Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner November 2014

Where to seat photographers at the wedding breakfast?

Lemonflower, 26 of June of 2013 at 15:36 Posted on Planning 0 24

Where did you seat your photographer at the wedding breakfast? Also did you put drinks behind the bar they could have?

As our photographer will be with us all day, we'd like to offer a meal and drinks just not sure where to seat them. We're thinking of offering her a space at a table with the other guests but was just wondering what others did? Also do you just tell them to help themselves to drinks? ?

xxxx

24 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 3 of July of 2013 at 21:45
  • Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

During the wedding breakfast we use the time to relax and have a look through the photos we've taken so far. When we are offered food (which is always much appreciated!) we prefer to have it away from the guests so we can properly chill out for a bit. That's just us though, you could always ask your photographer what she'd prefer Smiley smile

Ali

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I suppose I'll just ask what she wants to do! Our reception is in a conservatory attached to a restaurant; it's up to her whether she wants to eat with the rest of us (there will be room) or in the main restaurant. I'll prob just set up a tab at the bar for her so she can order whatever she wants from the menu / bar.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Our venue had a downstairs bar and tables. The TOG had his dinner there. He was told to ask for whatever refreshments he wanted!

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I'm happy anywhere! Any nook or cranny will do! Your photographer will just be happy that you've thought of them Smiley smile

Pete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

In the pub, few seconds walk from our marquee.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Umm, our photographer and videographers had a meal provided, but it was away from guests. Everyone needs a bit of a break, right? The venue set them up and I didn't even think about it other than checking in on them once to make sure they got on alright.

eta we told the venue to provide them with any soft drinks they wanted and it came off our account bar. Same deal for DJ.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Personally I like to sit within earshot of the room but away from the guests if there is some sort of partition/bar etc. It's because I'll usually kick my shoes off and flick through the photos with food, and if seated at a table guests will inevitably want to peer over your shoulder and ask questions or try and make small talk with you which is lovely but actually I have a 30 minutes window where my brain can finally shut down and I don't have to be constantly moving/looking around for what's going on Smiley smile

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Prop them up at the bar. They'll be grateful for that.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Marianne- we'll plonk you in the garden then, yeah? ?

(actually, if it's a nice day- that's probably not a bad idea!)

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

My photographer has said she doesn't mind if she sits with guests or apart but we don't really have any other room so we'll be sitting her with the guests.

• hannahmayphotography
    hannahmayphotography ·
    • Hide content

As a photographer myself I never mind where I get seated! :-)

I've been sat at tables with the guests, or in other rooms/bar and fed in there. I'm happy with either and always tell my couples to go with whatever they feel comfortable with x
    With regards to drinks, again it's what you feel comfortable with! I've been to weddings where I've either had to buy my drinks, the couple have had a tab and told me to put it on there, or the venue is just really lovely and lets me have them for free as I'm the photographer (admittedly, this has only happened twice..)

Ask your photographer what they would prefer, but normally we're pretty laid back and happy to 'go with the flow!', so it's down to whatever you feel better with.

P.s. Congratulations on the wedding! :-) xx

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't dream of asking for a meal from my clients so this would never arise, besides the times when the clients have ordered you a meal without telling you until on the day we never ever get it from the caterers and if we do then it is always just when the speeches are starting which is too late, I really don't get it why photographers ask for a meal to be supplied but then that's just me.?

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yeah as long as I got a bowl of water and a scratching post I'm alright LOL

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its not just you, everytime this comes up I say so,

I do not think that any supplier should be getting food or drinks. I never ask for drink or food, I have my own supplies and routines during a wedding for what and when I will eat during the day, so much so that I time how much and when I drink so that I can time loo breaks --yes that's right. I am beginning to think that I should be putting my prices up to compensate for the fact that I am not (word removed as it upset people) a meal and drinks like others seem to. And I do not need a rest for heavens sake Im only taking pictures
  • hannahmayphotography
    hannahmayphotography ·
    • Hide content

Bill, if you read the post you'll see that she stated she would like to offer her photographer food and drink. Not once did she say that it was asked for. I never ask to be supplied food or drink, but prior to the wedding I ask if they have a meal set aside for me so that I know whether or not I need to bring anything. If they have, then I appreciate their thought and consideration :-)

The post was about asking where to seat them, not for your opinion and to go off on a tangent that is irrelevant. It is also not fair for you to make out that those who do are "blagging" for a meal and drink. At the end of the day, it is their business and it works for them. Just like what you do is your business and works for you, so it isn't fair for you to criticise how others work when it, to be honest, doesn't have anything to do with you. I'm sure we all appreciate your opinion, but maybe stick to the topic at hand?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The OP's Photographer hasn't asked for a meal. The OP has offered.

Bill do you copy and paste the same thing every time this topic comes up? Wish I could time when I need a wee.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Ouch!

In other news.....

I would just ask them what they'd like. I suggested to mine that I put him on my main account so that he could order any bar snacks any any acloholic or non alcoholic drinks he chooses. He was very happy with that but said that he usually skips lunch as he likes to photograph the food in the kitchen, and then he has a little bit of down time before the speeches.

I did not think to invite them to sit with my guests, I just thought that they might like a break away from the wedding and to have something in the bar of the hotel which might be a bit simpler than 'assiette of salmon'!

• Hide content

The thing is I almost never get asked if I want food, perhaps because I never drop hints or put the thought of it in peoples heads in the first place. If I wanted food all I have to do is say, ooh yes at that point I will eat somthing in my car, or its a long day and I need to know where I can eat my sandwiches, so you dont have to ask at all --you just need to drop hints, that puts the bride and groom in a very awkward position -so what else are they going to say.Hints like this

I do not cut and paste as the post is slightly different. This isnt the place to talk about your bladder problems

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Hope you have your legs crossed when you laugh

• hannahmayphotography
    hannahmayphotography ·
    • Hide content

I'm not even going to bother dignifying that unnecessary post or quote with a response.

Lemon flower, do whatever you feel most comfortable with :-) Its your day so do it your way! I'm sure your photographer will be very grateful and not mind with either outcome x x

• Hide content

Ok I'm just going to try and put an end to this because Hitched brides are REALLY not here to see togs fighting and since I've joined in Jan this happens a lot.

Bill, please feel free to state what you choose to personally do, but I think we both know you tend to take swipes at other peoples' methods of business more often than not, you could've easily make your points without claiming the rest of us are "blagging" food, making our clients feel awkward, are all inexperienced, unskilled, doing "easy" photography etc. etc. my list can go on. I respect you and your work, I accept your work is different to mine so please accept others back.

I hope this can be a line drawn on the matter.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's OK Bill, I timed my last water consumption. Don't need to go for another 2 hours. ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Our TOG is only with us for a few hours, we don't want photos taken the whole day so 4 hours package does us, when we did consider her for the day though we were planning giving a meal, and i'd have probably just asked her what she wanted to do. If I was a TOG i'd probably want away from guests for a little 'me' time and to have a gander at pics already taken, maybe headphone some music etc but that's maybe just me, so could just ask what they'd prefer Smiley smile Ours hasn't asked or hinted for any food / drinks whatsoever but even if she said no she was fine i'd insist that she ate and wouldn't have it another way as i'm sure loads of brides & grooms do, although they're providing a service I like to make sure they're fed n watered lol Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics