Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

What was your first ever job?

Becklarrr, 5 November, 2012 at 15:02

Posted on Off Topic Posts 48

Mine was a newspaper girl, I had to deliver 226 papers and had to pull them around in a massive yellow trolley very embarrassing!!!

Mine was a newspaper girl, I had to deliver 226 papers and had to pull them around in a massive yellow trolley very embarrassing!!!

48 replies

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I waitressed at Poppins for about £1.20 an hour when I was 15. It was run by Turkish Cypriots who always tried to get me to stay behind and "teach them English". Eeeeuuuwwww! Still, it meant a bit of independence and some extra cash, This was wayyyy before minimum wage, and in, errrm, 1989, £1.20 an hour was bad, but not horrific.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I was a receptionist/assistant in student services at an FE college. Pretty dull, but could have been much worse, and it was £6 an hour! I remember on a couple of days when I had to do nothing but put address stickers on envelopes, I calculated how much I was earning per minute, how long it took me to earn a penny etc...

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I was on the tills at Somerfield. When I was 18 I got 'promoted' to the cigarettes and alcohol kiosk. When I first started I was really smug cos I earnt 5 pounds an hour which was more than my friends who worked at Sainsburys!

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content

Working at a chemist for £2 per hour on a saturday for 5 hours as I was only 13 years old!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Laundry room at a residential home when I was 14. I wasn't allowed to touch soiled stuff cos of my age. Used to take home £60 a weekend and felt super rich - This was 12 years ago, mind! I left when I was 16 as I then worked 40 hours a week while I was training for a measly £65! Actual slave labour.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I worked on a children's farm for £2.50 an hour. I had to deal with a lot of poo and wee, fortunately never human tho. When my mum picked me up she used to make me sit on plastic bags in the car cos I stank of pig ***.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Legoland after I finished my GCSE's

I used to work in the shops or on photo pphotography

It was awesome

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I think my paper round was my first job. Quite enjoyed it!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

??

Mine was working in a bookies when I was 18. Had that job for 3 years until I moved and became a bus driver 5 1/2 years ago. My CV is super short!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I had a Sunday job in Dunelm - loved it. Worked on the curtains department doing all the made-to-measure orders. Was also a back-up till person, but I was usually too busy on the curtains dept. to do the tills. Hoorah as I hated the tills!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Oh the Poo tales!

MissRae that is terrible! Did you report him?

My first job was in a little sandwich shop, the owner would go out to make the deliverys so I would take the orders and make the butties/baguettes etc.

Age 13 I am sure their should have been some health and safety about me being alone in the kitchen but I only burnt / cut myself every other week or so...!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had a group job interview here when I was looking for a part time job at uni, was a weird interview!

Vanilla Pod- I had a friend who used to work at Warehouse and they had a man some in a do a poo in their changing rooms! yuck!

Apart from Babysitting, my first proper job was a christmas temp at Argos. It was during my time that they went from the hideous shirts and grey skirts the ther seriously bright outfits.

i got alled into the office in January and got told that they were really impressed with me and wanted to give me a permanent contract. I burst into tears as I hated it there!

I then went on to Next and loved it so stayed for a couple of years until I moved to Uni!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Unless you count babysitting (which I started doing at 12), my first real job was at Starbucks when I was 18. Became a supervisor after a year and stayed on another 2 years before getting tired of it! I still have the scars of being a sbux partner - coffee addiction! I still remember my partner number and everything! ****! I couldn't even hazard a guess at what number they're up to now - mine was from 2003!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

My mum insisted a got a job at 16. I fobbed her off until she forced me to apply to Maccy Ds. I hated it. I pretended I kept forgetting what to do so other people would showme again I.e do the work for me. Walked out after a year and a half with no stars having overheard the manager being sarky about me. I still don't go to Macdonalds after 14 years.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics