Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2017

When to send out Invitations...?

Sapphirebride, 5 of May of 2016 at 11:40 Posted on Planning 0 12

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as of when to send out the wedding invites to our day and evening guests.

I get married on 17th March 2017 and our venue want the final numbers 6 weeks before, so 3rd Feb....

I am concerned of the festive period with invites arriving late with slow post and people forgetting to respond is RSVP after christmas. I was also wanting to leave myself a few weeks to ask other people to attend if the numbers are available.

I was thinking Mid November with replies Mid december.. but my partner says the traditional 8-10 weeks which clashes with Christmas etc...! We've not sent out save the date cards as it's something we felt wasnt necessary for us.....

12 replies

Latest activity by DevonBelle, 13 of May of 2016 at 03:13
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think that you have to follow tradition with invitations. We will be sending ours out early as we have a few people who may not come and people that we would like to move from the evening to the day. We get married 01/07/17. I am thinking of sending ours out beginning of March with an RSVP date of mid April x

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We sent ours out 4-5 months before so don't think you have to follow the time rule any more. Also the earlier people have the better deals they can get on accommodation and travel if you have people coming from afar.

Can you send them out beginning of October? This allows plenty of chasing time and also if you have reserves plenty of time to get invites to them too.

• A
    Beginner November 2016
    Annaangeluk2016 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We're sending ours out about 6 months before the wedding as all our families and a lot of our friends have to travel! We sent save the dates about 2 weeks after we got engaged as we booked the date the week after getting engaged! Family stated booking hotels straight away and said then that places were getting booked up so we don't want to wait too long and risk people not being able to book hotels!

Ignore what's traditional and do what's right for you and your guests!

Anna x

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married August 2016 and have just sent my invites out at the end of April- our RSVP date is 1st July as we have a meeting with our venue on the 5th to let them know of final numbers.

I think in your situation, I would send my invites beginning of December, then put your RSVP date for mid January- gives you a little bit of time to invite other people if you have space.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married end of April 2017 and looking at sending our invites Mid November for the same reason as you!

Our RSVP will be end of January though. We don't need replies until end of Feb at the latest so this gives us time to chase people Smiley smile

Send them when it feels right to you Smiley smile

xx

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

We got married last month (21st April).

Day invitations went out with the Christmas cards early December.

Evening invitations early January (just in case some immediate no's came back and we could bump a few evening people up to day).

Deadline for all invitations was end of February.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'traditional' time frames - just send when you want!

• G
    Beginner March 2016
    gemmaandchris ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we got married 19th March this year, and sent out our invitations early november with a RSVP of beginning of december - we wanted ours in before christmas and before people got distracted

• S
    Beginner March 2017
    Sapphirebride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for their replies. I think we will go for mid november.

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married 29th April 2017. We have delivered our save the dates today (was meant to be 29th April so a year before but got distracted!). We are planning on sending our day invitations out October time, and going to say RSVPs for Valentine's day as its a date people might remember. Evening invitations we were thinking possibly mid November with a similar RSVP date.

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

We get married 28th of this month and sent them out over Christmas and put an RSVP of end of February. The evening invites went out End of January.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about doing a wedding website? We sent out invitations and requested RSVPs to be sent via the website. It would eliminate the possibility of any getting lost in the Christmas post.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

Finally sent our invites yesterday (wedding 4 August) I'd have sent them much earlier if I could have they just took so long to get printed and sorted!

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    DevonBelle ·
    • Hide content

Hi there!

All the American wedding planning blogs seem to suggest 2 months before, which I think is way too late. Most English Weddings tend to be 4-5 months average, but there really is no rule on this at all.

If it was me getting married in March, I would post them in October with an RSVP deadline well before Christmas. That way you could chase late responders either before Christmas or early in the New Year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics