Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

What's the weirdest/strangest thing you've ever eaten?

*Pugsley*, 23 of March of 2014 at 18:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 48

OH and I are watching a cooking programme and discussing the weirdest food we've ever eaten.

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten are oysters or frogs legs but I'm not even sure they're classed as weird.

OH has had marrow bone and eats things like snails but nothing too out of the ordinary either.

So wondering what you lot have eaten that some may class as weird and whether you liked it?

48 replies

Latest activity by Red Kite, 27 of March of 2014 at 15:58
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Once in my sleep I squirted after shave gel into my mouth. Does that count...?

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I've eaten snails and ostrich but I don't think either of them are considered particularly strange.

OH has eaten barracuda.

I tend to play it safe when I go out to dinner as I would hate to pay for something then not enjoy it!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I've ate anything strange food wise, even when I was a little girl i'd refuse things like chicken so was always destined to be veggie haha.

I did swallow a penny when I was young though and nearly choked, had to wash it down with juice ?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Um.. tongue - pretty minging but I used to really enjoy it when my nana made it, until I realise it was actually, well, tongue and then it freaked me out

I'm jewish so grew up eating lots of weird sh i z like chopped liver, chopped herrings, etc but don't eat it now.

I'm also very partial to tarmarsalata (sp?) and don't know anyone outside of my parents and siblings who eat it

I think I also tried shark.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I've tried ostrich and kangaroo but nothing really strange. As a kid it was quite normal for us to eat lambs hearts which people might consider strange I suppose lol

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

In china I ate weird black worms that we chose while still wriggling from a bucket and they took them away and cooked them. I think that's the oddest thing.

I still cook tongue on occasion and we all enjoy it but it's actually quite expensive compared to less dense cuts for the amount you get. Lambs hearts: yum! Haven't done those for years but now you've reminded me I'll have to try and get some!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I've eaten Reindeer and Frogs legs. Neither are particuarly adventurous though. I'm not very good at trying stuff if it's really ugly. I can't eat a snail! I will eat shell fish though as long as I don't think about how ugly they are!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Raw jellyfish. I are it in Malaysia and it was as dreadful as it sounds. Seawater and gristle.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Crocodile.

Surprisingly nice, tastes like a meaty white fish.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pink dippy stuff? Love it!!

I have some usual 'unusual'' stuff - swordfish, frogs legs, reindeer. I would try most things at least once.

Although I had popcorn served with my starter the other week at the pub and I thought that was weird (to be fair the starter would have been crap with or without popcorn!)

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Sheeps testicles and goat brain...don't even go there ?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Macdonalds burger. Tried it once, never agin lol .

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, pink dippy stuff. Mmmm with pitta bread. But people freak out because it's fish eggs, or rather cod roe. When I last ordered it in Cyprus I kept being asked if I was sure I wanted it, and did I know what it was

Kjay that looks rank Wtf is it?

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

When I was a teenager I used to come in from school and grab a packet of SuperNoodles....but take the dry block, sprinkle the powder over it then crunch into it like that!

xx

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! My parents used to put it in sandwiches in my packed lunch... I didn't realise it was actual tongue!

For me, the winner so far is MOMB with the black worms... Yuck!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I once had a cold apple and herb soup that was very odd and revolting. I've not knowingly eaten anything else weird, but I probably have without realising. I can be a bit funny about my food and I am put off easily

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I've eaten reindeer carpaccio and puffin. Both in Iceland, both delicious. I'm sure I've also tried kangaroo but I can't remember what it tasted like.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Pickled jellyfish, in a Japanese restaurant in London. Bleurgh. I hate anything with tentacles in general.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I've not really eaten anything weird - I tend to eat basic food and don't like a lot of things.

But when we went to a fish and chip shop in Dartmouth my sister ordered soft shell crab in a bun (thinking flakes of crab). It was hilarious when it turned up and it was a whole crab in a bun, little legs and the pincers folded in front of it. After poking it for a while she did manage to eat it - I wouldn't have been able to touch it!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Clare it was some kind of prawns on bread, was truly rubbish but couldn't really expect much from the pub I was in-maybe 2 steps above a wetherspoons...

I first had taramasalata at our friends place in Spain.

Eta my grandma used to give us tongue sarnies- wouldn't choose it now but I never minded it. (Last time was last year)

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ha it seems grandmothers making tongue is not that unusual. I remember really enjoying it until my brother said that the tiny little bumps on it were "the cow's furry taste buds..."

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Ha!!! That makes me think of when I stopped eating eggs for a while cause someone described them as chicken periods!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm a try anything once kinda guy I eat lots of seafood like oysters and snails so don't really consider that weird but here are some of the less common foods you don't tend to see every day,

Jelly Fish (I actually liked it)

Ostrich

Kangaroo

Crocodile

Elk

Dorian fruit

Lion fish

Cheese fruit

Sea Urchin

Red Bananas

Wild Boar

Chicken feet

Tripe

Century Eggs

I have a habit of buying random crap while on holiday from vendors that don't speak English so half the time I don't know what I am eating

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

???

What a thought!

I've had frogs legs, ostrich and pigeon. Just a bite of each and I wouldn't bother again.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Still slightly hungover and regret reading through this thread, stomachs turning ?

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

If I'd have known what it was I would have tried it years ago, will be adding it to my shopping list?

When growing up we used to have calamari regularly and once at a buffet I ate onion rings by mistake and wasn't impressed.

My best tip for weird foods is don't eat shark skin yuck.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Aside from your not knowing what it was, is there anything more wrong with eating horse than beef or lamb? On the continent it's a fairly normal meat to eat, and as long as the animals are kept in equivalent conditions to other meat animals, what's the difference? Nothing to be disgraced or ashamed of.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just looking at century eggs makes me heave.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just looking at century eggs makes me heave.

• Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

I have eaten a century egg (out of politeness, not out of choice) and it was the most revolting horrific experience of my life.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are as disgusting as they look. Put me off eggs for a while.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

The thing on your list I've never eaten is tripe; ironically the only thing on your list that I can actually buy in our village. I really must pluck up courage and buy some.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics