Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

What's the most thoughtful/inspired gift you've ever received for Xmas?

judeclarke, 28 November, 2011 at 12:18 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I am SSSOOOOOOO BORED today - I need you Hitchers to keep me amused.

So tell me - and inspire me - what is the most thoughtful or inspired gift you've ever opened on Xmas day? (Extend to birthdays etc too if you want) Or what have you given that made someone choke up/cry because they thought it was so wonderful? My top 3:

A few years ago my H sponsored polar bears through the WWF in my name - that made me cry.

I got him (well, us as a family) tickets to a concert and a night at the Brighton Grand. He said it was the most inspired gift ever.

I once bought my dad a pineapple and some little spikey fruits (don't remember what!) for his birthday. It made him cry - not because I had spent loads of money but because I had put so much thought into it and come up with something original rather than socks or a tie. To put it into context - my dad grew up abroad, Singapore and Gibralta mostly, and had a thing for exotic fruit, and he always complained about the selection in this country.

9 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 28 November, 2011 at 20:29
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Ummmm, I'm not sure how wonderful it is but my bestest LOVES Betty Crocker Devils food cake mix. So for Xmas this year I've bought her a cake tin and all the ingredients needed to make it. We had a £10 limit and that's the most thoughtful thing I could come up with, within budget!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Not the most thoughtful thing overall, but a couple of years ago my dad (who never gets me anything for birthdays or Christmas usually) got me a little gift set with a GIANT mug and some fairtrade hot chocolate. I was in the middle of studying human rights stuff and had just helped put together a film festival featuring a documentary on the slave trade within the chocolate industry, so it meant huge amounts to met that he'd tried to keep that in mind for me.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged on Xmas day 2 years ago which was a pretty good gift, though it wasn't a surprise as I had already picked the ring!

My best friend for my birthday this year had two cakes made in the shape of my rats, they were an amazing thoughtful gift.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How could you cut those cakes and eat them?! Inspired indeed.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had to make H cut them as I was convinced it would hurt the real rats in some voodoo doll type way ?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

One of my friends always manages to put together the most thoughtful gifts.

As poor, lowly students we obviously never had any money and one year, on my birthday she came in with a big carrier bag full of all the little things I love. Canned Dr Pepper, Kinder Eggs etc. She was quite apologetic about it all, but I absolutely loved it.

It really took me by surprise as it was the first time, from anyone, that I had got a gift that really showed how much someone knew me. To this day I'm convinced that little goody bag was the perfect present.

Another year, she made a little box and covered the inside with photographs of scenes from our favourite comedy sitcom (Bottom, for anyone who may be wondering) and wrote hilarious quotes all over it, that we would effectively recite to one another on a day to day basis. Again, I loved it because it was a huge reflection of our friendship. I still have that box, as battered as it is.

The little things that cost nothing are always my favourite. Anything that shows how much someone actually knows me is a winner.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

For my 21st birthday, my best friend gave me a frame full of pictures of me and my friends, annotated with cute little messages:

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

The most thoughtful present I ever got wasn't really given to me as such, I found it a bit weird actually....my mum knows a guy from the local radio station whose late dad was an artist. Mums friend has all his dads original and prints in his house, and it was discovered that one of his dads paintings was a scene of the area myself and OH live in down by the harbour. The friend gave mum a copy to give to us for free and mum put it away to get framed etc and to give us for xmas, unfortunately for mum she didn't expect that we would run into her friend one night and he would spill the beans, not realising that it was being kept a surprise. It is lovely and hangs on our living room wall. The weird bit was that she decided to give it to OH for his xmas that year, rather than to me. I don't know why.

One day when we leave this rented place we will always have a reminder of our first home together

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We got a rescue greyhound (sponsored) as a wedding present

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics