Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiny-Tiggs
Beginner April 2012

When did you last get ID'd for proof of age?

Tiny-Tiggs, 19 September, 2012 at 20:54

Posted on Off Topic Posts 49

I am delighted, I just got asked for proof of age to buy a bottle of fruity cider in a local supermarket. At the grand old age of 29 ?

I am delighted, I just got asked for proof of age to buy a bottle of fruity cider in a local supermarket. At the grand old age of 29 ?

49 replies

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

A couple of weeks ago - I tried to buy one of those cigarette lighters with a long nose (for candles etc).

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, absolutely. Smiley winking

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I am 33 and get asked probably 90% of the time, generally more when buying in supermarkets than going in to bars or pubs though.

The people who ask are always very shocked when they find out my age but I don't think I look that young !

My sister is 30, married, and has a 5 year old and gets ID'd all the time, and people always think she is the nanny for my nephew as she has such a baby face. When she was getting married (she was 24) whenever she went to any appointments or suppliers they all thought she was a teenage bride, and if I went to wedding fayres with her they always used to talk to me as they didn't believe she was the one getting married !

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

At the weekend in a pub in Chiswick, I was singled out from the other three people I was with, I'm 25 and was not aware I looked 17.

However I did get asked for ID in Morrisons on my lunchbreak not so long ago, I was buying ibuprofen and the woman behind the till asked if I 'was old enough to buy these' I didn't know there was an age limit!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hate this too, we were IDed once when I was with H and we were clearly buying all the ingredients for risotto plus a bottle of white wine... he was paying, he had his ID showing him to be 22 but because I was with him and hadn't brought mine they wouldn't serve us. I know it's their job, I'm not angry with the staff but it's a ridiculous policy. If I was underage and he gave me the wine that's his problem and his criminal offence, not the store's (or should be).

I haven't been IDed in ages as haven't bought anything alcoholic, but I always am IDed when I do.

H got IDed the other day... out for dinner with his pregnant wife on her 24th birthday ?

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I honestly can't remember having ever been asked for ID - and it's not like I never buy alchohol either! So clearly I must look like an old hag!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I was asked for ID on the way home from work...and the child who served me then couldn't work out if I was over 18 or not...clearly being born in 1983 was not enough of a clue for them.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I haven't tried to buy anything with an age limit recently, but anytime I am with OH when he buys stuff they always look at me as they're scanning it, then usually ask me for ID. I did get asked a while ago for ID to buy a scratch card by the lady who runs the shop in the bus station I work at. She sees me day after day in my uniform has got on my bus numerous times and always asks how I am and was in my uniform at the time. When I asked if she was serious she said 'Well I don't know for definite you're over 15'. That would be a very fair point if it wasn't for the fact that you need to be at least 17 to drive a car and you have to do that before you can drive a bus!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

My lotto last week *sigh* (I'm nearly 28!)

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

A couple of weeks ago buying paracetamol was the last time I was asked. I never knew you had to be 16+ to buy it, do you really?

The lady said (in that arrogant power trip way some of them do) "Are you 16?"

To which I replied "No........ i'm 24"

She wasn't impressed.

I don't mind being asked for ID most of the time though. I worked in pubs and clubs throughout college and was constantly reminded that we would be personally fined if we were found to be selling alcohol to anyone underage/drunk, so I don't begrudge people double checking.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this with wine

"are you 18?"

"No im 29"

She however found it quite amusing.

I have thought of another thing that annoys me- when I do the big food shop, I spend about £150 normally on all sorts of house stuff, food, kids clothes, all sorts.

Often there is a bottle of wine in there, the cashier then askes for ID...

have been known to retort- "do you get many power-dressing 16 year olds with their work ID still on spending £150 on vegetables, Mr Muscle, falafel mix and age 7-8 T-Shirts?"

tends to not be well received.

• Peachblossom
    Beginner March 2012
    Peachblossom ·
    • Hide content

I don't get this! I got asked for ID a couple of months ago when I happened to be with my dad when he nipped into the supermarket for a bottle of wine. I'm 29. I regularly used to help my mum with the weekly shop when I was 13-14. Are parents not allowed to take their kids shopping any more?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I'm always asked for ID. I just get it out now beforehand as I know they will ask. I wouldn't even attempt to buy alcohol if I didn't have my ID with me.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Today at Tescos when buying wine, I'm nearly 31!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics