Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

IshouldCoco
Beginner September 2012

When Do You Give Flowers/Gifts Out?

IshouldCoco, 11 September, 2012 at 21:24 Posted on Planning 0 23

As title says really? Just gettin flowers for mum's and grandmother (who's giving me away).

Is it done in evening or at or after speeches?

What did/are you doing?

Thanks in advance!

23 replies

Latest activity by Alison, 17 May, 2024 at 10:32
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We did it at the speeches - OH finished his speech then we handed out gifts before the BM's speech.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Most weddings I've been to,the gifts have been given out by the groom at the end of his speech

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We handed our gifts out on the morning. Then OH verbally thanked people during his speech. We knew some of our family who we wanted to thank would be embarassed at getting gifts in front of everyone.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We gave our gifts before the wedding ceremony and just thanked evryone in the speeches. As part of the gifts were cufflinks and jewellery they needed to wear amongst other items it made sense. We also wanted to do it privately instead of the guests having to sit through it all.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is our plan too. Think it's a bit showy to give them out during speeches, and tedious for the guests

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I hate gift giving as part of the speeches. I think it should be done in private so they can properly appreciate them with you rather than a quick thank you and hug then put to one side because they have to get on with something else. I also find it a bit awkward/cringey as a guest. It's nobody else's business what we get people and what they've done to deserve it, but most people seem to do it after the groom's speech.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's just me.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I get bored when presents are handed out in the speeches.?

I gave parents out the night before and bridesmaid and best man in the morning before the wedding.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I think traditionally it was just flowers for the mum's, which was a nice touch, but these days it's got totally out of hand (as most things wedding related has) and it's extravagant presents for practically everyone involved! It's hard to know where to draw the line actually - BMs, best man, ushers, witnesses, people doing readings, cousin who is singing, other cousin doing make up, further cousin who helped with the hen do... where does it end? So I think in private is the best bet to save anyone feeling left out or saying 'ooh why did she get a gift and I didn't when I helped with this, this and this...'! You get the idea!

I nfact one of my friends made a big deal out of giving presents to those who helped her on purpose to make those who didn't help feel bad ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also, say both sets of parents contribute, but one more than the other, do they get a better gift? If not, they might get funny in an I-spent-more-money-than-them-give-me-a-better-present kind of way or if they did, the others might might get narky thinking 'Why do they get a better gift? Do they like them more than us? It's not our fault we're not as rich as them'.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We are giving out bridesmaids presents in the morning because they are all things that they need for the wedding, same with the grooms party and the dads, flower girls are getting a little something in the morning but here main present will be given in the speeches because we have got a present for our page boy also so will give them all out at the same time along with the flowers.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are doing exactly what jojo said. I have been to weddings where the best man/groom has given them during the speechese.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally during the speeches, but I find this a complete snooze fest as a guest, although I suppose just a bunch of flowers each for the mothers would be bearable!

We didn't get gifts for ushers, best man etc, we bought their suits, shoes, tie, shirt, cufflinks which they get to keep. We also paid for a meal for them all the night before.

Bridesmaids got a pre-wedding present of some stuff for the flight, which I naturally gave them before the wedding and gave them their jewellery on the morning.

Parents will be getting a weekend away and we're letting them know in a card when we have a joint meal with them later this month.

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH's cousin did this, though the difference in the bouquets was very obvious. 5 years on, OH's nan still harps on about the injustice of it all (I'm sure they're pointed comments towards me!)

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, exactly. We gave ours in the morning before we left. We had bought our parents oh so cherished journals which were personal and we wanted to have time alone to share these also.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

We got married 10 days ago and still haven't given them! Haven't bought half of them yet!

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    kayzz ·
    • Hide content

Only giving the mums flowers during the speeches everyone else wil get the next day probably

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Would like to add, I was a bridesmaid last year, got my gift during the speeches, put it down somewhere, had a few drinks and have never seen it since!!

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

We will be giving the presents out during the speeches. We are also giving the bridesmaids their jewellery the night before and also the ushers/best man and dads their socks the day before Smiley smile

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're planning on doing this too. Also want to thank people in a more private place as we feel it's something we want to do as a couple. Most of the gifts are things people can wear to the wedding, and others will be getting gifts delivered in the days following the wedding. Each to their own though, so whatever works for you!

• A
    Middlesex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As Mum of the Groom to be - getting the flowers or gift in the morning is a bit of a faff - everyone trying to get ready and for example if in hotel - where am I going to put the flowers - well let's face it in the sink in the hotel. There they will stay until a car journey home, not to be appreciated properly. I much prefer the idea of during the speech for the Mum's then they can be put on the table (eg cake table) and admired- maybe not the rest of the gifts if they are to be used on the day. (no cufflinks for me thank you).

• A
    Middlesex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry don't agree - just appreciative!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics