Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

donnyette
Beginner December 2016

when to give favours?

donnyette, 27 of November of 2013 at 21:29 Posted on Planning 0 12

Please help ladies

We have been offered the chance of a 3 bed house to move into and have decided to bring the wedding forward from dec14 to march!! As we wont be able to afford the mortgage on the new house and save for the wedding at the same time.

We have booked church and venue, however venue is just a social club that does look lovely when done up. We are just having a buffet now or hog roast compared to the lovely wedding breakfast arranged for previous venue.

My question is, shoukd we still be giving favours at our reception? It is no sit down meal and I was planning on only giving favours to those who attend the whole day and worry about evening guests taking favours meant for day guests.

Would it be appropriate to give a small favour to guests as they enter the church? Has anybody done this?

I also now have to plan everything and buy everything within just 4 months!! Budget is not massive so its going to have to be an internet dress job for me. Does anybody know any reputable web companys for a cheap but decent quality dress? Ebay is my friend atm but dont want to use them for a dress.

Thanks ladies, I know I have rambled on but im panicking a lot x x

12 replies

Latest activity by Foo, 2 of December of 2013 at 21:47
  • M
    Beginner July 2014
    missk1989 ·
    • Hide content

To be honest i wouldnt bother. Most favour get left behind anyway.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Don't bother with favours, no-one cares about them. Look at high st dresses - Monsoon, BHS, House of Fraser, Coast. Kitty & Dulcie have a good reputation. Don't paniiiiiiiic!

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

I usually say is your day so do what you want, but I do worry if evening guests find out day guests got favors and they didn't and how they could feel after that. They would have taken time to go in the evening so they should be also appreciated?

So, I agree with the 2 previous replies, to give to some and not to other, better not give any at all Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner December 2013
    charbar16 ·
    • Hide content

Have to agree. We're not doing favours as I genuinely couldn't think of anything that wouldn't be really expensive that people would love and want to keep.

Sweets / booze seem a bit of a waste when you're giving them food and drinks already.

Especially if your budget is really limited I would spend that money on other things that people will really appreciate - a reception drink each if you're not doing a free bar maybe?

x

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

thanks all. Think I will leave the favours now the. One less thing to worry about and saves some money x

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Samantha91 ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of wedding favors so I'm a yes vote! If it was me I would do one for each guest and have them in a kind of basket at the door with a sign saying to please take one each as a token of appreciation for coming to celebrate with us.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I agree with above, dont know where this favor's get left behind (obviously some drunk people forget some by accident) rubbish comes from the only ones ive ever seen left behind is the cheap table bubbles, if you have a thoughtful favor it wont be forgotten by most and will be spotted by all and I personally think its better than a lot of other things people waste money on like sending out a 100 thank you notes to people you dont even remember seeing, I assume people where thanked at the wedding during a toast (as well as being paid for in food, drink, entertainment etc...) why does anyone need a un-personal letter 2 months later (waste of money and paper which lets face it will end up in the bin, I very much doubt there are millions of wedding thank you note scrap books)

if find these sorts of threads interesting 'no one will notice if you dont have them'... of course they will, its the same as the threats that say 'no, one will remember the ugly carpet, they wont even look at the floor' and yet that constantly pops up on the 'things I hate at weddings' type threads so obviously people do notice these things lol

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

What exactly is the point in wedding favours??

I went to 5 weddings this year... None had favours!!! Did I notice at the time? Nope! When I realised was I bothered? Nope. I had a great time I felt grateful for the fact I was chosen to spend to day and celebrate with the couple! That was 'favour' enough for me!

personally I only noticed after event following discussion on here! I didn't realise favours were such big deal!

Of the weddings I've been to that did give favours I took because they were there only to throw away a couple months later 'dust collectors' that I had no use for! My fave by far was a CD of love longs the cd cover doubled as order of service! It's the only favour I remember and actually still have (CD will be used for our own wedding)

my step dad is a caterer and I've also worked at many weddings and you'd be surprised exactly how much favour get chucked when clearing up the tables, this includes edible favours and the souvenir stuff! We tend to pack then away and return them to couple and often you'll see people leaving with a handful of favours they've grabbed from other tables lol so obviously some people do care!

if guest are bothered by the fact no favours are given then it says more about them than you for not providing them and they can go get stuffed!

weddings are expensive enough as it is without having to feel obliged to provide gifts for guest. In my book the invite and the fact myself and Mr want to share our special and very personal day with our guest should be enough (did I mention that doesn't come cheap? Lol)

Having said all that I will be providing favours simply because they brighten up the table settings. If I weren't having a sit down meal it wouldn't bother!

If you can afford favour then have them if not don't bother... But don't feel pressured to keep up appearances just because others say it's the done thing! When it's comes to weddings it's each to there own! Whats important to one person another wouldn't give a toss about!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I think when you are planning a wedding you can get a bit bogged down in the detail, but really all that your average wedding guest is interested in is being fed and watered, catching up with friends and family and celebrating your marriage with you. The rest is just frippery.

Personally I would never in a million years not send a thank you note for a gift I've been given, to me that is basic manners. But each to their own.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

'wedding guest are only interested in celebrating your marriage with you.' seems to pop up a lot

I dont want to sound rude either but im very surprised how many people think the world revolves around there wedding, most of the time its a hassle for people its very often an obligation to go rather than a want to go... if I had £1 for every person Ive heard moan that they had to go to a wedding I would be very, very rich

I actually love weddings because im nosy and like to see other peoples taste and style, but most people (more so men but plenty of women too) seem to see it as a burden rather than a wonderful gift... the truth is your wedding doesn't matter much to anyone other than yourselves and very close family/friends - your work mate, old friends and even a lot of family will really not give a *** in reality of weather you get married or not but they will expect stuff as standard due to going (food, drink, entertainment and favor fall in to that, it adds that little touch that says you put in effort so did we)

weddings are an attention seeking show - most the invites sent at weddings are because of who YOU want there to show off too rather than who wants to come (otherwise you would just have a small wedding and a meal with immediate friends and family and make no fuss)

invites are then tied up neatly in convention (no one is going to RSVP with 'no, I actually couldn't give to shits about your mundane life and dont fancy taking my free time away and spending money on something I dont actually care about' are they?)

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure I understand the point of favours any more now....

if people don't really want to be there how does a piece of tat make up for that?

to be honest I've never heard people complaining about going to a wedding... (Unless it my OH and he's being dragged to a wedding of someone he don't know).

i stand by what I said... Providing your guest with a good time should be enough with out useless tat that now seems to be an offering of apology for boring them with celebrations.

• C
    Beginner December 2013
    charbar16 ·
    • Hide content

What she said! With apologies at ALuvBug whose thread has been hijacked with the favours/anti favours brigade! x

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's definitely something wrong with you. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics