Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2012

What welcome/arrival drinks are you having? - I'm stuck

miss_sunshine, 4 December, 2011 at 09:06 Posted on Planning 0 23

As it's xmas and plenty of deals out there on booze thought I'd get all my drinks in for my wedding. We can provide any drinks we like with no corkage fee.

We have got all the table wine and port for the cheese and biscuits afterwards sorted. Am currently on the look out for some great deals on cava or presecco for the toast. So all is left are the welcome/arrival drinks. As my H2B plays a lot of cricket/hockey we have got loads of bottles of beer 'for the lads' that will be there. Now all I need is another drink idea for the welcome drinks. I kind of opted for bucks fizz as we are having early ceremony at 12:30 so it wouldn't be too heavey (and a cheaper option than fizz) but since then loads of people have said on other forums and on the internet that they hate going to a wedding where there is 'boring bucks fizz'... What are you doing? I'm stuck... I just don't want to blow a fortune on the choice I make as I am trying to provide 2 or 3 drinks for every one (100 guests).

FYI: there will also be a bar open for people to buy drinks

Thanks for you help in advance!!!!!!!!

23 replies

Latest activity by Kalie85, 5 December, 2011 at 14:12
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

What about sparkling wine? More interesting than normal wine but no as expensive as full on champers! Although you have said theres a bar so if theres anyone who doesn't like what you've provided they can just buy their own so I wouldn't worry too much about it, you'll never please everyone!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss_sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Yeah that true! Its funny How much you over think things when a wedding is involved....

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Ours is "pomegranate scented fizz" which translates to cava with pomegranate juice!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss_sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Ooooo that actually sounds lush!

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

As ouros is a summer wedding, we're having real ale (part of the reason our reception is where it is.. he loves real ale) and if like me, people don't want real ale, it'll be pimms o'clock! :-) Another option was to have fruity sparkling wine - but these were all sweet which I'm not a fan of! So thought I'd go for my favourite summer drink instead. Pick something you enjoy, it's your day!

• lisaanne
    Beginner April 2012
    lisaanne ·
    • Hide content

We're having kir royale, but with sparkling wine instead of champagne!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

What time of year is your wrdding Miss Sunshine?

We're having a choice of Pimms, Buck's Fizz and Bubbles as ours is a summer wedding. For a winter wedding you could have Pimms to, but the winter recipe which is lush, or maybe mulled wine. Just some ideas as I dont actually know what time of year your getting hitched! ?

• MrsG2B28.7.12
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsG2B28.7.12 ·
    • Hide content

Pompey Paula

You live in the same place as me and are going to be Mrs G too! Sorry...Simple things...

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hooray! Always nice to find a fellow Pompey lass on here!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss_sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Its end of June so summer wedding.... I love the ides of pimms but its up to us to sort out the drinks they just serve them so we would have to provide all the pimms, cut fruit and lemonade etc etc... prob isn't an issue for many people but one more thing to add on to the list to sort in the couple of days leading up to the wedding! I don't know.... Originally I was thinking pimms, then bucks fizz.. so maybe I should go with both!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We had bellinis made with prosecco (as they should be!) or just plain prosecco.

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

We had a choice of Bucks Fizz, sparkling wine or Pimm's

• W
    Wedding Time ·
    • Hide content

Sparkling wine with creme de cassis is great.

• -
    Beginner May 2012
    -*Jo*- ·
    • Hide content

I think we're going to have Pimms.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't think Bucks Fizz is boring. I love it and you're right, a lot of people will be want something less alcoholic at that point. Also means orange juice for those not drinking and they won't feel as 'different' as everyone else. Use freshly squeezed if you want to make it more special (that will be a headache to get off the glasses though!). One wedding I went to also had jugs of G&T! I love this and planning to do the same. It is my signature drink!

At a wedding last winter they had lots of prosecco and sparkling elderflower made with cordial and sparkling water. It tasted really nice and had the bonus of looking similar to the prosecco.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We're just having red and white wine, and orange juice as the welcome drinks at our reception. We are providing champagne for the toasts, and see no need to do anything more since it's a laid back barn affair - hog roast, ceilidh etc. There will be a cash bar for anyone wanting anything else to start with, and for people to buy their own drinks through the evening.

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

We just had cava (or prosecco - not sure) and orange juice with canapes for our welcome. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about what it is ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We're probably going to have pink cava/prosecco. I'd be a bit more creative if I could afford it but the bar will be open for anyone who wants anything different.

We'll do orange juice for the non drinkers (I can't see there being many!).

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

We are having cocktails including Pimms, Kir Royale and Alabama Slammers. We might also do some bottles beers for the lads yet.

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

We are having passionfruit mimosas. Which are sparkling wine and passionfruit juice. And its lush. I've just bought Martini Asti from tescos wine online for under £4 per bottle. I thin k they had martini prosecco on offer too.

• Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

We had prosecco and elderflower presse for those who didnt want alcohol. Im sure your guests will appreciate any drink you give them, especially if theres going to be a bar open too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics