Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Purple Pixie
Beginner July 2012

What to wear to a funeral?

Purple Pixie, 3 September, 2009 at 09:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

We're going to OH's uncle's funeral on Monday and we're struggling with what to wear. It's going to be a fairly formal affair (I'm not sure if formal is the right word) with black attire being requested. The family are quite traditional and also quite stylish/elegant.

I've spoken to my SIL and she's going to be wearing a black dress, cardie, heels and probably a hat. Her OH is wearing a navy suit.

My OH only has a brown suit but it's not that dark and the only ties that go with it are more gold than brown and he's worried about it seeming inappropriate. It would be with a white shirt.

The only things I've got that fit are either a black, pin-striped trouser suit (which looks very businessy) or some dark grey trousers. I am very worried that trousers would almost be frowned upon though.

We've not really got any spare cash but would rather buy things than be disrespectful/look out of place. Do you think we should buy things and if so what? I live in jeans so I'm really struggling.

We're also taking our 3 year old. Totally stuck there.

?

13 replies

Latest activity by Purple Pixie, 4 September, 2009 at 10:12
  • **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

I think the pin striped suit or the grey trousers would be fine. I dont think you have to wear a dress or skirt.

For H if you are looking to buy something, you could try Primark for a black suit that is only cheap. My H did this before for a funeral because he doesnt need suits normally and we didnt have the money to buy him one really (he's an electrician so would never need one for work etc). I think he got trousers, jacket, shirt, black tie for about £35.

• Dr Doo.Little
    Beginner May 2007
    Dr Doo.Little ·
    • Hide content

WPS

The last funeral we went to I wore one of my pinstriped work suits and H ended up buying a new black suit (from River Island) as the only suits he had were brown or very light grey and he wanted a black one.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

WEES for you and H. For your three year old I would think that as long as he/she wears something smartish you don't need to worry too much about the colour. No one would expect you to put a young child in black I'm sure.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Do you really think I'll be ok in trousers? I'm really worried about looking under-dressed. I know that sounds silly for a funeral but everyone is so stylish. I'll never look stylish even dressed up but I'm worried that trousers will look like I've not even made the effort.

Do you think our son would be ok in smart jeans or should I get him some proper trousers? I've no idea where to get him proper trousers from though, I only ever see jeans, joggers or combats for his age.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

I think if you are getting your son something new then dark coloured (navy?) combats would be fine. He is still only a very little boy, people don't expect him to be all "suited and booted". Actually (probably get flamed by someone here but ho hum) I can't stand to see small boys dressed up like little men in suits, ties or, even worse, bow ties. Dark combats and maybe an inexpensive shirt (peacocks/primark/Asda/Tesco) and he will look lovely.

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think trousers are absolutely fine. My mum wore black trousers to my dad's funeral and I'm sure there were other women there in trousers too. I always think as long as it's a dark-ish colour and fairly smart you should be fine.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

Matt's got a nice dark brown shirt so I'll put him that and smart shoes. I'll have a look for trousers but smart jeans sound like they'll be ok if not?

Trousers would be great for me because I've got some black boots that I could wear that I probably couldn't wear with a skirt. The visible bit (with trousers) is fairly plain but they are definitely more evening wear higher up.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks K x

• M
    Mexicana ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I went to my Uncle's funeral on Tuesday with my brother. I wore a dark grey trouser suit with black wedge court shoes and a navy/silver top. My brother wore a black suit with white shirt and black tie.

I've never been to a funeral where trousers for ladies are not classed as 'acceptable'. I don't wear skirts at all so it has always been trousers for me.

I think both your trouser suit or grey trousers would be fine. I would suggest your H goes for a dark grey or black suit though - George at Asda have some really cheap ones at the moment.

As previous people have said, I don't think there's a dress code for children - as long as they're reasonably smart, I really don't think it matters.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I've just remembered that we've got some Next vouchers left from OH's birthday so might have a look in there for a suit for him

Sorry to hear about your loss too Mexicana ?

• swampytiggaa
    swampytiggaa ·
    • Hide content

I wore dark grey trousers with a black shirt and a red suit jacket for my aunts funeral in april.... for my brothers this summer i wore a white dress with black patterns and the same red jacket.

tbh i always think that smart is the main criteria for a funeral rather than black.... for my brothers i almost wore the dark grey trousers with a bright red shirt as he loved red [pall bearers wore red socks and the ladies all wore red nail varnish] but i spotted this dress on a charity shop window and decided it was perfect.

• T
    Beginner October 2008
    tumbleweed ·
    • Hide content

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it but if you're looking at tradition it would be usual for your H to wear a black tie. I'm sure he'd be able to borrow one - most men acquire them at some time.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks tumbleweed. I think he's got a black tie actually, just not a suit that goes with. Well, he does, but it's been several sausage rolls since he fitted into it ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics