Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner

When do we tell the guests about accommodation?!

GeordieDevonBride, 15 of January of 2018 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 5

This is likely to be my first of MANY questions on this forum!

After much searching, we have finally booked our wedding venue. We are originally from Newcastle and have been together over 7 years, but we now live in Devon together (for over 3 years now) so we have decided to get married here in Devon to celebrate where we have essentially both started our life together.

The only problem is that we have most of our family and close friends travelling down from Newcastle (this will be around 22 people = 12 rooms), and they will be most likely staying for 3 nights.

We are willing to contribute towards everyone's accommodation (we are thinking of asking for £50 per night/room for couples so £150 for three nights, and £30 per night/room for singles so £90 for three nights). The rooms themselves are likely to be at a local premier inn and cost £230, so we would basically be contributing around £80-£140 to the cost of each room).

The questions are:

1) Do you think that it is appropriate to ask immediate family for money towards accommodation? My parents would be staying in our house, so it would essentially be OH's parents, uncle/aunty and cousins in the hotel).

2) How do we approach people to ask for contributions (do we let them know on the save the date card, invitation etc?)

3) Do you think it would be better to ask people to book their own accommodation and we re-imburse, or we book all accommodation and ask people for money after?

Sorry for the long post, but thank you for all help in advance! ?

5 replies

Latest activity by HappyBrownDecor18059, 23 of January of 2018 at 15:56
  • S
    Beginner March 2018
    Sandra-Dee ·
    • Hide content

Hi Geordi,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We're in a similar situation as I'm from Germany and all my family and a lot of friends are still there. For me it was always clear that I'll get married in England as this where my life now is. So totally understand your decision on Devon.

I think is't great that you and your h2b contribute towards every ones accommodation and I don't think anything is wrong to ask for money from friends/relatives. A wedding is expensive enough as it is! We for example don't pay anything towards every ones flights/hotel rooms but made it clear we are not offended if someone can't afford to come.

Anyway...I think you could include information about accommodation in your invites - just send them out a bit earlier. I think I have sent mine to overseas guests in October for our wedding in March. This way every one has enough time to book time off work and research own accommodation and transport. Maybe include a tick box on your RSVP "Accommodation needed" and state the price per night and mention that £50.00/£30.00 per night have already been paid by yourself and your groom. Then book the rooms for everyone and ask the Hotel if you could make a down payment for your contribution which will then be deducted from the final bill per guest. Unless you choose a pre-paid rate guests normally pay upon arrival/departure so this shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think that's the easiest option without having to actually ask people for money.

Good luck with all the rest of your planning,

Sandra

• G
    Beginner
    GeordieDevonBride ·
    • Hide content

That's great, thank you for your help Sandra! The point about down payments for the hotel rooms is a fab idea, I never thought of that!

Good luck with your upcoming wedding too ?

• S
    Beginner March 2018
    Sandra-Dee ·
    • Hide content

You are very welcome!

I know what a pain it can be to figure everything out. Especially with guests coming from far away. Although I really enjoyed planning our wedding I'm kinda glad that we have sorted everything now.

Sandra

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely thing to do! I was chief bridesmaid at a wedding which was over 180 miles away from my home and I was expected to stay in the hotel and was given nothing towards my travelling there or accommodation! It's really nice that you are doing this.

• S
    Curious October 2019
    SasenachBride ·
    • Hide content

I honestly would never expect the Bride and Groom to pay towards my accommodation. I've traveled for quite a few weddings. My H2B is from Scotland and we've been to 3 weddings in Scotland in the last few years, we've also traveled to America for my Uncle's wedding and for some of my cousins over there, and we've always paid for our own travel and accommodation.

It's lovely that you want to contribute, I think asking people to reimburse you could leave you open to having to chase people for money and you don't want that added stress.

I would add a note in the invitation about helping with the costs and that way if anyone has already booked accommodation they can let you know and you can reimburse them.

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I've been to 3 or 4 weddings in the last few years where a lot of the guests were coming a long way and having to get hotels, and it was never once suggested that the bride and groom would pay for the hotels, the guests always expected to pay for themselves, so I think your guests would be delighted if you let them know you're contributing some money towards their rooms, it's a lovely gesture.

Some of my guests are going to have to travel too... I'm considering paying for my parents and possibly one of the bridesmaids, since they probably wouldn't be able to afford to come otherwise (the other bridesmaids won't have to travel anyway). But there's no way we'd be able to afford to put everyone up!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics