Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Knees
VIP August 2012

What was your school uniform?

Knees, 25 October, 2011 at 11:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 30

And did you like it?

A few people mentioned in the sports thread what their uniform was. Years 7-11 had white or sky blue polo shirts with navy jumpers and black trousers or skirts. 6th form had white polo shirts and black jumpers, although ties were awarded for achievements in music or sports.

I liked my uniform because it was really comfy and they were pretty laid back about how it looked. My skirts were generally an awful lot shorter than they should have been!

30 replies

Latest activity by Panjita, 26 October, 2011 at 12:06
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Years 9-11 we had white crested polo shirts and a bottle green ? sweatshirt..black trousers or skirt

In 6th Form you could wear what you liked as long as it wasnt denim! they did say theyd prefer shades fo black white and navy blue tho, but no one stuck to that!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Years 7-10 nasty grey sweatshirt, white polo shirt and grey trousers/skirt

Year 11- as above but replacing grey with black.

Trousers were generally of a stretchy bootcut variety- only found in the late 90s- I had a pair that were ribbed which were particularly nasty.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Years 7 to 9 - black shirt, black trousers, black jumper with school crest on, shirt and a red tie.

Years 10 - 11 - same as above but grey tie and you could wear grey skirt/trousers if you wished.

Sixth form - no uniform at all.

I liked my uniform and think we got off lightly!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I had these! Also a little bit shiny.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sometimes with a faux silver belt thing across the front?

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

High school - Grey or black skirt, white shirt and maroon jumper or cardigan - you could wear black when you were in the 5th year. Tie was like this:

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

and from the market. I also got all my "record bags" from the market too.

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

We wore a grey skirt and jumper with either a green or purple blouse underneath. The boys had a white shirt, purple and green tie, grey jumper and a black blazer with the school badge on. Think they wore dark grey trousers but it was a long time ago so can't quite remember.

I didn't mind my uniform as such. One year though my mother decided to try her hand at sewing. She produced this amazingly awful full on flared, over the knee skirt thing and insisted I wore it. The highlight of my humiliation happened in a metal work lesson on a ridiculous skirt wearing day, when for filling 2mm to far the teacher made me stand in the sink and sing nursery rhymes to the rest of the class. Sounds funny i guess but at the time felt like utter utter humiliation!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Bottle green blazer, white shirt, bottle green tie with gold/red stripes with black trousers. Fit.

Yellow boxes worn on head were purely optional.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Record bags that said things like "Technics?"

I had a "genuine" NafNaf bag from a sadly demised place called "The Charlotte Superstore"- it was basically a glorified covered market in town. My Umbro shorts for PE also came from there.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Ours was digusting!

Brown skirt or culottes

White v-neck shirt

Brown jumper or cardigan

Black coat

black socks or tights

Black Shoes

In Y10-Y11 it was a maroon jumper instead of a brown one, and in 6th form it was "smart business-like dress"

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Navy or black trousers/skirt and crested poloshirt/ shirt and school tie / navy jumper.

In Sixth year it was navy or black shirt/trousers, white shirt, Prefect blazer which was navy and green, and a tie corresponding to our prefect "team". Sadly, I did love rocking the blazer!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, should have mentioned didn't have to wear uniform in sixth form.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Me aged 11.

Liking it or not liking it was not an option - we just had to wear it, end of story.

I think school uniform should be compulsory up to at least the last year before sixth form - it would solve so many problems.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I thought I was the height of fashion when I got genuine Kickers shoes to wear to school. My previous pair were a rip off from Clarks.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought it was?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Ours was ok. Black trousers or skirt with a navy sweater, white shirt and blue stripey tie.

If we were feeling paricularly chavy the girls would wear a fetching polo neck jumper under our shirt to look 'cool' ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

I was so proud when I got them. I kept the rubber tag on my pencil case zip just so people could see it!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You'd be forgiven thinking it wasn't when you see the things some kids think are fine to wear to school.

I guess it's a battle I'll be having in due course...

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Disgusting, but apparently all the craze in japan!

this is one of our blazers!

https://tokyofashion.com/blonde-japanese-guy-in-green-striped-blazer/

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

We had gold and white stripe shirts, dark brown skirts, dark brown jumpers and this blazer

In prep school we had to wear white gloves and straw boaters when outside school or a dark brown felt boater in the winter. The girls at the county high school round the corner always used to pick fights with us when we walked round to get the bus, calling us deckchairs....must have taken them ages to think up that!

It was also a convent school and we had to wear brown knickers which were part of the uniform and we weren't allowed to wear patent shoes in case any workmen could see anything in the reflection!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

White shirt, black skirt/trousers, red jumper/cardi, black tie with red and yellow stripes. In sixth form, we could wear whatever (within modesty).

As one of the good and brainy girls, the teachers were somewhat more lenient (read: indulgent) with my uniform. This meant that by fifth year, I was wearing Doc Martin boots, thick black tights, tiny short skirts and a red long-sleeved jersey top (no shirt), all without sanction.

And hence why I look like I'm wearing my school uniform today. Swap the DMs for a pair of knee-high biker boots and the red jersey top for a red three-quarter sleeve jumper and voila!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh, it was awful.

For girls, in winter we had a heavy woollen long tartan skirt, which had to be at least 2 inches below knee length - when I was there the trend was for them to be ankle-length - with black tights; in the summer we had a long pleated white cotton skirt with some kind of blue leafy pattern on it, with which we had to wear white ankle socks. With this we had a white shirt and navy double-breasted blazer. All of this was so hideous that there wasn't really much opportunity for anyone to adapt it to look "cool."

The boys had to wear grey-green tweed blazers, white shirt and a tie in house colours.

We used to have to ask for permission to take our blazers off in class, apart from a few weeks at the height of summer where the Head would decree "shirt-sleeve order" and you could go out with out it and even *shock, horror* roll up your sleeves! There was also tonnes of regulation PE/games kit, and even a regulation scarf and swimming hat!

In 6th form it was a bit better - the boys could either wear their tweed blazers or a suit, and the girls had a compulsory dark grey blazer but could wear any black/grey skirt (as long as it was not more than 2 inches above knee length!) and any white top. I think they've now allowed girls to wear trousers, but I had to get a special permission letter from the head of the music department to allow me to wear trousers when I went to and from the music building to play my cello.

Looking back, it seems like so much petty madness, but I can almost see why they did it.

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

Eminently sensible. Navy skirt, navy jumper, green purse belt, white blouse: either a long sleeved one with a proper collar which had to be worn with the school tie (blue, green and yellow diagonal stripes) or an open necked short sleeved shirt - and woe betide anyone who wore a long sleeved shirt without a tie. In summer a navy blazer and there was the option of a floral skirt but very few wore it - I think two students in my year. You couldn't buy the skirt ready made, you had to get the fabric and make it yourself (or persuade someone else to!).

We had a school scarf as well but the only head gear that was allowed was a beret. We were very jealous when first years were allowed to wear bobble hats in school colours as these would have kept your ears warm.

PE kit was a yellow airtex blouse (sort of a polo shirt) with a navy pleated skirt and navy knickers. For gym, we wore the shirt with the knickers and no skirt! I don't think we were ever allowed to wear tracksuit trousers, even for hockey in the height of winter.

In sixth form we didn't have to wear uniform but weren't allowed to wear trousers.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

It was awful, blazer, knee length kilt style skirt, shirt etc.

Although in the 2nd year i wised up and rolled my skirt up to thigh length ? undid my shirt at the collar, and made my tie short, along with a pair of heels. Blimey!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Black blazer with the school crest on one pocket.

Maroon tie with either orange, yellow or green stripes (Depended on which house you were in).

Black trousers.

White shirt.

Pretty smart but hated it. I still have my school tie, complete with grafitti and badges!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

First & Middle School (Years R, and 1 - 7) - brown skirt, white shirt with brown and gold tie (on elastic), brown jumper with gold stripe around the v-neck* or yellow check dress in the summer.

*lovingly referred to as the sh!t & p!ss colour scheme - can add photo later!!

High School (Years 8-9) - navy skirt, white shirt, navy and silver striped tie (worn backwards so it was skinny), oversized navy blue knitted jumper if required (you could see the static sparks if you took it off in the dark) and navy blazer.

High School (Years 10-11) - navy skirt, white shirt, navy solid colour tie (only if you were a prefect and couldn't be worn skinny as it had a crest), same oversized navy blue knitted jumper.

We fought for the right to wear trousers for 4 years, they brought them in the year after I left.

Sixth Form - whatever the hell we liked!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Mine was a grey skirt, white shirt and navy jumper with school crest.

Husband's was grey trouser, grey blazer, white shirt and house tie. The cricket team had to wear an awesome black and yellow striped blazer and when playing wear yellow and white baggy caps! The old boys who still tour every year still play in their caps and black and yellow trimmed jumpers!

Not all properly dressed but a bit like this:

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Black trousers and a white shirt with a bottle green blazer and a green and gold tie.

In the last year, if you were a prefect, the ties changed to all green with the school crest on.

Sixth form we could wear what we wanted.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

The school KV went to was just up the road from where I lived and I always envied their uniform. The girls always looked lovely and sophisticated and they all seemed to have gorgeous floppy hair that they swooped from side to side nonchalantly.

KV - do you remember Isobel Peake? My brother had a date with her once, she was one of the gorgeous floppy haired crew that I envied. Such a shame what happened to her, tragic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics