Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

POD
Beginner November 2003

When is too old for a mini skirt?

POD, 8 of March of 2009 at 16:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

I'm 31 as of last week. Today I'm wearing a denim mini skirt with very thick tights, a polo neck jumper and flat boots.

I just popped around to my PIL and MIL kept commenting on how short my skirt is. Am I entering MDAL terrirtory[:'(]

21 replies

Latest activity by Flump, 11 of March of 2009 at 22:20
  • NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not. I think if you still have good enough legs then you've got years of mini skirt wearig behaviour left. I, however, would never dare wear them with mine!

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

I was wearing similar last week and my nan got a bit pursed lipped aobut it ? (I'm 30)

With tights and flat, casual boots then I think it's fine (obviously), when I'm out I wear a mini skirt with heels but with thick, coloured tights. I'm past the age where I'd consider wearing a short skirt with bare legs, sadly.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

It absolutely depends on what the mini skirt is like (fabric, colour, length, sheerness), what you wear it with, how good your legs are and how you wear it - ie with confidence!!

I have one fairly short caramel corderoy skirt which I wear with thick black tights and flat shoes. It's not so short you can see my bum cheeks! And I usually also wear a good warm woolly jumper and scarf with it.

I'm 40 next month.

• POD
    Beginner November 2003
    POD ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I'm in mutton category then! I will ignore any more comments I get when she comes for dinner

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I'm 32 and wore a mini-ish dress and bare legs out last nigh! I tried this on yesterday but had to admit I am probably too old for it. Your sounds fine. Is she prone to oddness?

• feathers
    Beginner January 2007
    feathers ·
    • Hide content

I would say wear it and enjoy. I agree with CBH, attitude and what you are wearing with it make a huge difference. Ignore them, they are just envious ?

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

I'm 33 and wear mini skirts with thick tights and flat boots (Uggs too). Hopefully I'm not MDAL (although I might be!)

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

If you have to ask ?. Confidence is far more important than age.

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

I think that if the skin on your face looks like that on an elephant's knee, themn you're too old. If you look young and are in good shape then go for it - I think it's physique that's important, not age. There are some 18 year olds that really shouldn't.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

With my legs,I was born too old for mini skirts ?

If your legs are good and your boobs don't droop below the hemline, I bet you look fine! ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd wear that ? But then I wear mini skirts all the time, with platforms/boots or flat shoes. I think wearing them with court shoes looks tarty though.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Only bare legs OR bare arms is my rule. The skirts can be as short as you like, though! I'm 29 on Tuesday and do NOT intend to give up short skirts for a few DECADES ?

• S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

You are definitely not MDAL!!

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content

I'm 38 and would still wear a short skirt if I had the legs. Sadly I've always had shapeless legs and since I hit 30 they've been on the large side too so I haven't got my legs out outside of the beach for years. If you've got the legs then go for it!

• Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't sound like you were dressed inappropriately at all - sounds fine to me! If you've got the legs for it then definitely go for it (think a miniskirt would look bad on me for this reason - short stumpy legs!).

• Pop Up Pundit
    Beginner
    Pop Up Pundit ·
    • Hide content

It sounds fine, definitely not MDAL!

I'm 35 and have a variety of lovely little pelmets in my wardrobe - <brag mode>my 35" legs are far & away my best feature and deserve to be got out ? They'll have to pry my miniskirts out of my wrinkled old claws in the retirement home... That said, it's usually with thick tights, leggings or boots unless its a big night out.

While there are limits, I'm not a big fan of feeling you shouldn't be able to wear something because of your age, specially not in your thirties, which really ain't what it used to be.

• Hubble
    Hubble ·
    • Hide content

I think regardless of the age it's the face that counts! For example, if i see a woman from behind and she has the figure and clothing of a lithe 20somthing, and she turns around and the face is like a shrivelled plum - that's bloody horrible! But i have a friend who is 56 and has a fab figure and a lovely young looking face and she can really wear a short skirt and look great and not mdal at all. Where as another woman i know has the most enviable figure, she's in her 50s, but looks it in the face (in a very well kept sort of way) - she has beautiful clothes, but i hate to see her in a mini skirt - she looks great from the back but i think she looks too old in the face for it. When she's wearing jeans or trousers etc she looks amazing.

• B
    Beginner September 2007
    bostongirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm 35 and still wear miniskirts. I (think) I have the legs for it though, and since I often get asked for ID when buying alcohol, I assume I don't look 35. Didn't wear them when I was 18 though - didn't have the confidence!

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Unless you're wearing them in the style of Kirsty Gallacher (yes, again on Ant and Dec this week she looked awful IMHO) then I think it's fine, esp. with thick tights and boots, sounds lovely actually, wish I had the legs for it.

• K
    KJB ·
    • Hide content

I had this thread in mind today....as I bought a mini skirt. I'm 34.

It's a mini jumper-dress really and I got leggings and long boots to go with it. (I can't find the dress, but it's these boots http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/keyword-is-lyme/product-is-20323962)

It's so not my usual 'look' but it feels comfortable and I think I can get away with it. I'm wearing it out with friends next week so expect me on here sobbing if they laugh at me!

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

Haysoos POD, you are most certainly not MDAL you nobber. ?

(I still wear them sometimes and I'm 37 this year.)

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

Fab boots KJB!

And WHubble says - if the face fits, wear it! I'm 36 and really wouldn't think twice about wearing my denim mini on a night out. Sometimes I layer a short dress over jeans in a fit of self-consciousness, but sometimes I think 'oh feck it' and I've not had any insults thrown at me! Go for it Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics