Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

When do you cut the cake and what time is your first dance

nicnol, 27 January, 2011 at 10:55 Posted on Planning 0 3

General daydreaming about weddings and thinking of questions i need to ask venue etc but these just popped into my head and I was wondering about them!

I was thinking of previous weddings and I'm sure cutting the cake was done after the meal and after the speeches.....is that still the norm or do you wait until evening guests arrive!? My wedding breakfast room and reception room are seperate at our venue so was just assuming I'd cut the cake after dinner.

also my Mum has offered to pay for a swing singer for an hour. So he will sing our first dance.

Evening kicks off around 7ish and plan was to have DJ for half hour with background music.....singer starts at 7.30ish, first dance at 8pm and then anothe half hour of singer before DJ starts up again.......does that sound ok?!

3 replies

Latest activity by nicnol, 27 January, 2011 at 14:07
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Our timings are as follows. 7 evening reception starts, 8 first dance, 9 cut the cake and open buffet

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Well from what I can gather it depends very much on whether you are using your wedding cake as dessert – if so then it needs to be cut before the meal is served in order to give the venue enough time to portion it all up fro after the meal.

And first dance usually ‘kicks off’ the party so it can depend on what time evening guests are arriving if you are having them and also what time you have the TOG booked until!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Timing of things is as MrsShark has pointed out - if cake is dessert, you cut it before you are announced in. If not you can cut it either after the speeches or later on in the evening.

Togs will ask when you intend to cut the cake and will take photos of a mock cake cutting so although they may not capture the actual cutting, they'll and you'll have piccies of the mock one. When we got married we wanted to cut our cake in the evening - we had mock cake cutting so the tog could go before the meal (he certainly did that lol) then cut it before our first dance at 8.00pm. Our evening guests had arrived so got to see it ?. The cake was then served as part of the buffet that night! Still had loads left over though to take home.

HTH Tracey xxx

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies........cake will not be served as a dessert and our TOG is a guest who will be there all day anyway so I guess it's whether we want the evening guests to see the cutting of the cake aswell! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics