Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2012

When to pay registrar ?

LittleMissB, 2 of April of 2011 at 19:18 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi, we cant book our registars till april (year before wedding) Im just wondering if anyone knows, do we have to pay in full on the day we book them ? Looking at 375 for 2 registrars for the day and kind of hoping we dont have to pay that all in one.

Anyone know how it works ??

19 replies

Latest activity by Yorkshirelass, 20 of April of 2022 at 21:01
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

When we booked ours, we had to pay the fees for giving notice (£30-ish each) and a £150 deposit towards the fees for them coming out to perform the ceremony on the day. We have to pay the remaining £260 a fortnight before the wedding, but will actually do so when we go for our meeting about vows etc on May 3rd.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Normally you pay a deposit, ours was £50, then £37.50 each when you give notice, then the rest about 6 weeks before the wedding.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We had to pay £50 deposit just to book them and then they want the £300 a week before.

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Seems to be very much dependant on where in the country you are then. we had to pay £50 deposit to book. £37.50 each when we gave notice. And we've got to pay the remaining balance 12 weeks before the wedding.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LittleMissB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all hopefully its the same at ours and they just want a deposit first. I cant wait to book them just hope the date is available as they wouldnt even provisionally hold it, so dead on a year before ill be making that appointment. ?

• mummytofour
    Beginner June 2011
    mummytofour ·
    • Hide content

We had to pay £100 deposit & then £37.50 each on fee's & the rest is due 7 weeks before so the 30th april eeekkk!! lol!

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LittleMissB ·
    • Hide content

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

We booked and paid nothing until we went to give notice which was £35 each I think. Then the appointment we will have to discuss vows and music and extra readings will be when we pay the total amount which is £390 for us. Hope this helps.

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think we're the same as NikiST. We'll be paying the outstanding amount when we discuss the vows.

• mummytofour
    Beginner June 2011
    mummytofour ·
    • Hide content

You have to book an appt to give notice & pay the £35.00+ there & then with all required documents/I.D.when we first booked the date we had to go in there with £100 to secure the date we have to pay £283 for the registrar & £350 for the room!! rip off! lol!

x

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Before you book an appointment, you do have to book the registrar first. They will reserve the date for you and all you need to do is book an appointment at some point to give notice. We booked the registrar without needing to pay anything about a year before the wedding date having had the venue provisionally booked for about 3 months before this. We only had our appointment to give notice about 3 weeks ago.. so you don't have to do it straight away. Your names will go up on the board in your local registry office for 15 days and then on or after the 16th day you can pick up your authority papers if you have a different registry office marrying you or your regisrars will be coming from a different office to your local one. If its the same then they keep the papers. You then need to book an appointment a bit closer to the date of the wedding to discuss music, vows, readings, anything extra... by this point you would need to pay them the outstanding monies which will be highlighted in your wedding pack that you should receive after giving notice. And it's as simple as that really. We have just given notice and picked up the authority papers and taken them down to Bridgwater registry office. They have our papers now and we will book an appointment with them in the coming weeks to finalise everything with them and pay them the balance.

• L
    Beginner March 2012
    Leabee28 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we were the same on the 1yr thing!! its silly it was constatly engaged till 09:20 when i finally got thru and 3 people had already booked thankfully she put an extra registrar on for us at 2PM Smiley smile

we didnt pay anything just our notice of marriage fees which we had to do within 28 days of reserving the date and time and that was 67 pound xx

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    ruby_tuesday ·
    • Hide content

I was able to provisionally book my slot for May 2012 in October last year. Had to pay £30 fee but this amount gets taken off the registrar's fees. Will be booking appointment to give noticed after 12th May this year. I got told we had to pay the registrar on the day! I hope not as I already have to pay my String Quartet on the day!!!

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

So from the sounds of it.. its very similar in the way it works but it hugely depends on the district.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

We had to pay £25 to secure the date

Then have to pay another £33.50 per person in July this year when we give notice and as yet I have no idea when the rest is due.

I imagine it will be a couple of months before the wedding.

• J
    Beginner March 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    JACQUELINE ·
    • Hide content
    Can I ask have you paid deposit on your venue as I was miss lead by a lady who did weddings but was not legally allowed to marry us ,I only found out this on Saturday so hopefully registered can do our date x
    We have paid our deposit for venue so I'm really worried x
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This thread is really old (last reply was 2011) so not sure any of the info is relevant anymore.....

I can say that we are getting married in July 2022 and had to pay the whole amount for the registrars back in Feb this year. It was over £600 as well. They will allow you to move it but it is not refundable and we were able to book over a year in advance. I just went on the local council website to find the info for the marriages section and then emailed them, I also had a phone call and paid over the phone in the end. Good luck

• N
    Beginner October 2023 Surrey
    Nikita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there I'm a little stuck I live in Hampshire and want to book the registrar and date for the wedding etc I had a phone call and she wanted me to pay the full amount there and then over the phone which is costing us £410, does this seem legitimate to you? Thanks Smiley smile
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I paid over the phone the full amount and it was over £600. It was legitimate as it was with the council marriage registration site as I booked by email and then they called to take the money. I think this is how councils do it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics