Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2021 Hampshire

When to send invites out for a bank holiday wedding

Sally, 22 of July of 2020 at 09:52 Posted on Planning 0 9

We are getting married on Sunday 30th May 2021. It's a bank holiday weekend so our guests have the Monday off and it's the start of half term. My finace is a teacher and lots of our friends are.

It's in Christchurch in Dorset, which is gorgeous coastal town in Hampshire and is very popular all year. It gets very, very busy at bank hols/school holidays.

With that in mind I'm wondering when to send the invites out. Save the Dates we sent out back in Feb. I was thinking maybe sending the invites 6 months before but that will be December. And accommodation may already be booked up as it's the start of half term. I could send them out next month (August) as they are ready but that might be too early then they forget to RSVP?
Any thoughts?

9 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 26 of January of 2022 at 07:49
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sally

Sounds like you are super organised, a woman after my own heart!

If you have already sent out the Save the Dates, how does sending out texts or emails just jogging people's memories, with a line or two to say expect the formal invitation in due course?

I get that you don't want to send your Wedding invitations out where they could get lost in the Christmas post, and there's the compounded problem of accommodation availability, so maybe a gentle reminder would help?

Alternatively, send out your invites in August as planned, but include a note regarding the accommodation problem-ette (my word for a small difficulty!) and asking people to RSVP as and when they can.

A good tip I came across was to discretely number each invitation and cross reference with your guest list so that you can keep track of who has replied, or replied and not indicated from whom.

I am sure others on here will have even more helpful suggestions, they are a great bunch!

Love, Ali in Liverpool xx

• S
    Sally ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya, yes need to organised! I run my own business so dont have time for "last minute". I have "nuged" a couple fo close friends regarding accomadation and they have booked.

I love your word "problem-ette"! I may borrow that. Think I'll do that send out in August with a section about accomdatin gets booked up quick. Then I've told them and they can't moan if they leave it till the last minute!

Thanks x

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sally

Glad to have been of service!

Best of luck with your forward planning, and of course, your special day!

Ali xx

• F
    Beginner September 2020 Fife & Angus
    Felicity ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sally

I'm from Dorset, currently living in Scotland, but I know that Christchurch gets ridiculously busy on a normal bank holiday weekend and given that more people are likely to stay in the UK for the next few years, I'd definitely suggest getting them out sooner rather than later.

Out of interest, which venue are you doing the deed at? There's some stunning ones down there xx

• S
    Sally ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Felicity, oh I just love Christchurch! How fab your’e from beautiful Dorset. We are in Southampton and want to move that way eventually. I was chatting to a friend last night & he said the same thing. Given the current situ it’s also something to look forward too so send them out as soon as. We getting married in the Bowling Pavilion opposite The Kings Arms Hotel (see pic). They own it & the bowling green. We didn’t want anything traditional & it’s beautiful! The castle ruins & the river next too it. Once the deed is done is over to the hotel for afternoon tea then back to the Pavilion for the evening party with a big bbq. Can’t wait, wish we could do it next weekend! x
    When to send invites out for a bank holiday wedding 1

• B
    East London
    Bailie ·
    • Hide content

From my experience, I can say, send invitations as early as possible. This way, your guests will have more time to decide on housing and make plans. A wedding is not an event that you can forget about. My cousin informed me three weeks before the ceremony that she was having a wedding. I had to change all my plans, spend a lot of money on a dress, housing, and a gift. I decided that if I were going to an unknown city, I would read more about it; check this out . The wedding went well, but I wasn't the only one unhappy that the invitations came so late. In any case, I am happy for you!

• John
    Beginner January 2022 Michigan
    John ·
    • Hide content

It's unexpected that only you were unhappy that the invitations were sent so late.

• Milissa
    Beginner January 2022 Monmouthshire
    Milissa ·
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with Bailie. I am a very organized person; I prefer to make plans in advance.
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    We’re in a similar situation with our wedding location. I created a wedding website on here which I directed guests to as I’ve been sending save the dates (it basically just says, don’t wait for the formal invite to book accommodation because it books up fast and you’re definitely invited!). I’m planning on sending formal invites next January for a July wedding, gives plenty of notice to guests and also me if someone can’t come and there’s spots to fill so a second round of invites needs to go out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics