Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lisab
Curious October 2022 Hampshire

When to send out invites..?

Lisab, 13 of March of 2021 at 22:26 Posted on Planning 0 31
Hi all,

We’re not getting married until 1st Oct 2022 and it’s a local wedding. Is it worth sending save the dates these days and if so how far in advance are people sending them out? Equally when should we send the actual invites out? I’m getting conflicting info online. Be great to know what people’s thoughts are and what you’re doing Smiley smile Thanks in advance!

31 replies

Latest activity by Bliss, 9 of April of 2022 at 22:54
  • Hannah
    Dedicated April 2022 Shropshire
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! I’m getting married in April 2022 and we sent our save the dates around December time. We wouldn’t have usually done this, but with Covid and so many plans changing, we wanted to mark people’s card early on!

Keen to hear what people say about invites though. I’m thinking of sending them summer time but not sure if it’s too early? However lots of people will be travelling so I want to allow enough time to book accommodation!
  • Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wanted to send my save the dates now because of that very reason, but thinking maybe to wait a couple of months then. Yes invites is a funny one, I thought maybe 9 months before so people who aren’t local have time to get a hotel etc sorted but not sure if this is still too early...
  • Jacky
    Savvy June 2022 West Yorkshire
    Jacky ·
    • Hide content
    We're getting married in June 2022 and are just in the process of sending out our save the dates. In normal times I would have waited a bit longer but am worried a lot of people will be looking at booking holidays next year and our wedding falls on a double Bank Holiday.

In terms of the main invitations we're thinking maybe 3-4 months before.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in July 2022 and I am organising Save the Dates now, we have had them printed and I intend to send them out in next few weeks. I have already had a Save the Date card for an August 2022 wedding (so after ours) and this arrived in Dec 2020! So everyone is doing things earlier at the moment. There is no right and wrong answer. We will probably send the actual invites out beginning of 2022.

• Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s helpful, thank you. It sounds like because of Covid postponements/making future plans that people are sending out save the dates a little earlier than maybe they normally would, so I think I will send them out in a couple of months time just to be sure.
  • C
    Curious June 2022 West Midlands
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We are getting married June 2022 and we started sending save the dates this week as know friends have stated booking summer holidays for next yr. We are thinking of sending out our invites towards the end of Jan 2022, for people traveling to sort out accommodation and hopefully after Christmas will give something for people to look forward too Xx
  • T
    Curious November 2022 Northamptonshire
    Tesni ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya! We're getting married in November 2022 and we're in the process of gathering together addresses for the save the dates and sending a few out slowly just to get the ball rolling really! Never thought it'd take so long to get everyone's addresses haha! We've done it earlier than usual as our families are spread out up and down the UK so gives them a bit of notice Smiley smile
  • Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes sense. It’s nice to get it out there and make it kind of official! ☺️ I’m looking forward to that. Thinking of doing online save the dates but still undecided. Going to send them out within the next few weeks I think. Exciting!
  • D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

Hi, darling. If you send out save the dates, then you don’t need to send out your invitations with all the details until you’re ready. Mind you, I wouldn’t send them out any later than 3 months prior since that gives you very little time to work on the seating chart (trust me, I should know lol).

• Charlotte
    Beginner April 2022 Powys
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting married April 2022, sent out our save the dates last month and people have started booking accommodation as soon as they received them. I don't think most people would wait until getting the formal invite to book accommodation as nowadays a save the date is pretty much an invite guaranteed

• Aiyesha
    Beginner March 2022 Hampshire
    Aiyesha ·
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is March 2022 and glad I read this as felt sending my save the dates was too early but actually going to send them in next 2 weeks then send actual invites in December/January❤️
  • Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’ve done well if you’ve had them sat there and not sent them. I’m not sure I would have been able to hold back! Ha! How long have you had your venue booked for?
  • J
    Curious August 2022 Kent
    Jo Fran ·
    • Hide content

We have a July 2022 wedding planned and I am sending save the dates in 2 weeks. People are already getting summer hols/festivals booked for next year so got to get my skates on! I'll send invitations out 6 months before xx

• Stacey203
    Beginner June 2022 West Yorkshire
    Stacey203 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Jacky - between the 1st and the 4th?
    Our wedding date is 1st June so we have the full 4 day weekend before going back to work (I'm a teacher so can't have any longer off).

We have just about finalised our venue plan (we have two to choose from) so I'm conflicted to just do away with save the dates and go straight to the invites. ?
  • Stacey203
    Stacey203 ·
    • Hide content
    Also - do you send save the dates to day time (full day) guests only. I'm clueless ?
  • Jacky
    Jacky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm on the 4th. Booked before the bank holiday was announced but will be good to have a few days off leading into it!

We need to wait to send full invites as we're going to have a menu choice but won't do a tasting until nearer the time. I also think that a year is a long time - you might meet new people / like old people less so I want to hold off until a bit closer to the time.

We sent out save the dates just to day guests. Anyone we weren't 100% sure about (as we are limited on space) we didn't send to. Will then send the main invites out in two batches so we can upgrade people if others can't make it without making them feel like they were second tier Smiley xd

• Paige
    Curious August 2023 Berkshire
    Paige ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in August 2023 and am planning on sending the save the dates out this August. This is partly a personal choice to give our family plenty of notice for the day and a practical one as some of my family work for the police force/ NHS and can require up to a years notice to get their holiday approved - this may be something to consider for your guests?

• Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think most people only send them out to people invited to the day. That’s what I’m doing, and then will send separate day and eve invites out closer to the time ☺️
  • Stacey203
    Stacey203 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All of what you all have said makes perfect sense now.
    We too have a menu choice so that's a thought about sending the menu out with the main invites. And I love the part about adding the extra people if others cant make it ?

I best start planning my save the dates. Did you guys make them, buy them already made or a mix when you created then printed them?
  • Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had no idea these professions needed so much notice for holiday. We do have a day guest who works for the NHS as well. Good to know, thank you.
  • Jacky
    Jacky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I thought it would be easier to do it all together, then people only have to reply once.

We ordered ours from etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/NIVIDESIGN1?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=922216106. The seller was really helpful and let us mix and match between the cards and magnets. I was really happy with how they turned out Smiley smile

When to send out invites..? 1

• Chloe
    Beginner October 2022 Gloucestershire
    Chloe ·
    • Hide content
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Our wedding is October next year also. Just worried about people booking hotels ??
  • Stacey203
    Stacey203 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow. They are really pretty. I love the magnet idea. Xx
  • H
    Beginner June 2017 New Jersey
    Howardellis ·
    • Hide content

The best day is the wedding day

• A
    Curious April 2021 Illinois
    AmberP ·
    • Hide content

We sent out the invitation three months in advance to make sure everything would be okay and people would be able to come. It also depends on how busy your guests are. Some people have to be notified six months in advance. Share your plans with them, I'm sure it will be good.

• C
    Beginner August 2022 Kent
    Chanelle ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone use this sight for invites, i want to keep to invites via whats app and email.

• S
    Beginner October 2022 Mid Glamorgan
    Sam ·
    • Hide content

We are wedding twins Smiley smile xxx

• Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah 🥰 where are you getting married? Xx
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hi
    I'm getting married this October as well. I was also wondering when the invitations should go be sent. Our families all know the date already a I have them all booked into the hotel as well. I've told close friends they can book the hotel whenever they are ready. I was thinking of sending the invites maybe six - eight weeks before the wedding. Hopefully this is enough time. What do you ladies think?
  • Lisab
    Lisab ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I have just sent mine out for a Oct 1st wedding, only because I was getting so many questions and we have most of the details on our wedding website so they directed people to that, also because we didn’t send save the dates out in the end ☺️. I think if everyone already knows the date and have booked hotels etc your 6-8 weeks before should be fine.
  • Bliss
    Savvy October 2022 West Sussex
    Bliss ·
    • Hide content
    We are getting married 8/10 and sending ours out 3 months prior

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics