Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner January 2023 Co Londonderry

What's the best wedding ring?

William, 5 of March of 2022 at 05:14 Posted on Planning 0 14

I’m preparing a surprise for my beloved, I want to propose to her with a beautiful ring but I don't know much about this, Can anyone give me any advice?

14 replies

Latest activity by Daisy, 11 of March of 2022 at 02:15
  • L
    Dedicated June 2019
    LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 ·
    • Hide content
    Does she wear rings ordinarily? If so take a look at what she wears to get an idea of what she likes. Does she normally wear gold or silver jewellery? You want to know if yellow or white gold would be preferable to her. Have you ever passed a jewellery shop window and she has commented on rings in the window? Think how much you can genuinely afford to spend as the days stating you must spend x number of months salary are long gone. My engagement ring cost around £400 in 2017 and I love it. Though in fairness I have to admit he proposed with one of my rings and then took me shopping to pick my own ring as it was Easter weekend so we were both off work on the Monday and I got exactly what I wanted. I can’t tell you what to buy as every woman has a different idea of what is beautiful but good luck.
  • L
    Dedicated June 2019
    • Hide content
    My husband asked my dad before he proposed to me. Old fashioned maybe but my dad loved being asked even though the idea of any father saying no is alien. It was Easter Sunday 2017 and we were at my parents house and after two bottles of red wine and a quarter of a bottle of port my husband got down on one knee in front of my parents and asked. Just a little Dutch courage even though he already knew what I would say. There is no right or wrong way to propose as each couple is different. I was ecstatic at being proposed to even though I knew It was coming at some point as we’d discussed rings more than once. Trust that whenever you choose she will be equally happy. Women generally love that commitment and despite it being the 2020s not the 1950s most still love being a wife.
  • L
    Dedicated June 2019
    • Hide content
    In spite of my dad’s initial reservations my husband and dad go to the football together every week and are now friends not just father/son in law.
  • xkimx007
    Beginner October 2022 South Yorkshire
    xkimx007 ·
    • Hide content

I can't speak for all women but I can tell you that I would have said yes no matter what he proposed to me with. Don't get me wrong, the ring was gorgeous but it's both of us wanting to spend the rest of our lives together that mattered.

LuxuriousPurpleBridesmaid73066 gave brilliant advice above if you are wanting to keep it a complete surprise. Also, remember the 4 C's: Cut, Colour, Clarity, & Carat.

Good luck (and feel free to share pics of styles you like if you want our thoughts) x

• D
    Beginner April 2023 Greater Manchester
    Dina ·
    • Hide content

Custom rings are the best. If you are browsing for your own wedding rings, you can check some unique wedding rings, such as designer brands, or vintage wedding rings. I heard a brand named Darry Ring, it's only customized for your one & only, and you can only buy a ring for a lifetime at theirs. You could check their rings.

• Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Check out Jessica Flinn if she likes something a bit different. But we are all different. Definitely look at the colour jewellery she usually wears, and if she's ever hinted. Could even ask her friends or family if she's ever discussed with them. I'm sure she'll love it whatever you get. Ah, something else to think about is how it will fit with a wedding ring as some shapes are more difficult to fit together. Good luck.
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

How much have the two of you spoken about marriage? Me and FH used to talk about it all the time like "one day, when we get married..." I think if you're already having these sorts of conversations, or if someone you know is engaged, say something like "do you like so and so's ring?" to get a sense of how fussy she is. Sometimes just the tiniest nudge can get you lots of info - if she says she likes or doesn't like it, ask why so you understand what you're looking for!

I actually gave FH quite a big steer - even though the proposal was a surprise - because I knew I wanted a ruby over a diamond. He was very nervous about picking something, so wound up asking me a fair bit about what sort of thing I'd like - and I'm glad he did because I love my ring! I agree with Kim in that I would have said yes to anything he proposed with, but when I asked him what he would have gone for if he hadn't asked me about it his complete guess (a tough one as I never wear rings!) wouldn't have been my style at all.

I also have a couple of friends who proposed either without a ring or with a 'placeholder ring' (just something cheap) because they wanted their fiancee to be able to choose their own ring. FH did actually ask me how I felt about that and I wouldn't have liked it personally, but the two women actually LOVED it because they WANTED to choose - so maybe try to suss out if that's something your OH might appreciate.

The other option if you haven't talked about marriage at all and don't want to give any hints: ask her mum and her best friend. These are the people she's probably spoken to about this over the years, a lot of girls have these conversations, especially when they're in a serious relationship, imagining their dream ring and dream proposal (or what they really wouldn't want!) with their friends and mum so they're probably a fountain of knowledge!

• Cathyleelesion
    Beginner July 2020 Massachusetts
    Cathyleelesion ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never heard of this brand before, sounds super unique! do they have stores in US?

• T
    Beginner January 2024 Shropshire
    Turner ·
    • Hide content

There's no best wedding ring. There're so many styles and you can choose different materials for wedding rings. I think simple is the best so I recommend gold wedding rings. Classy.

• K
    Beginner February 2025 North Yorkshire
    Kathen ·
    • Hide content

I think the best wedding rings are DR rings. Because they said a man can only buy one ring for his or her lifetime lover. You can't buy another one for another person. I think it's the most romantic wedding ring I have ever heard.

• A
    Beginner October 2024 Singapore
    Alessi ·
    • Hide content

I don't know which wedding ring is best, but just buy what your wife chooses, it definitely the best for her.

• T
    Beginner February 2023 Co Down
    Thomason ·
    • Hide content

I chose and bought our wedding bands by myself, didn't ask for her opinion. But we went to travel to France before our wedding, we saw a unique wedding ring in a vintage store, and she loved it at first sight, but it's too expensive for us. When I decided to propose, I checked a lot of brands to find the wedding bands but didn't find a ring like that one. So I asked my friend to design and customize a wedding ring for me. It's really a unique style, in platinum. And she loved it.

• D
    East Central London
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley heart How sweet and surprised you are! My husband didn't know how to make a surprise. He proposed to me with a ring and a bouquet of flowers on an uneventful day, but he gave me a ring tied to his identity score, which can only be purchased for one person in a lifetime, I really love this commitment proven by action.

• D
    East Central London
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content

No matter what kind of surprise you prepare, she will like it as long as you are sincere. There are some aspects that go into finding the perfect ring: what stone she wants, which metal she likes best, design of the engagement ring, and what budget you plan. As a woman, I like the retro style of Boodles ring, the social significance of Brilliant Earth, and the unique love of Darry Ring. If you want to make a solid commitment that makes her feel safe, you may choose Darry Ring for that a man could only customize once for the one woman. Hope could help you well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics