Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2022 Lancashire

Where do we stand

Matthew, 14 of August of 2021 at 16:23 Posted on Planning 0 2
I'll try to keep this concise.

My fiance and I have planned our wedding and wanted approx 100 guests with some family coming from over seas part of the wedding party.

My fiance and I picked a venue and discussed the options with the planner. As we agreed on the venue we had discussed the venue being 'exclusive' to us. When my fiance and I said exclusive we ment having the whole venue for our wedding alone and no public. After signing the contract and paying approx 50% we were in a further meeting with our organiser when the discussion came up regarding the exclusivity and it became apparent their idea of exclusivity was just no other weddings. We had the discussion and realised it must of been miscommunication and reluctantly we ended up having to pay £4000 extra for the venue to be solely ours. We swallowed that pill then covid hit.

My fiance and I had to change our wedding date twice since the original due to Covid. Like many others.
The first change was free because it fell in the first lockdown and the venue said it was no problem to change it. However, the second date was within a week of the date due to lift restrictions for full wedding numbers. We discussed this with the venue and said we have many guests including some fromm overseas who we can't expect to be on 'standby' for if the wedding is going ahead or not.
The venue explained that if the limited number was lifted then the wedding is due to go ahead and if we wanted to change the date we would have to pay inflation, if the restrictions remained we could change the date again free of charge.
We.had no option but to change the date to allow time for family and guests costing us a further £2000
So due to miscommunication and covid it has cost us £6000 in total. Plus other bits due to covid but that irrelevant.

Does anyone know if we stand a chance in any shape or form of getting any/all this extra money back? Or is it very expensive bad luck?
Thank you in advance

2 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 16 of August of 2021 at 08:26
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I cannot comment on the exclusive "small print" (my description ).

Just to make sure I understand. You cancelled/ postponed 1 week before the numbers were lifted from 30 to unlimited on the basis that the restrictions may not of been lifted.

If so it sounds like the venue are not being unreasonable. If wedding numbers were lifted as Gov planned your wedding could go ahead, if the announced numbers lifting did not happen then the venue will let you move date for free. I totally understand your issue with overseas guests but if some guests can not attend then it is not the fault of the venue. This bit.

"However, the second date was within a week of the date due to lift restrictions for full wedding numbers. We discussed this with the venue and said we have many guests including some fromm overseas who we can't expect to be on 'standby' for if the wedding is going ahead or not.
    The venue explained that if the limited number was lifted then the wedding is due to go ahead and if we wanted to change the date we would have to pay inflation, if the restrictions remained we could change the date again free of charge."

Sorry Smiley amazing

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest checking your contract to see if there is a clause around Covid and changes. Our venue has a clause that states if Covid restrictions allow the wedding to go ahead with limited numbers, but we decide to move the date due as we wanted more people then we may be charged a fee for this, I had this changed to encompass the maximum fee they could charge so we knew what the max uplift would be. There needs to be a specific clause that calls out their ability to charge and that you have agreed this by signing. If you have insurance you maybe able to claim on this but as the venue are offering to provide the original service offered the contract is not legally frustrated as it is you who wants to change the date £2k for inflation does seem a little high seeing as current inflation is tracking at under 1% so you could try to discuss with them how they have come up with the figure and negotiate them down but I unfortunately think this is something to put down to experience and you will have to pay some additional cost. good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics