Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2011

When does MOB take off her hat

MISSMAYFLOWER, 26 of April of 2011 at 10:57 Posted on Planning 0 10

My mum is worried about when to take her hat off at the wedding (yes we have now got to that level of detail!) - I said it should be whenever she is comfortable, probably just before the wedding breakfast. However, she has been told that she should keep it on throughout the meal so is now worrying about not doing the right thing.

Does anyone know when the traditional time to remove hats is? For OM's - when did your mum remove hers?

I wonder how many more random questions like this I'll have as we get closer!!?

10 replies

Latest activity by B Jones, 15 of July of 2022 at 06:06
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Women eat with a hat on, men never do. After dinner is the right time, and the men can remove their jackets then.

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Does it really matter???? Are all the other guests going to look at her in horror if she takes it off a second too earlly??? I'm actually quite shocked that there's even an 'etiquette' for that, eating a meal with a hat on sounds a little ridiculous to me

IMO She should talke it off whenever she feels like it!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Dollyrockerz, I hate all this ridiculous "no-one take a jacket off until the groom's best friend's uncle coughs twice" business (ok, not actually a real example). Everyone should just feel free to do these things whenever they feel comfortable! I have already told Mr Spoon to feel no qualms about turning up for the ceremony in just his shirt and waistcoat (and trousers!) if it turns out to be too warm for jackets. I would much rather people were happy and healthy than stick to obscure etiquette rules.

However, I can understand why your mum is asking, and that she doesn't want to be seen to do the "wrong" thing.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

This is the thing - I don't mind at all - I can't see what difference it makes to our wedding day. But my mum wants to try and keep to traditions and as its important to her I want to try and find out what is the custom. whether she chooses to follow it is up to her then!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Horrified at the complete lack of etiquette here Smiley winking Seriously, hats are supposed to stay on during dinner but really, who cares, wearing hats is so uncommon these days that nobody really feels comfortable in them, do they?

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

Ourageous, I know ? But I have been at a surprisingly large number of weddings where men have been sweating away in their jackets, whilst eating soup, on the hottest day of the year, all because the groom is still wearing his. Madness, I tell you!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Tina this really made me chuckle!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Why TF is your groom's best friend's uncle at your wedding? Smiley smile

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To do the coughing so that everyone knows they can take their jacket off, of course.

• B
    Neath Port Talbot
    B Jones ·
    • Hide content

We are having speeches before the meal ( out of the way) and I shall remove my hat to eat. The wedding is tomorrow and it’s going to be boiling x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics