Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ruthy_wuthy
Beginner September 2009

What to wear to an evening reception

ruthy_wuthy, 4 of September of 2008 at 11:29 Posted on Planning 0 14

I've never ever ever been to a wedding or evening reception so I really don't know what to wear.

Can you please help?

Don't want anything too expensive..and I have a round tum ( too many takeaways) so it has to somehow hide that.

14 replies

Latest activity by **Pip**, 4 of September of 2008 at 15:54
  • ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Is it a very formal wedding?

Do you like wearing dresses or trousers?

What sort of colours do you like?

When is it and where (marquee or hotel, etc)?

What's your rough budget?

We went to an evening reception the other week. I wore trousers and a nice top. My OH wore a shirt and tie and my friend who came with us wore a nice dress. It was held in a pub with a marquee at the back. I needed to have my cardi on for a lot of the night.

• ruthy_wuthy
    Beginner September 2009
    ruthy_wuthy ·
    • Hide content

It's quite formal. I'd like to wear a dress because I normally wear jeans and trainers so gives me an excuse to dress up!

I like all colours really but pink and blue are my favourite, or purple....I want something bright and cheery - or is that not the done thing?

It's in October in a hotel.. I think! We haven't received any invitations with info - the bride and groom are just spreading the word but OH tends to forget the little details that he doesn't think are important!

I would probably want to spend no more than £30-£40 for a dress or an outfit - not including shoes etc... I know it's not much.

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

Now should be a good time to look for a nice dress as all the shops will be getting their party outfits in ready for christmas

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_66154_640382_-1

Any good ruthy? Along the right lines or not?

What shops do you normally go to?

• ruthy_wuthy
    Beginner September 2009
    ruthy_wuthy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh that's lovely! What would you wear it with?

I don't really go clothes shopping but when I do, I only really go to really cheap shops like Primark or i bay stuff from ebay ?

I'm a lost cause aren't I!!

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Well you can always accessorize with bits from cheaper shops. A nice wrap and shoes, etc.

Here's another option. You said you like bright and cheery!!

https://www.usc.co.uk/

• ruthy_wuthy
    Beginner September 2009
    ruthy_wuthy ·
    • Hide content

I love that dress - that website is a fabulous find!!

I also like this one:

but I think it's probably a bit OTT for reception?

Ooooh I don't know....it's so difficult!

Thanks for all your help ashmegdj!

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

No worries, glad I could be some help.

My daughter loves republic, even at her age (12), and they always have good priced stuff.

• rlw2b
    Beginner September 2008
    rlw2b ·
    • Hide content

I think for the evening reception you can definitley go a bit less formal and a bit more glam - I know thats what I'm hoping my guests will do (and I know the girls from work won't disappoint!).

I'd recommend TK Maxx - go at a quiet time, preferably early in the morning when its tidy and have a good root through their dresses. Some are truly hideous 80's/90's ballroom creations but I got a fabulous gold and bronze dress form their and have worn it to 2 weddings and got nothing but compliments (I'm actually wearing it in my avatar photo!). Also you can be pretty damn sure you won't see anyone in the same thing - I hate it when that happens!

Edit - Forgot to say it was only 20 quid!

• S
    Beginner October 2008
    Sands ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh that is a really good question indeed..... I have the same problem i have no idea what to wear for my meal thing after my wedding at the registry office☹️

What sort of taste do you have and do you have a vague idea of what you're after?

• ruthy_wuthy
    Beginner September 2009
    ruthy_wuthy ·
    • Hide content

I'm not really looking for a dress for my own evening reception as I think I will probably just wear my wedding dress the whole day. I have a wedding reception to go to in October and I'd like to wear something funky but obvisouly not too clubby or going outy.

I don't really go out very much so I'm just using it to get dressed up!! He he!

• S
    Beginner October 2008
    Sands ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my bad sorry!

• ruthy_wuthy
    Beginner September 2009
    ruthy_wuthy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh don't worry! I probably didn't explain it properly in the first place!!

xxxxxxxxxx

• kittyboo
    Beginner May 2009
  • **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics