Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vikster79
Beginner July 2011

When are you having your nails done?

Vikster79, 23 June, 2011 at 09:45 Posted on Planning 0 16

I havnt booked an appointment yet as was just going to have my own nails, but sods law i have broken one yesterday and one has split this morning so im obviously going to have to have falses/gels. I am really not a lover of false nails and cant stand the french manicures that look like paddles at the end of your finger ?
Can anyone advise on the best ones to have please to get this effect?

Cheers peeps ?

16 replies

Latest activity by Naboo, 23 June, 2011 at 18:59
  • MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

I get acrylics but I have them similar to the second pic (though unfortunately they come out more white than that on the tips). I really hate huge square chavvy ones too, but unfortunately my natural nails are rubbish.

I ask for them as short as possible, rounded and a SMALL white tip. If you're really specific about it, it will be ok. I make them cut it until it's the right size and don't be afraid to tell them to go shorter/keep filing. If REALLY necessary bring a photo. I'll probably get mine done the morning before!

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

Check your fbook!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

M - i cant access fb at work i will look later. Have you had Shellac nails? Just looking at those and they look lovely. Whats the difference between Acrylics, Gels and Shellac. Im so confused with as this nail pitter patter ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Vickster!!

ACRYLICS - your own nail is filed down and the surfaced roughened then the acrlic tip is stuck to your nail , they them apply acrylic over this (liquidy stuff) turns hard and voila, longer, harder nails. the result can be the two pics above!! ALWAYS opt for clear tips if you dont want to gaudy white tip look!! acrylics, if done wrongly can ruin your nails underneath, ive had then for 3 yrs and have only now had a break for about 4 mths (mainly to save money!) and my nails are still crappo, 6mths and they should be ok

GELS - these are less harmful and kind of lay over your current nail, no nothing is stuck on. they allow your own nail to grow underneath while giving the effect of a healthy long glossy nail (please someone correct me if im wrong as i dont have gels!!) they dont ruin your nails!

SHELLAC - similar to gels i think but not sure, CB may be able to advise!!

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure about gels - they are supposed to be better for your nails but my nail lady does all three and doesn't recommend gel over acrylic as apparently they don't last as long and can discolour and lose their shape/break off. Some people think gels look more natural but having seen them (my mum used to get them) I can't see that much difference.

Shellac looks great...basically almost like a nail polish 'built' onto your nail. The only problem is they all have to be long and shaped nicely in the first place so they must be even.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I am going to book mine for tea time on the day before the wedding.

I want a simular look to the second pic, but on my real natural nails.

In my experience the nails I've had that look like the first pic have come from cheaper local salons while the second ones from a more upmarket, generally what my MIL calls "classier" place. I'm not get married in the place i'd usually get my nails done, so i'm going to try out a "Flawless" clinic (think it's a franchise?) in a local 4 star hotel this weekend and see what the results are.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

If applied correctly gel is no better or worse than acrylic for your nails, and can be applied with tips in the same way, but people have the perception that they are better for your nail so they are generally more expensive. Both of them require your natural nail bed to be roughed up to enable the substance to grip correclty, but if you go to a decent nail technician this should not do long term damage. You basically need to stay away from anyone that wants to use a drill to rough up your nail bed, this is very bad news !!!

Both acrylic and gel can be applied as an overlay on your own nail to make them stronger, but obviously you would need to have the length on your own nails in the first place as this is not using a tip.

Gelac, Shellac, Gellish, Geleration etc (they are all the same thing just different brands) are a half way house between nail polish and full gel. So they are colours in a bottle, applied like a nail polish, but in between the base coat, colour and top coat, they are cured under a lamp like gel and acrylic. They are painted on natural nails usually (although can be used on extensions as well) so you would need the length on your nails in the first place, but the result is lovely glossy looking nails that are instantly dry and should not chip or anything for at least 2 weeks.

I had Shellac French Manicure for my wedding, I had them done on the Friday morning before the wedding on the Saturday and I loved them ! I actually painted a very subtle silver polish over the edge of the white tip myself which made them shimmer slightly but was not in your face.

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

Any product put on your nails can damage them if they are done badly.

Gels are softer than acrylic, it depends what you want. Acrylics have a bad rep, but thats because there have been a lot of bad techs doing them. Acrylics are not worse for your nails than gel.

Make sure you go to a 'good' salon/Nail Tech/Beauty therapist. Talk to them about what you want them to feel like and look like. Then they can help you decide which is best for you.

Bx

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on having mine done the day before the wedding. Not sure what to go for yet. I've had acrylics and gels done before and neither of them suited me. The acrylics were done the day before a wedding where I was a bridesmaid and by the morning of the wedding one had come off. And the gels came off within a couple of days. The technician told me that sometimes medication (including the pill) can affect how they take to your nails.

Unless anyone has any recommendations as to how I can get my nails strong and long then I may have to invest in some hardening nail polish for a few months before and just go for a nice manicure the day before. I'll obviously not be able to lift a finger for a few days just in case I break a nail ?

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My absolute recommendation for growing your own nails is OPI's Nail Envy. At nearly £20 a bottle it is not cheap but it is AMAZING stuff !! And you might find it cheaper on Ebay.

My nails were ruined by some acrylics I had done about 6 weeks before my wedding. I bought this stuff and started using it at the beginning of May and by my wedding on the 4th June my nails were very, very strong and a really nice length, I actually had to trim the down before I had my shellac as they were a bit too long for my liking !!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had gels done 2 days before the wedding (wanted time to get used to them!!)

I had almost chavvy ones but they were a little shorter and not too square.

They will make them as short as you want them, I would suggest taking a picture if you are worried about describing them!

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had Gels and then just the pink french manicure layer ontop (not the white manicure stuff at the end) and mine looked like this

HTH

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Can highly recommend gels. I have mine done once a fortnight. I just went for my usual appointment the day before our wedding.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I had Shellac like someone else said it is a gel but it is used like a polish so won't lengthen your nails, I had mine done in a french manicure 4 days before the wedding and they were fine but didnt last much longer, although my mum also had them done but just with a colour and hers lasted about 3 weeks not the greatest pic but here are mine

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics