fine, but if you would feel better covered up, could you get a cheap shawl from a market stall/charity shop? Or borrow something from a friend?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think that dress is fine. Get a wrap anyway because it can be chilly in church.

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

That dress looks respectable - my general rule is no cleavage/exposed backs and nothing higher than the knee. I personally don't like showing my shoulders in church but I think that is the Catholic coming out of me and isn't really based on any real rules! Your dress is totally appropriate, just take care to bring something in case you get cold!

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

I would wear the dress to a church wedding,

agree take a wrap/shawl as it is chilly in churches xx

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

It depends what church and how conservative the church is. I'd ask my friend or buy a cardi.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics