Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2022 Hampshire

Where to start ?

Katie, 12 of May of 2022 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 5
Hi ! Newly engaged .

I font know where to start! Can anyone personally recommend venues ? We are looking for Hampshire/West Sussex.
We want something festival /woodland feel hog roast etc... however, the more I look the more expensive I feel it is ..
Woukd like to visit old thorns as package wise they come out as good value ?
We do have a budget although no idea how much of a budget it should be it all feels very confusing . We aren't after anything typically formal or lavish . Just a lovely setting

And also , photographers . Amy recommendations or even a rough guide to pricing? I don't like having my photo taken so feel this is going to be tricky !
Thanks Katie

5 replies

Latest activity by Jamesnah, 19 of May of 2022 at 20:14
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on getting engaged.

I think the first thing you really need to do is sort your budget out. Have a think about how much you can realistically spend on your wedding. Once you have this it will help you make decisions going forward. For example my budget is just over £20,000, so we had this in mind when looking at venues. In the end we booked a £12,000 venue which includes our DJ, catering all our silverware, linen etc.

You should also prioritise things that you want at your wedding. As you may find you have to choose between certain things due to budget. So I would sit down with your other half and make a list of things you must have, things you ideally want and then things that are last priority. This will help guide your decisions later down the line and you can focus on the top priorities first.

For an idea of costs if it helps you I have put some of my costs below.

* Photographer £650 for the day (family friend)

*Videographer £1250

*Venue £12,000

*Decor (chair covers, bows and table runners) £180

* Photobooth £425

* Cars £525

* Cake £350

* Pianist £338

* Make up for myself and 4 bridesmaids £400

Also when you decide on what things you want to book, make sure you shop around. There are so many suppliers and quotes can massively vary. For example I was quoted over £2000 for a videographer but I kept searching and was actually recommended someone who did a friends wedding and he was almost £800 cheaper.

Try not to let it overwhelm you, it is a lot of fun to plan, just take it step by step and have fun putting your day together Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner December 2022 Hampshire
    Katie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Many thanks for this it feels very overwhelming! We've recently brought a new house soo the budget is tight i think venue with food and drinks etc will have to be around 7k . Top end. I think we will also have to donit out of season as well. I had no idea how expensive things were !
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes out of season and on a weekday will reduce the cost alot. We are getting married on a Thursday and its £8k cheaper than if we had gone with a Saturday.

Do lots of research and you will find what you want. I spent so much time researching when I first started planning. Also get a wedding planning book because they have so many tips in them, which really helped me.

I bought this one and can highly recommend it: https://busyb.co.uk/wedding-planner-book

Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner June 2024 Hampshire
    Natalie ·
    • Hide content
    I live in a similar area and only been engaged about 3 months myself. I looked (didn’t view in person) Langstone Quays I thought that looked lovely too
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! One thing that helped us at the beginning was for each of us to choose our top priorities so we could focus on these (and spend more on them/less on other stuff). Eg for both of us, a good photographer was an essential. We also wanted to prioritise venue but weren’t so bothered about matching outfits for the bridal party (saved a fortune by only providing outfits for the kids!).
    Also, don’t forget to budget for the real essentials - like the ceremony itself (just paid for ours and it was almost £500 (varies on your area and is cheaper if you dont want the registrar to come to you) but cant get married without it!!).
    Good luck - and dont forget the importance of some non wedding time 🥳

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics