Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner July 2013

When to have readings in a civil ceremony

cm_ljw, 28 May, 2013 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 9

We have our registrar appointment soon and we need to state when the readings will be. There will be 2, ideally I 'd like them spaced out but have no idea other than that.

Please help!

9 replies

Latest activity by cm_ljw, 28 May, 2013 at 14:22
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I posted an outline of our ceremony the other day:

Registrar: Welcome etc, legal stuff about the venue, name confirmation
    Us in turn: (confirm names)
    Registrar: intro to legal declaration
    Us in turn: I do solemnly swear that I know not of any legal impediment....etc
    Registrar: stuff about love, intro to promises
    Us in turn: Today I pledge to spend the rest of my life with you, I will be faithful and honest, I will share with you my hopes and dreams, I will always be there when you need me most, and will respect and support you as we go through life together.
    Registrar: intro to consent, will you Footlong/Boy, take Boy/Footlong, to be your lawful wedded...etc
    Us in turn: (confirm) I will.
    My uncle: reading
    Registrar: stuff about the importance of marriage
    Bridesmaid: reading
    Registrar: stuff about our future life together, intro into vows
    Us in turn: I call upon these persons here present to witness that I Footlong/Boy, do take thee, Boy/Footlong, to be my lawful wedded husband/wife. I will love and care for you, honour and cherish you, whatever the future may bring.
    Registrar: stuff about rings, exchange of rings
    Us in turn: All that I have I give to you*, all that I am I share with you, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love for all the years to come, please wear it as a sign of my love and notice to the world that you have chosen me to be your husband/wife.
    Registrar: You are now husband and wife, kiss etc
    Sign register
    Registar: See you later

*Boy inserted "except the telly" here.

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!

I have tried to read the original post put got somewhat confused so hope you don't mind me asking again but..

Are those words the standard you were given or did you devise them? Our registrar seems to offer the 'in and out' approach so I'm hoping to add just a few words of our own (or borrowed from others ) ?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

In our civil ceremony pack Westminster Council had suggested places for readings in the ceremony, which were really helpful. Have you received that yet?

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

We never had a pack, the information has been quite minimal except for telling you the legal stuff like what documents to take on your first meeting etc. They also only do the bare minimum vows...I get the impression my council is just a little bit lazy!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They were given as a standard part of the ceremony in our district i.e. when we received the ceremony wording, they were there! There was a note at the bottom of the entire document that said we could change/add/delete if we wished, and to contact the registrar if we wished to make any changes.

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

It's official then, my council just can't be bothered! We get the the basic "I do declare blah blah" and then we get to add words to the ring exchange if we want. We don't get the option of adding any wording before that, but I shall certainly be trying to at our meeting on Thursday.

It's Leicestershire county council by the way!

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Cm_ljw I got the same as you. Plus need to send them the 2 readings but I have no clue where in our ceremony they will put them (or how the readers will know when to go up!) x

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

We don't get a meeting before our wedding. We just had to give notice and got given our pack.
    We completed that and sent it back and that's it.

We are under Winchester

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They should be invited up by the registrar/celebrant.

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

How strange that it can vary so much from county to county. I assumed when starting all this there was just a standard service. Feeling slightly cheated by what I'm offered!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics