Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*RisqueM*
Beginner August 2015

Whats an acceptable distance between ceremony and reception?

*RisqueM*, 23 of June of 2012 at 19:35 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hey
I've been searching for possible reception venues for a while and nothing in the immediate area seems right. Ideally we only want up to 10-20 mins travel but looks like it might have to be more. We have pretty much decided on the ceremony venue; OHs family church, but struggling to find a suitable venue that's not too far away. We have a lot of traveling guests so accommodation is important but also have some frail local family who wont want to travel far, but perhaps this would be ok if we provided transport for locals, i.e a coach?

So my question is how far is too far between ceremony and reception? and where can I look for more reception ideas locally? maybe somewhere thats not as obvious?

Thanks in advance ladies
XX

8 replies

Latest activity by *RisqueM*, 23 of June of 2012 at 22:18
  • Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I think if it's going to be more than 20 minutes it is nice to provide a coach. However I wouldn't want to spend more than half an hour travelling really, as the day will go so fast anyway, you don't want to spend it all travelling.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

We are having exactly the same problem Smiley sad Although H2Bs uncle owns a company that has 2 red old fashioned London buses which he hires out for weddings and parties and has said we can use them, so we may decide to go the ferrying people around route.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

We've got about a 30 min journey between church and reception venue. We're putting on a bus but as part of it is country rd, will likely take about 40-45 mind. Due to this, our ceremony is slightly earlier than it might otherwise have been.

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

Our reception venue is about 35-40 mins from our church, we are not providing transport and no one has said anything about it either.

• missharwood
    Beginner May 2016
    missharwood ·
    • Hide content

The venue my OH and I are looking at is about 50 minutes away from the church. This seemed really far a first but its a pretty perfect venue!!

My maximum was an hour for people to travel to the reception...but we're going along the lines as people will be there for a good few hours - with some people being there all day and the evening guests being there about 5 hours. So I didn't feel an hour was too far a journey.

We've also got family travelling from around the world so I feel it would be best to offer transport to the reception as they'll be in b and bs.

I honestly think as long as you are providing for them (which you do in a wedding!) and the reception is going to be enjoyable (and enough furniture for everyone to relax) then an hour is acceptable!

I'd rather have a nice venue with a bit of further travelling, than a horrible venue!

xx

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

We chose to exclude anywhere more than 30 mins away.

The reception venue we chose is 20-25 mins from the church and doesn't have accommodation. Most guests are travelling, some from overseas. We have cheaper rates at a hotel about 5 mins from the reception venue, and we're putting on a coach from the hotel to the church and then from the church to the reception. Then it's taxis back to the hotel at night time.

The coach is costing £250 for a 50-seater and about half of our 70 guests are taking it.

TBH, it is a logistical nightmare with about 5+ locations involved (our house, mum's house where we're getting ready, church, reception, hotel) especially getting cars/overnight bags/people to the right places at the right time. But, not impossible!

As for venue search - try local Council websites as they will list all premises with a marriage license.

• *RisqueM*
    Beginner August 2015
    *RisqueM* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your advice Smiley smile

I think you have me convinced that the perfect venue will be worth the distance, I shall double check local coucil venues and restaurants and then start looking a little further afield.
    Then have an earlier ceremony, provide some drinks and nibbles after at the church, and then arrival drinks and finger food on arrival at reception and make sure guests can stay there or close by. I still dont want to go more than 40-50 mins coz as i said a lot will be travelling up to 2hours on the day which is far enough without going much further. And make sure everyone has travel arrangements. that sound ok?
    Thanks ladies xxx

• *RisqueM*
    Beginner August 2015
    *RisqueM* ·
    • Hide content

BTW if anyone can recommend venues in the west mids id be grateful. around Stourbridge/Wolverhampton/Kidderminster I'd be very grateful!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics