Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

When are you supposed to open wedding presents?

clarabella1972, 16 March, 2012 at 10:54 Posted on Planning 0 9

I've started getting wedding presents sent through the post. Am I supposed to open them now or on the day?

9 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 16 March, 2012 at 19:33
  • KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Save them!!

Just gather them in a room, but make sure you make a note of who is giving you what, eg I got a few bottles of champagne from work contacts without a card attached....you'll need to remember this for when it's time to write your thank you cards.

We opened ours the evening on the day after our wedding, it was the BEST!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

Wait until after the wedding Smiley smile

It's more fun that way as everything is probably addressed to "Mr & Mrs" anyway and you are not that officially yet Smiley smile

We opened ours after the wedding (well in fact after the honeymoon! as we went straight off)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

A good point for opening them now would be so you can get a head-start on the thank you cards! I know people who waited to open theirs and ended up not sending out the thank you cards for over 4 months! Obviously it's not an option with girfts coming from a gift list like John Lewis where everything is sent 8 weeks after the wedding, but with ones like Not on the High Street that send gifts immediately, I think it's worth opening them!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I'd wait - for me, it would carry on the excitment. The day after our wedding will be a mad rush as we fly to Kenya so I reckon we will probably wait until we are back from honeymoon and can spend time looking through what we get and appreciating them. It will also give us something to look forward to after the wedding and honeymoon. Even if we don't get many presents, it will be lovely going through people's cards.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We waited until we got back from honeymoon, although most of it was either cash in envelopes or stuff off our John Lewis list so we already knew what was coming.

I made a head start on the thank you cards before the wedding, because with the JL list I could see who had bought what when they bought them. I didn't finish the cards because I wanted to add a bit about "lovely to see you at the wedding" and it felt dishonest to do so before it had happened!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Save them unless someone's given it to you with a note to say you can open early (just in case it's something for the wedding day itself). But do make sure you add tags of who they are from if they don't already have them!!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what the norm is, but I would personally wait. It gives you something to look forward to after the wedding rush and honeymoon is over. Smiley smile

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I was told that traditionally you open as you get them. This is certainly the case in Scotland anyway. Tradition dictates that you would have a 'show of presents' prior to the wedding so all the grannies and aunties etc can come and see what you got.

The days before wedding lists and vouchers though obv ?

We are opening ours as they come, and sending out thank you cards as we go.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

We opened ours the following day. We dropped off the suits, raced hope, put some tunes on and started opening.

Tip: Get a notepad/spreadsheet to note down who gave what (Aunt Mabel giving some tea-towels, or Uncle Bob giving you a £100 cheque).... This will make your "thank-you's" easier and more personal.

We also asked our tog to provide a single photo that we could get printed (photobox was good) and include in the thank-you cards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics