Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner October 2014

where would you sit the mother of the groom?

katie80uk, 9 of August of 2014 at 20:34 Posted on Planning 0 16

In my ceremony room I have 50 people, so 5 rows of 5 seats on each side.

On my side on my front row I have my mum,who is giving me away,my 2 bridesmaids and then brother and sister.

On the grooms side he has 2 best men, the 2 dads and page boy our son.

I'm I OK putting his mother on the 2nd row? She would be on the aisle so she has good viewing but don't want her to think I'm being nasty for not putting her on the front row beside his sister and nans. To me the grooms party should all be on the front

16 replies

Latest activity by Alreadymarried , 10 of August of 2014 at 13:01
  • B
    Beginner December 2014
    brideoffrankenstein ·
    • Hide content

I think she does need to be in the front row. I would ask someone else to move back a row ie one of best men or even a sibling.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

His mum should be on the front row with her husband.

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

One dad is mine and one is his because my dad isn't giving me away, my partner is having the 2 dads as ushers. She's signing the register for us as a witness and we have placed her on he aisle of 2nd row so has perfect view. We have 2 rows on each side reserved for family. I don't think she will be bothered but just wanted to ask what other people have done x

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Could she go on the 'brides' side and one of your siblings go on second row? It would kind of work as both dad's are on his side, but I agree that it would look bad with her behind the main party... another option is having bridal parties stood to the side if the ceremony wouldn't be too long?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

She needs to on the front with her husband. Unless your parents are separated they should be together. If they are then your Dad should be in the aisle seat 2nd row. Don't separate parents from each other during the ceremony as they won't be together for the breakfast.

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others. The grooms mum is no less important than your mum and the dads. Front row should be parents, followed my MOH and best man, bridesmaids and ushers and then only siblings if you have space.

Just think how you would feel if it's your son & you were put in the second row.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Could your son sit on someone's lap? I agree she needs to go on front row

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Definitely on the front row. I think it may cause upset and a rift if you put her on the second row

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

Would it look silly putting her on my side beside my mum in the front row?

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I know you said your dad is an usher but I don't understand why he can't sit on your side with your mum and leave the grooms mother to sit on his side with his dad.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

There's no reason why your mum and dad and OH's mum and dad shouldn't sit on the respective sides all in the front row. I agree with what's been said before. It would look wrong and is pushing her out. your brother and sister wouldn't normally sit on the front row unless they have bridal party roles and your OH's sister isn't on the front row.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    clarabellboo ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else. I think you should have one of your siblings move to the second row and put your dad on your side so she can be in the front row. I think having her in the second row could be taken really badly, and not just by her.

• P
    Beginner September 2015
    Pink1986 ·
    • Hide content

I'd have to agree with everything that's been said above. I know everyone has different relationships with parents/in laws but I'm sat with my MIL now so I've asked her! She said she would be absolutely gutted if we put her on the second row especially if the other 3 parents are all front row

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think id have to agree as well. My partner hasnt got best relationship with his mum so he isn't bothered but I think both parents should be seen to at the front.

I've rearranged them all now so hope it works x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely agree 100% with the others - Mother of the Groom needs to be on the front row and I'd move the bridesmaids back as they are much less important than MOG. If it were my son, I'd be really upset especially if I hadn't been forewarned about it.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

You need to have her on the front row, she's no less important than any other parent and to be honest I think you could cause great offence doing otherwise. It's quite insulting.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics