Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elixia
Beginner March 2014

when did bacon sarnies become so popular?

Elixia, 4 of April of 2013 at 23:00 Posted on Planning 0 48

At eveninng does/receptions that is.

Odd question but I've been wrecking my noodle about it all day! i need closure!

48 replies

Latest activity by Dizzygal, 11 of May of 2013 at 14:50
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I would murder a bacon sarnie any time of day or night!

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

It does have to be said, there is never a time when a bacon sarnie isnt a good idea!!!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

They are amazing. Enough said! But I will elaborate.

I am having bacon sarnies for the evening because I am starting it at 7pm. Due to my ceremony being at 2pm, we will apparently be sitting down for our 3 course meal at around 4.30-5pm. So by the time the bacon baps are being served up I doubt many people will be hungry anyway, so there's not much point spending more money on more food which people won't eat.

Everyone eats bacon sarnies. Except my veggie sister who can sit in the corner with her lettuce.

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

I could eat them for all day everyday!

We are having them, a couple of veggies in the family have asked for chip butties....we are very classy! Smiley winking

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Got to be crispy though!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely agree!

Many a bacon sandwich ruined by flaccid rind! ?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lovely description!

I love a good bacon buttie. I am guessing the next debate is brown sauce or ketchup. I am a brown sauce girl.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, this and a million times this. And they have to be HOT. Bacon goes cold SO quickly!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

Argh- I'm still in bed ( school holidays innit! Hehe) and I am now really craving a bacon sanie except we have no bacon and no bread :-( I do have ketchup and mayo though. Ketchup on the bottom, mayo on the top, bacon in the middle with soft, white buttered bread- the king of the sandwich!

• Sara.Head
    Beginner June 2014
    Sara.Head ·
    • Hide content

Only part of bacon I eat is the fat lol. Can't stand the stuff otherwise but doesn't help I was pretty much force fed it as a child lol.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Hmmmmmm I want one now. with a runny egg on top in a white flour bap ...

I asked my mate who's getting married to his missy this april, he reckons it was the royal family that started this trend! I love it!! who can argue with a bacon sarnie? even veggie have a hard time saying no! Also managed to haggle the venue down on price with these instead of a finger buffet no one will want!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having bacon sandwiches at my reception. Mainly because the poor evening buffet choice and them charging £15.50 per person and we were required to cater for 90% of guests .... i think not!

That and I couldnt think of anything i would rather have as a snack than a bacon sandwich and wedding cake *drooling*

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

Bacon sarnie for breakfast it is - massive craving after reading this Smiley laugh

i have it with butter on both slices of bread, red sauce one side, brown the other Smiley smile mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

I think they became popular because they are a cheaper option that the trsdtional buffets. Having butties usually halves the cost of your evening food.

Most people just want a snack in the evenin g so they are a perfect choice.

Also, they are yummy Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure when they became popular, but we worked on the assumption that in the evening after drinking, people wont wanta standard sarnie, so we had bacon and chip butties and they ran out quickly!

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I am not massively keen on them at weddings ?

I am a massive bacon snob and find the the bacon in them can be cheep and nasty and under cooked.

However, as they often come with chips I am not complaining, because I LOVE chips!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Daffodil says, it has to be crispy....I have a crisping iron which achieves this nicely....undercooked bacon is a no no.....

Peter

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I agree they seem to be all the rage these days! I am going for burgers and hot dogs and then a pork wrap woth crackling and apple sauce. Will have a veggie option too!
    Want to bring it out when people are drunk and wanting to soak up the alcohol

If my OH had his way we would have a donna kebab haha x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Yep- we had bacon sandwiches and cheese on toast served at about 10pm- face people a bit more fuel to last until midnight!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

shhhhh you! that sounds gorgeous!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

This made me snort ?

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    squidgybob ·
    • Hide content

I got married last year and we had bacon/sausage/chip butties at the reception - there was not a single scrap of food left at the end. Definitely a good option! We married at 4.30 and then the ceremony guests had a cold buffet at the reception venue at 6ish. Then at about half 9 we had the second buffet for all of the guests and even people who had had dinner before the evening reception still commented on how much they had eaten! Just watch a white dress/shirt etc with sauces!

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    Jes22 ·
    • Hide content

We've opted for bacon/sausage buttys and chips instead of an evening buffet, i'm not a buffet lover and always finds it goes to waste so would rather pay for something that people will enjoy than have loads of left over food. We're not getting married until 3pm and the meal wont be until 5ish so we're having them served about 10pm to keep people going until 1 when the bar closes lol xx

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

I think they are a good budget option as most venues offer them for much less than a buffet (which are sometimes a bit rubbish to be honest) although I hate bacon so would want a sausage or chip sandwich instead.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are!!! Our reception venue is a stone's throw from the legendary Ken's Kebabs. A Southsea institution!! ?

Mines a mixed- half doner, half chicken- with a gallon of garlic sauce and a bit of lettuce.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

CHEESE ON TOAST?? Now THERE's an idea! I flippin' love cheese on toast!! ❤️

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Garlic sauce - YUM, I would easily have lamb shish I just hate donner (although ask me again on Saturday night when Im drunk haha)

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know, although now cheese on toast has been thrown out there I am thinking of adding that too - mmmm hungry x

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, the pork wraps with crackling and apple sauce sound lovely! We're having bacon sarnies and chunky chips for our evening too - mainly because (to me and my OH) they're more appealing for later in the evening. The fact that they're also cheaper than a buffet was a bonus! ?

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

I had a bacon sanie for lunch- was lush! Just putting that out there :-)

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I had a sausage one for lunch Smiley smile not really a fan of bacon! I so wanted a barbeque for our wedding, with sausages in buns Smiley sad

• Dizzygal
    Beginner December 2013
    Dizzygal ·
    • Hide content

Suffering a case of insomnia & just came across this gals don't laugh but I thought I was the only one having bacon baps!!!So they ARE popular???

I had actually upgraded to a "regular buffet" but then went to a wedding where mines being held they had kinda pork chops on baps gorgeous!!!

We've opted for the same but with bacon & sausage baps to. I've been worrying people will think its odd?????? Let me know what you think, much appreciated......

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics