Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

What would your alternative wedding be like?

Erin8, 18 of March of 2014 at 23:32 Posted on Planning 0 23

I was just thinking what my alternative wedding would look like... We are getting married in Vegas just the 2 of us and then having a wedding party when we get back. In an alternative universe then l am thinking we would go for getting married at a landmark in central Manchester (where l am from originally) e.g. the Town Hall or in central London. We still wouldn't have a massive guest list, probably just close family and friends. Food would be a roast, BBQ, curry or something informal. Not sure if l would change my dress... I was wondering what everyone else would go for? I don't want to change my plans as l am really have with them just wondering what the alternative would be.

23 replies

Latest activity by Elixia, 19 of March of 2014 at 16:47
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Hmm toughie, i'd probably say it'd be something like Vegas or a beach somewhere. We'd be the same guest wise wouldn't want the whole family there or anything haha.

Dress wise i'd always love a tea length dress but just don't have the figure to pull it off so if I could change my figure for a day i'd do that haha!

• leecindy
    Beginner November 2014
    leecindy ·
    • Hide content

It is ok.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

This is going to sound stupid but I think id still have the same wedding . If money was no object id have a free bar, amazing cars , transport for the guests , more wine on the tables, a longer guest list , id pay the farmer off so we could have fireworks lol but all in all I'm pretty happy .

I guess the only alternative I could think of would be to fly everyone abroad and Book a whole hotel and get married there x I would have a floaty beach dress if I went for this x

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

My alternative would be Italy - a civil ceremony in a beautiful building ans hire a restayrant out for the reception. Guest list would obviously be smaller. We seriously looked into it before we decided to get married here but in the end we knew key family members would struggle to join us. As it turns out, a lot of them aren't coming anyway now ! Ha! But I do love what we''ve chosen now, I just like the Italy idea too.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a guest list of about 70, in a church, reception at a golf club, big dress, lots of flowers etc. my alternative would be to go to the local registry office with my oh and two children one afternoon, followed by a happy meal! Totally normal, like we just popped in! It would certainly be a lot cheaper! Some days I do think I should have gone for this rather than spend all this money for 'one day', but I've dreamt off it my whole life and I think I'd regret it if I didn't do it. My bil and sil got married in a registry office with 12 of us there and they can hardly bare to talk about it...

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Oooh good thread!

We originally wanted a tipi wedding but when we went to out venue we fell on love & that plan went out the window.

We're getting married in a nice hotel with a full sit down dinner, my alternative would be that I'd go down the tipi route, have a very relaxed atmosphere with something like a BBQ. A bit of a festival vibe.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I love the plans for our wedding day and it's totally us, but... I always wanted an intimate and relaxed wedding abroad on a beach, but when we got engaged we realised some older family members wouldn't have been able to make it so we stayed closer to home, so it would be a destination wedding for us.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I would have a fancy dress theme where everyone had to come dressed as something beginning with the letter "B" - just for laughs!!!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Mine would be the opposite to you Erin we did the Central London thing but in an alternative would love to have had a Vegas wedding.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, Vegas for me - we couldn't afford it in the end. But we do plan to go there eventually for a delayed honeymoon and possibly renew our vows. I wouldn't change anything else about it - it would still just be us two. I guess I might have gone for a slightly glitzier dress, but not necessarily.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My wedding was exactly what we wanted, just us two, and my boys (plus our witnesses, obvs), so I guess my alternative would to have the same, but possibly in NYC.

Oh, i'd possibly have different shoes, but i'd keep the same dress.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I'd probably have about three alternatives, one would be a barn wedding with hog roast, one would involve a villa in Spain and one would be a festival style wedding with camping.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

The whole reason we decided to go abroad was because of the sunshine, we agreed that if we got married in the UK we'd make it a winter wedding so as not to leave ourselves open to disappointment (I would spend the entire WP process worrying if we booked to get married in the summer in England) ... so I'd probably go with Manchester town hall (love it!) at Christmas; candles, tartan, open fires etc ...

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

We are having a London wedding which is very 'us', but a very cool alternative would be a block-rocking Ibiza do, we would get married in the hills somewhere surrounded by wild flowers, I would have a strappy floaty dress and then we would party all night on the terrace of our hacienda with fairy lights and maybe skinny dipping and possibly some Class A's for the hardcore. ?

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

We looked into getting married in a clearing in the woods, unfortunately, some of our key guests are disabled and so access was a problem, plus the toilet situation was an issue. We have compromised by getting married in a hotel surrounded by woodland instead. We love our venue and knew it was perfect as soon as we saw it! I think, if money was no object, I would have kids there, and more people in general, but everything else would be exactly the same! Smiley laugh x

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh I didn't think of change of dress if I had more money and confidence I would definitely go for a huge Ian Stuart dress

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    spain202 ·
    • Hide content

Good question.

We are getting married in Barbados. I would not change my wedding as we always knew we would get married in Barbados and have a weddingmoon which meant celebrating for 11 days with nothing to worry about, as its all inclusive.

If in an alternate universe I had more money, I would extend our wedding moon for a longer period than we have now, so we would have longer after our wedding day to celebrate our marraige as honeymooners, as we get married on day 6. Also we would fly 1st class...lol. Other than that its all perfect.

• J
    Beginner August 2014
    jennapops ·
    • Hide content

Mine would be a Tipi on the beach, having paid for everyone to come with us and party for a week. I would also change dress and shoes at least 3 times!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh I like the sound of your alternative wedding too!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Being a bride on a budget makes this an easy one!!! If I had an unlimited budget, I'd get married at the Lost Village of Dode because I fell in love with it but can't afford it on our budget. I'd have a brand new dress - something slimline to show off the gorgeous figure I'd have instead of the short and dumpy one I have now. i'd have my gorgeous guy in his Ted Baker suit that he would love and I'd have at least 3 more bridesmaids.

The guest list would probably be much the same, but I'd be having a sit-down meal as well as the evening do. I'd also be 20 years younger but marrying my h2b, not my ex lol

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe in a parallel universe we swap weddings. Wishful thinking on my part as your wedding looked amazing!

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Sarah MC1 ·
    • Hide content

Great question!

I think I'd keep the same wedding but have a mahoosive honeymoon travelling the world for a few months!!!

X

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

If money were no object, I might consider something like Blenheim Palace, or hiring a castle, because I do love historic venues. I'd also then do the 2 dress thing, and get all the guests to do the same thing - a black tie/ white tie/ dressing for dinner sort of idea.

I'd also love to be able to afford different sorts of entertainment, a jazz band for him and a cheesy disco for me, as that's one of the few points so far where we disagree.

And finally I'd probably arrive by hot air balloon, because money is no object and why the heck not?! ?

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Not far from want we had BUT if we had no shame ... it would be a LARP fest! full on costumes!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics