Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

When did you/your kids stop saying 'mummy'?

pandorasbox, 18 of September of 2013 at 16:36 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 34

Or 'daddy'?

Just wondering. I have never really heard any of my school kids (11-16) say it but a mum spoke to me this week and during the course of the conversation said similar to "My son would always say 'Mummy here is my homework'" (for example). I found it so cute!

I think I was still really far too old and was probably still saying mummy and daddy when I was 10/11. In private I think I maybe even said it a bit longer... cringe.

34 replies

Latest activity by Sange!, 23 of September of 2013 at 16:55
  • ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I was about 5. I copied my older Sister saying "Mum" and "Dad".

My boys are 2 and 9. My 9 yr old mostly calls me Mum, I hate it. My 2 yr old copies him, which I REALLY hate. H gets the worst deal though, as J hears C call him Ian, J doesn't call him Daddy anymore, it's "Ian"...

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I still call mine Mummy. Mainly because it winds her up...

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I say Mummy to mine when I want something....

no idea when she became 'Mum' though?

Dont posh people say Mummy and Daddy even into adulthood?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I called my Dad "Daddy" during my mini-wedding speech ? I don't usually but it just came out (and I registered on a subconscious level that it would make him all glowy - I was right!).

But in normal use, I stopped with Mummy and Daddy far younger than senior school 11. I find use of Mummy a bit childish, TBH - I la-la-la when P uses it here Smiley winking Daddy less so, but that's completely hypocritical, I know. I think it's the premise that Mummy invokes Mummy's boy/girl i.e. childish, whereas Daddy invokes Daddy's girl (not usually boy) i.e. indulged.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Can't remember. I think I do still say it in private, but also use Mum. This is terrible, but I think I say "mummy" if I want something off her!! I've never called my dad Daddy, he is known as Papa. He didn't want to be Daddy, he doesn't like the word for some reason.

I remember I went round to H's house once (so he'd have been at least 18) and he called his mum Mummy by accident. I didn't say anything but he stopped himself, went bright red and said "MUM, I meant mum!" and he's never done it again (in front of me at least) ha ha.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My parents were never Mum and Dad but I changed from Mummy and Daddy to Ma and Pa at about 15.

My daughters still call me Mummy at 31 and 29; my son (27) calls me Mater.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

No idea but I do on occasion still whine 'dadddeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy' but not Mummy- possibly similar reasons to Footers explanation.

my dad sometimes refers to my mum as mummy- often when intoxicated.

I use Mum, Ma, Mother, Pops, Dad, Father on a fairly equal basis and only first names when I can't get their attention!

ETA I went through a phase at school whilst doing German of using Mutti and she was still that in my phone until quite recently.

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content

I say it when I want something.

A (12) says it when she wants something.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I think I stopped saying Mummy & Daddy quite young. I used to call Mum "Mam" but when I went up to secondary school it was another thing I got teased about so I changed to calling her Mum instead. When I'm really tired or unwell I revert to calling her Mam.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure I stopped called my Mum "Mummy" by the age of about 8 or so but not sure exactly.
    It's always Mum & Dad now. My son called us Mummy & Daddy when he first started speaking, then when he was about 2 he started just Mum & Dad, now he's 3 and will be 4 in couple of weeks and he calls us Mummy & Daddy again..i think he's picking it up from nursery again, but I've always liked him calling me Mummy best anyway so I love it Smiley laugh

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I can't really remember. I used both Mum and Mummy for a long time probably from ~8-12 (Mum in front of my friends, Mummy at home) before Mummy gradually faded out.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Recently was in the company of someone who used Mummy even though she was in her 20s- seriously, not because she was wanting something or joking

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think if I called mine Mummy and not in a joking way she'd give me a slap haha ? Each to their own of course but I just find it a bit cringy myself Smiley smile

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Very young I think. My brother (20) says mummy when he's done something wrong/wants money etc. ill say it occasionally but more in a jokey way, I'd always say mum. Ill sometimes buy a mummy birthday card cos she's secretly quite a soppy cow!

The only name my dad gets called is wanker around here!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I reckon about 8 or so. The stepkids still use mummy and daddy but I imagine sd may stop when she gets to secondary school.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ha I still use it sometimes.

It makes my daddy want to cry when I call him daddy, but he is a soppy soppy man for his family.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Youngest is 4 and he has recently stopped saying mummy and daddy. Eldest watches far too many American films and tv shows and has started calling me Momma. I do still refer to myself and OH as mummy and daddy to the youngest but it's mum and dad to the 6 and 7 year old. Ex insisted on being Dad rather than Daddy when the older two were around 3 I think.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

My Dad's Mum used to do that.

I can't remember when l stopped. Maybe a few years before the end of primary school?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

All you people saying it is odd and weird and cringey etc, did you read my post??

It's what my girls call me with no irony at all. Bleedin' offensive bunch you all are! ?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

My boys say mommy when they want something and usually by txt ☹️

I used to call my mom 'Muth' (as on mother) , it really annoyed her.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

My daughters of 21 and 23 have always called me Mummy, I don't think that I would answer to anything else. I love it.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Even though I say it (because I'm cute and stuff), I have to admit it would put me off a guy if he said it...

• spaceman spiff
    Beginner May 2013
    spaceman spiff ·
    • Hide content

I'm 31, sister 33 and brother 21. We all still call our parents mummy and daddy and use that if talking to each other about our parents. If referring to a parentwhen taking to people outside family we use mum and dad.i think I switched to mum and dad in those circumstances when I started secondary school. My mum would be so upset if we started calling her mum when taking to her. And we are by no means posh! My mum called her mum mummy until she died. We called her mum nanny as my many didn't like granny as it made her feel old.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember exactly when, but I was in junior school. I would never call my parents mummy or daddy. I sometimes call them Mother or Father, but usually in an ironic way.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I don't have kids but my friend's 4 year old has started saying 'mum'. He thinks he's such a cool dude because he doesn't say mummy anymore!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

My son went through a phase of referring to me as Mum about a year or two ago and I jsut didn't respond! So at five he still calls me mummy. From the posts here if he keeps doing until his teens it will put girls off so will keep him doing it<mwuah ha ha ha ha>

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I called her Mother constantly at the weekend and it annoyed her more... ?

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

I still call my parents - mummy and daddy. I'm 23. ?

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

I sent my Mam a text this morning saying ‘mammy bear’ it’s normally when I want something or that I have missed them, my Dad gets ‘daddy bear’…. Yes I’m odd, bothered ?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha we jokingly refer to FIL as Papa Bear sometimes. He is very bear like!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'll say Mother dear or dearest when I want a favour too, I also call my brothers "brother dear" by text but we do it in a joking way never serious?

If my boy is going to ask for a sweetie or anything i'll get him to go to my mum and say "Granmama" too, again in a joking way.

Can be quite comical.

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

I had a 'Mam' and 'Dad', I didnt' say mammy or daddy from being in first school.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics