Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

What to wear to an interview?! GOT AN INTERVIEW!! :o)

LooseLadie, 18 June, 2010 at 16:35 Posted on Planning 0 23

I know its probably a bit of a stupid question but i have just recieved a letter to say i have gone up a stage in a job application and they will contact me in the next 28days if i am successful in getting an interview.

Its only a sales assistant job but i would love to work there as its such a nice place and only 5 mins from where i live so ideal really.

Because i have always worked with H2b at our own business (which we sold in feb 2010) I dont want to tempt fate because i might not get an interview but I havent had an interview for years and im scared!! I just have no idea what to wear! Its not like a professional interview so the whole suit is a bit much but i want to look smart.

Ideas ladies?!

23 replies

Latest activity by debmci, 7 September, 2010 at 18:59
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What sort of place would you be working in and what do they tend to wear there? I really don't think you can be too smart for an interview.

Big smile, decent eye contact and a firm handshake. Good luck! x

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Claire, I've worn shirt and trousers to most of my interviews, for shops and Uni and it seems to work for me. Good luck! x

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

I think it entirely depends on what kind of place it is - you should at least be smarter than what the people there wear normally Smiley smile I'd at least wear something tailored and sharp (trousers and shirt?), unless that's completely inappropriate.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I used to work as a retail store manager and interviewed lots of applicants for sales assistant jobs. You'll be suprised at what some people turn up in ! Personally, I always preferred someone who wore a suit or smart dress and jacket. I probably wouldn't object to smart blouse and trousers/skirt if it was a Saturday job but full or part time, I always preferred a jacket Doesn't have to be dark coloured though - wouldn't expect people to turn up like they were going to a court appearance LOL!

Tips for the interview, relax, be yourself, ask lots of questions and smile! Oh, and make sure you go for a wee before because you can bet your bottom dollar, you'll want to go midway through the interview! Good luck!

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

I'd say wear a suit even if you wouldnt wear one to work there... will look truly professional x

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Hehehe this reminds me of when i went for my interview for my first NHS care job, i went shopping for a nice dress smart but not formal and some shoe's had a phonecall that same day to say i'd got the job, but then decided the dress and shoes didnt suit me so took them back!!!! 11 years later im still with the NHS but in a more varied roll and with a different trust!!!!

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its an upper market garden center that sells desginer clothes, hot tubs, small animals and expensive arts and crafts stuff. They sell the most amazing stuff at christmas but ive never bought anything because its so expensive! Maybe this year i will be able to afford it with a discount card ;-)

I think im going to go along the lines of black trousers and smart top Smiley smile

Thank you ladies

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

If i even get an interview ?

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

I woul go for a nice dress and leggings or something like that! Would show you made the effort but didnt go over the top!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case then, they will want you to wear something which reflects the image that they wish to portray to their customers i.e., smart/chic rather than formal and starchy - the store I managed was designer clothes and anyone who turned up in jeans or stretch pants (no matter how expensive they were!) didn't stand a chance with the owners from the minute they walked in. I would say you are on the right lines with black trousers and a smart but not too restricted top but definitely not showing too much cleveage just in case it's a woman interviewer !!!!

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

I got an interview!!

2.30pm tomorrow!! :-O Scared lol!

Do you think this top with black trousers would be ok?

(its the blue one)

https://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/casual/27/2

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

O i like that top! That would be lovely! And maybe nice purple shoes??

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on the job interview ?

Personally, I don't like that top much, I think it's too casual for an interview and it's a bit busy. I'd go for something plainer in a colour that suits well with some nice accessories.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Goodluck, keeping all Xd for you x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Honest opinion....? It's too casual and "busy" for an interview - lovely top though! Do you have something like a linen look jacket? If they sell designer clothes, they will be looking for something smart but not stuffy.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the ladies I'm afraid I think it's too busy and a bit casual.

Whoever said linen I think is very close. I think you don't want something button-up but something that looks tailored and smart. This might be an idea for example

http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Jerseywear/Linen-Jersey-Twist-Top/300750101?colour=neutral

or even this could be good I think.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_54488+P1A7405_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Women~Tops

I think the key is classy but neutral.

Actually I think the jacques vert range at Debs is prob a good place to start - this for example is only £25

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_54488+N1C7410_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Women~Tops

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

The top is definitely a bit too casual, something plainer with a jacket would be better (unless it stays this warm!), but well done on the interview! Best of luck x

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

It is a lovely top, but not really for an interview. My friend had it on last night when we went out and I thought it was lovely then. I would just wear a plain shirt with your trousers or something like this: http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/tailoredlooks/26/2

Good luck with the interview

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Brideseekingblush - i have two tops very similar to those in purple and white but itried them on and they pull at the back where i have put on weight so unfortunately not!

I have decided to go with a top i bought a month ago and have never worn with black trousers.

The interview is in half hour at 2.30pm so im going to leave in a minute (its a 5min drive away!)

But i must admit i am absolutely S*itting myself!

I will update you all on how it went later! 👋

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

High waisted black skirt, with tucked in white shrt and a big belt! Smiley smile thats would look smart, but also fashionable.

All the best with it! Smiley smile And remember to make eye contact with all the panel when answering questions! Smiley smile

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

(old thread) but did you get the job natty?? I cant recall what the outcome was... x

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Yeh i got the job Smiley smile x

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

i vaguely remembered the thread but thought it was someone else now! OOPS!! lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics