Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Where are you spending/did you spend your wedding night?

7 April, 2012 at 18:46 Posted on Planning 0 26

Hello. Just musing over wedding night plans and wondered what people opt to do. Our venue has 3 B&B rooms at reasonable (ish) cost but the barn we wanted to book has leapt up in price. I know hotel weddings or similar are common, so that's quite an easy answer to the question, but what about others? Plus roughly how much is the cost? Anyone gone/planning to just go home?!

26 replies

Latest activity by adiesummer2012, 10 April, 2012 at 13:45
  • xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hotel wedding and get the bridal suite included for the wedding night, we've also booked it for a second night which cost us £149 and this is a discounted rate it would usually cost £220!

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

We are staying at home. Our evening reception is 5 mins in a taxi from our house, and as lovely as a nice room at the Hilton sounds, I know after a long day I'll be glad to get back to our own bed. Then there's the argument that we'll only be in it to sleep for a few hours and on our tight budget the money has been better spent elsewhere.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has a honeymoon suite so we're staying there included in the venue hire cost. But if we lived very close by and didn't have that option then I might seriously consider going home - so long as we'd be the only ones there! We are planning to go away abroad on honeymoon a couple of days after the wedding so I'd see it as saving the pennies for that. But if we weren't able to have a honeymoon straiight away I'd be tempted to go with a nice hotel for 1 night so as to make things that bit special for the wedding night if I were back to normality fairly quickly afterwards.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We initially had the same issue as you kinda want to spend your first night as a married couple in a nice place but on the other hand you end up spending a fortune for a room your barely going to be or use or the other facilities the hotel etc has to offer.

Rooms at our venue start at £300 a night but we had a pleasant surprise of a complimentary room for our wedding night when we made our booking. Which solved our problem.

If we didn't have the complimentary room thinking about it we probably would have bitten the bullet and booked the cheapest room possible at our venue any way just for convenience so you can go fresh up or have time out during the day, also take gifts back to the room etc.

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I dunno yet, would like to stay in the hotel just round the corner but its only the holiday in so nothing amazing lol x

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't have accomodation and was near enough for us to go home but we wanted it to feel special so we stayed in a posh hotel nearby for the night and went home next morning and opened all the cards before going on honeymoon the next day. Was lovely!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

We will be staying in the hotel we have our reception in. They don't have a fancy bridal suite or anything but it will be perfectly nice, and we have the manchester airport hilton for night 2, and a fabulous hotel in Turkey for the next 2 weeks ?

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

We're staying in the beautiful bridal suite of our venue, we've also booked it for a second night as a sort of 'minimoon' before we book our honeymoon, so we can use all the facilities and just relax.

This is the room...

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We got married in an Oxford college and although they did have rooms, they had hardly any with double beds and they were up 3 flights of stairs and with no shower on the staircase, so instead we went to a hotel not too far away and stayed in their bridal suite. It was fantastic, and we had some of our family round there in the morning to open presents etc.

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

The Honeymoon suite is thrown into the package at the hotel we are having our reception at, otherwise it's £90 for a double, b&b.

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't have rooms (it's a cricket stadium) However, there is a Holiday Inn Express next to it. So we'll be staying there for all of £43!

We'll be so tired we didn't see the point of going somewhere more upmarket. Plus a lot of our guests will be staying in the same hotel so it'll be nice seeing them in the morning.

• O
    Beginner May 2013
    Omgitshappening ·
    • Hide content

Our venue does not have accomodation either and although its only a 20min drive from our house we are hoping to stay in a nice hotel with a four poster. Only ever slept in a four poster bed once and would like to mark the end of our special day by doing so again - even though we will be both far too shattered to even notice we are in a four poster!

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

Same!

I also have a discounted suite for the night before, and we might stay the night after too.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    loralu ·
    • Hide content

We are staying at home, we only live a few minute walk away from the evening reception venue, it would be further to go to check into a hotel! we will probably get a taxi home tho!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Well we are getting married 200 miles from home so either we stayed with my mum and step dad or a hotel!! Ha ha! The only honeymoon suite in the village is £450!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY! For a bed?! So we are staying in a 5* B&B instead which is £120 and the couple who own it are adorable.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

We were just going to come home but I work in the hotel we had our wedding breakfast in and they offered us our room for free so we took it. Only 5 mins less walking but breakfast cooked for us in the morning so we took it!

Sorry, I've not read the whole thread so this might have been answered already. Is the barn you wanted to book part of your wedding venue?

If it is, it might be worth asking for a discount because you're already spending a chunk of money there? Where I work we often offer a free bedroom on their wedding night or at least an upgrade to one of our better rooms to guests who are going to be spending a lot of money with us already. For larger weddings we'veeven been known to pop a bottle of champagne in the room for them! (Should note that I work for a privately owned hotel and a lot of the freebies depend on how much the owners like the couple and how generous they feel!!)

No harm in asking anyway!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't have accommodation, so we are headed to our favourite hotwl for the evening. ?

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    Bride123 ·
    • Hide content

We're also staying at home too. Our venue is only a 15 minute journey from our house not only is it cheaper NOT to stay in a hotel, I actually couldn't think of anything more romantic being in our home for our wedding night! :-)

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We're staying in the bridal suite at the hotel where our reception is being held. Its being included in the price of the wedding, with full cooked breakfast the next morning.

However, the next night we're staying somewhere a little bit more special so that we can have some time to ourselves, and also without having to think that our parents/siblings are only in the next room ha ha.

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

My venue doesn't have any rooms so I have booked myself a suite at the nearest nice hotel (The Vale hotel n South Wales). We have got it for three night, so my OH can enjoy chilling out the following day too Smiley surprise)

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

We aren't sure...our venue has two cottages on the land which are available to rent, but they are EXTORTIONATELY priced. They cost about £500 per night, and I have already decided I'd like to book it the night before for my and my BMs etc, so to do it two nights in a row will cost £1000 which makes me feel a bit faint. We might go to a nice B&B nearby....or head to the Radisson that all of the guests will be staying in...I just don't know!

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    MrsCoombs2be ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has no accommodation and our very kind bosses at work have paid for us to stay in the penthouse suite at a lush hotel in town. Can't wait!

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Spookle ·
    • Hide content

We are booking a room in the hotel where OH's parents and grand-parents are staying the night, they live about 30 miles away so dont see muchof them and we are all having breakfast together the morning after

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Our venue doesn't have accommodation, although a room in a luxury hotel nearby is included in the package price. We've swapped that to the Sunday night though, as it would have been too much hassle to have to check out of our "night before" room and take all our stuff (all our honeymoon luggage too) to the new hotel, so we're going back to the same hotel as the night before and then havign the luxury room on the Sunday night. We'll get to make the most of it on the Sunday night too rather than just flopping into bed!

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

We've booked a cottage in a nearby village (our venue doesn't have accommodation either) we've booked it for the whole weekend so I'm staying there with my BMs the night before then me and new husband will be there on the night. I like the idea of being able to have all our stuff there, a bit more room and champagne and breakfast for the next day in the fridge waiting :-) it was about £150 for the whole weekend

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics