Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becca
Dedicated October 2006

What would you expect for a £7k website revamp?

Becca, 3 of May of 2009 at 10:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

The same company that produced our website a few years ago (for £2k), have quoted us £7k for updating it. I appreciate that a good website is worth investment, and some companies pay way more, but just wondering if they are taking advantage of my H being very laid back and wanting the easy life of staying with the same company.

They are improving our accessibility, 'updating the corporate identity', and making us more able change content on the pages ourselves ("Fully Content Managed Backend – built on the Joomla 1.5.10 Platform").

This is our current website www.polmanter.com

Any advice??

20 replies

Latest activity by Kyle, 16 of February of 2024 at 12:58
  • Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

Shop around and get some other quotes woul d be my advice - £7k sounds a lot of money for the type of website you have

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

I would say you've been had. For £7k I'd expect a gold plated website with interactive content, bells and whistles!

Shop around ?

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

I agree - £7K does sound like a lot.

On the other hand, what they're proposing is much more than a simple makeover - it's a complete internal structural rethink, replacing the static pages with dynamic ones served by a content management system, and ending up with something far more sophisticated (at least behind the scenes) than the original. If they do it properly, the end result will be that you have far more control over the content of your site, and can make instant changes without having to ring them up and get charged.

So it's clearly a much bigger job than the original one, but I'm completely out of touch with current web rates, so I don't know if £7K is reasonable for that sort of thing or not.

• A
    anna belle ·
    • Hide content

7k is a lot for a Content Management System for a site such as yours. I used to be a web designer for many years, still do a bit now and again. I used to do CMS systems regularly and they ranged from 1k - 6k, for your site I would probably say around 2k.

I created a full CMS site, with interactive shopping mall, paypal intergrations and loads of other features for 6k for a large company, in comparison, yours wouldn't need anything close to the complicated coding that that site needed. All my CMS systems were custom made too, never used a 3rd party system like they are suggesting because I preferred the flexibility of coding my own.

If you need any help let my know, I'll be happy to assist ? Web design can be a minefield and it helps to have a guiding hand.

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I've stayed on that campsite!

• S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

The "availability and book now" button thing winds up smack bang in the middle of your title banner on my version of Firefox - I'd expect that not to happen for 2K let alone 7K.

The campsite looks lovely though?

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine too.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

I work for a digital marketing agency, and we don't get out of bed for less than £50K if that helps ?

Did you ask them to integrate a CMS with the site? The cost of updates as and when required by the digital agency (or even learn to do them yourself in HTML if they're just minor text changes) might be a lot cheaper than the £7K, unless you are getting a lot more for that. It is expensive and a pain in the derriere to retrofit a site with a CMS - they may actually be charging you to rebuild the whole thing - have they mentioned that?

Re accessibility, without looking at the source code (and I'm not a developer anyway), it doesn't look THAT bad anyway - a few headings that are images instead of text, but it certainly isn't completely inaccessible.

Do you have a breakdown of the 7K? Is it in a shopping list format that you can pick and choose which elements of upgrade you go for? I really don't think the site looks that bad, and unless there are some real bugbears that are causing you grief, I don't think you need to spend that.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

PS We would charge about £7K to update the corporate identity alone. Don't come to us ?

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

I'll do it for £1k ?

Sounds one hell of a lot tbh. You could do it yourself on Wordpress pretty easily.

• C
    Beginner June 2006
    Croyde ·
    • Hide content

My husband runs his own web development company and could do what you need for under £1k.

As an aside, I am Marketing and Comms Manager and when I put our website out to tender, we had a full CMS, templates, rebrand etc we paid £5k ...there was about 10 navigation sections with about 30 - 40 pages.

• A
    anna belle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't agree with that (but them maybe I'm just very good at building CMS systems! ? ) - the site actually works very well as it is for a CMS template as the layout is simple and wouldn't take long to fit around a CMS - to be honest for 7k on a small site like this I'd be expecting a full re-design and re-bulid as well, plus lots of bells and whistles on top.

Obviously it depends on your location as it affects pricing, but with web design you can use someone whos not in your area and communicate via email and telephone - it's just as easy. There are companies that are aimed at larger companies like I guess the one Flump works for, but there are many other reasonable companies based in the price range you are looking at. Hope you manage to get what you want!

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

[cough] PIN number ?

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

We are in the process of switching website providers. We are keeping our current look and branding. For £7k from our new providers I would have expected :

rebranding, content management and a full online gallery (we're a photography studio) system, which customers could order from (not an off the shelf one)designed by them and built into the site.

I think £7k is an awful lot for what you're after.

We are using these people : www.urbanelement.com they work all over the uk and I am finding them excellent to deal with. (Unlike the previous provider, who I absolutely detested).

L
    xx

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

Thnaks for your replies everyone. Looks like I'll have to persuade H to hold them off for a while while I get some more quotes.

H has given me the detailed quote, and its not quite £7k they're asking for for the website, as they are also doing some work on the brochure. It breaks down as follows:

• Developing and update of corporate identity, revision of website design and layout, incorporating revised corporate style £1095
    • Build of content managed back end and html/css front end of website. Features and accessibility testing. £2895
    • Pick a pitch V2 development, presentation and integration into website front end £1485
    • 1yr hosting, setup, transfer and integration of Joomla into database £160 1yr search engine positioning service £120. 1yr server based antivirus protection £110, 1 yr server based anti-spam protection £120.
    • Setup of Polmanter Email Marketing system. Import of email contacts database £50
    • Email marketing template Polmanter Design for Newsletter/Special offers Emailing £495
    • Professional language translations TBC
    • Profesional Photography TBC

What is a content managed back end?? And do we need one to be able to change our special offers / pitch availability information?!

• Tillybean
    Tillybean ·
    • Hide content

I used http://www.richsalter.net/ to design and build a couple of websites for me, as well as doing all the logo and branding work and really rate him. Maybe worth getting another quote.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

I also have an email newsletter - it cost £150.00-£200.00 I think to be corporate branded and I have paid nothing for data import as it can all be done by ourselves.

L
    xx

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

That quote is really reasonable, now you've provided the breakdown.

The 'Pick a Pitch' thing is quite complex, well it's Flash-based anyway and I presume database driven, so if you want that with more bells and whistles than at the moment, that's why that cost is relatively sizable.

Content managed back end is basically the provision of the CMS, and integrating it into the front end, so you can update the content. As I said in my earlier post, you really need to work out how much it would cost to do those updates yourself/via the agency through the HTML rather than a CMS. I'll tell you it's surprising the number of clients who spend a fortune with us on a CMS for their site, and then end up still ringing us up to make the changes as they're too lazy! ?

So if you take out the upgrade to have a CMS (I don't think you need it), and don't do the Pick a Pitch upgrade, it's really really reasonable. Lois, it's £50 to set up the email system system, AND importing the contacts, sounds bargainous. I would say you really have to compare like for like (i.e. see a visual representation, and a more detailed functional and technical specification) to be able to say that something can be cheaper elsewhere. I would say the email marketing template is a little expensive (i.e equivalent to what we would charge our clients ?), so why don't you ask them to reduce that. Have you gone back to them anyway to query the costs?? First thing a client should do...!

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Flump, we have sent an email back already asking them to explain why they think we need to spend so much. I think they are getting a bit carried away whith what they could do, vs what we need really.

• K
    Illinois
    Kyle ·
    • Hide content

Did you lose your BTC to online theft or mistakenly sent your funds to a wrong wallet address and you are trying to recover your funds/cryptocurrency. I suggest you contact Hack Recovery Support on their address, HACKRECOVERY(at)YANDEX(dot)RU, their team of experts are really good in funds recovery and was the service support that helped me recover by BTC lost to online theft. I hope this helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics