Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lea
Rockstar July 2023 Kent

When to wash your hair for wedding?

Lea, 25 of May of 2023 at 23:01 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 8

Hi all,

Not sure whether to wash my hair on the day of the wedding or the day before? Keep reading that you should wash the day before so it is easier for the hairdresser to work with.

I'm having my hair down and will be having Hollywood waves done. I have long straight thick black hair. It used to be voluminous when I was younger but less so now as I get older.

My hair usually looks less glossy and very messy after the day I have washed it and slept on it. My hair looks best straight after I have washed and dried it. I used to straighten it up until about 6 months ago as I wanted to let my hair have a breather from too much heat.

When will you be washing your hair and what do you recommend I do?

8 replies

Latest activity by Lea, 29 of May of 2023 at 09:26
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    My hair stylist had this discussion with me during my hair trial. We were going to do night before, but during my hair trial, because of all my frizz, my hair will need oil put in after showering (something I do often in the summer but I’d kept to her instructions of dry, clean hair for the hair trial) and that’s better morning of. So now I’m washing it morning of.
    Could you ask your hair stylist, if you’re having one? If you’re doing your own, maybe give both a try in the run up, and see which one has a better result.
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Lisa, if you are having a stylist then ask for their recommendation. Don't feel like you have to stick to it though, if they want day old hair but you don't like how your hair looks then wash it the morning of.

The stylist I had my 1st trial with said the older the hair the better but I wouldn't have felt comfortable getting married with hair that was over a day old. So I booked a hair cut with my usual hairdresser the day before so she would do the final wash before. I then had to change stylist and my 2nd one said she prefers clean hair that's been washed that day so shows the variance between stylists.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree to ask your stylist for advice - so much depends on the stylist's preference, the style you are having and your own hair type.

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I have been advised by my hair stylist that myself and all bridesmaids need to wash their hair the night before no matter the hair type. She explained that wedding hair styling is different to normal hair dressing and for this freshly washed hair is very hard to style. It doesn't hold as easily and can take much longer and also won't last as long.
    I would suggest speaking to your hair stylist but the general rule is, wash it the night before with shampoo and only conditioner on the ends. Don't use any other products such as serums, oils or leave in conditioner as it will effect the styling of the hair.
  • C
    Savvy October 2024 Kent
    Crystal ·
    • Hide content
    My mothers a hair stylist and I’ve always been told it can’t be too clean as it won’t stay in place. It maintains style, curls, blow dry etc if not freshly washed. Having said that, if your hair is ridiculously greasy then you might NEED to wash it on the morning of. It depends on whether dry shampoo would work and what style your having xx
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. Hairstylist told me to wash the day before. For my first trial I washed it the day before and my hair looked lacklustre. For my second trial I washed it on the same morning and it looked a lot more glossy so I think I will wash it on the morning of the wedding.

I'm having hair down with Hollywood waves so I need hair that looks shiny and glossy and not dull and messy.

• E
    Curious July 2023 North Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

Hello, sounds like you have decided, however I had this discussion with my hairdresser last week and she said morning of the wedding was fine for me. She said she leaves it to personal preference. I am having mine pinned up and she said no way will my hair be moving or falling out lol and it will stay put! X

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Emma.

Yes, I think I will definitely wash the morning of the wedding. I washed my hair yesterday. Just got out of bed and it's a real mess. Hair on an older person is not like it used to be when I was a lot younger. My hair is now dyed black. Otherwise it would be salt and pepper in colour and the texture is not good these days.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics