Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner November 2021 West Yorkshire

Where to start...

Louise, 23 of October of 2020 at 17:12 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi All!

First post on here...

We got engaged last weekend and of course I have already started planning the wedding Smiley smile

My fiancé and I have said we would like to have the wedding in October 2021. I have contacted some venues and surprisingly they do have free dates that we can take but we need look at insurance first.

Can I ask if anyone has taken insurance out? Which is the best one?

Not only do we have covid to contend with, my dad was diagnosed with cancer 4 months ago and the treatment is going well and the tumour is shrinking. My parents are self isolating as it is too risky out there for them.

So even if we were to hold a wedding next year, would my dad even be safe?...I know no one can answer my question I'm just talking out loud haha!

We didn't want to wait too long before the wedding as we are in our 30's now and don't want to wait too long before starting for children.

Has anyone booked a wedding for the back end of the year? Have you done a full guest list?

Even if we were allowed 50 people to attend a wedding then that would work for us and then we can do gathering maybe in 2022 for everyone else.

Sorry for the "all over the place" message. Just feeling a little lost at the moment!

5 replies

Latest activity by Theorganisedbride, 29 of October of 2020 at 12:46
  • L
    Beginner July 2021 Greater Manchester
    Littlemisssunshine ·
    • Hide content
    Hello & congratulations on your engagement! ?

We are planning on getting married early July 2021, we had the date before the recent announcement reducing to 15 people. We already chose a venue and had down 50 day guests (though kids were on top of this) and 100+ evening guests. We have spoken to the venue and they said that if the numbers go down due to restrictions we will get a refund for the difference or we can move the date.Like you, we could manage on a total of 50. We would struggle with 30 but said we’d likely go ahead with it, but if still 15 then a definite no.
    I think if you’re looking at October you have more chance of things being back to some normality.
    As for wedding insurance, I’ve not taken this out myself as yet but from other threads I’ve read it seems people are struggling to get insurance at the moment due to Covid.
    Our venue has said we can pay the deposit by credit card, which will offer us some security if things go wrong.For me it’s everything else that’s stressing me out, I feel we should have booked a number of things by now but I’m reluctant when things are still so uncertain. I think we are going to wait until the new year and then look at booking other things. It’s hard though!!
    Good luck with your planning, hopefully we will all have the wedding we want next year ?
  • L
    Beginner July 2021 Greater Manchester
    Littlemisssunshine ·
    • Hide content
    Also sorry to hear about your Dad! I hope he makes a speedy recovery and can enjoy your big day with no concerns for safety ?
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! We're also getting married in October 2021, having gotten engaged during lockdown Smiley smile

We haven't tried to take out insurance, but agreed with the venue when we booked that it would be the same price to change the date if restrictions get in the way of our wedding day. Having said that, my fiance and I have agreed that as long as there are about 25-30 guests allowed, we will still go ahead. Like you, I don't want to wait any longer to start having children, so if the restrictions stay at 15 (which wouldn't cover just my family, let alone any other guests), then I figure we'll get married legally and have the reception another time when we are allowed again.

Our guest list is currently 60 people, with a fair amount of certain that some (elderly or overseas relatives) will decline regardless of the Covid situation. We will still invite them all and hope that, should we have to rescind the invitation, they will be understanding of the circumstances. I've sorted lots of other things out for the wedding, including flowers, cake, rings... I'm trying to be positive that all these things will be needed, which isn't my usual position on things but it helps at the moment. (Not to mention, regardless of whether there is a big wedding, I will still be eating cake!!!)

I'm sorry to hear about your dad - hopefully he'll be doing well by this time next year and the health situation will have gone away to a degree. If not, I'm sure he'd want to be there for your wedding even if it meant not shielding for one day!

• H
    Curious October 2021 Norfolk
    Holly ·
    • Hide content

Hi Louise

Congrats on your engagement and planning! Smiley smile We've also booked for October 2021. We're working with a guest list of 30-40 daytime, and then up to 120 evening if allowed although we'll still go ahead if we can only have 30 for the whole day, as like you we don't want to wait too long! Luckily, our venue works for both numbers (with some clever styling to make it more intimate for just 30!)

I looked at insurance this weekend, and the only one I could find that are still selling new policies is covermywedding. I'm not that impressed by the policy, so we've decided to wait until January to take out insurance, in the hope that things may be starting to ease. January is also when we pay a big chunk of the venue cost so would like to be covered before that payment. I'm struggling to get suppliers to accept anything other than BACS.

Also, any new insurance policy won't cover for any COVID related incidents, so it is really to cover other possibilities such as illness, supplier failure etc. I've made sure to get all suppliers to put in writing in email what they're COVID cancellation policy is, in case we were to be restricted to 15 people and therefore would want to move the date.

Sending best wishes for your Dad as well. Fingers crossed we'll be on a path to normality by next October!

• T
    Dedicated September 2021 East Central London
    Theorganisedbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Holly,

Totally in the same boat here re insurance/suppliers (early May wedding, 100 guests). We have just made sure our suppliers are crystal clear in emails (since its an amendment to their standard contract terms) what would happen if we're forced to postpone due to covid restrictions.

Most of them said they would be flexible and move to a new date, and if they can't do the new date, then we get the deposit back. Only 2 have said we wouldn't get the deposit back but these are quite small deposits (e.g. £50 for make up person). We can get through this! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics