Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Which Mexico hotel for honeymoon - El Dorado Seaside Suites or Excellence Playa

pandorasbox, 24 of May of 2011 at 21:09 Posted on Planning 0 13

We are both fancying Mexico now and I know lots of hitchers have been or are planning on going. We are stuck between the above places - can anybody offer any tips or anything that can help us decide one way or another.

I also love the Dreams one with their own dolphinarium but for some reason OH doesn't fancy it Smiley sad

13 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 25 of May of 2011 at 17:48
  • Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

No advice really but I am biased as I think that we are going to book the El Dorado Seaside suites for our honeymoon. It looks and sounds amazing!

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for EDSS! I can't remember why we didn't go for the other one but it could have been more expensive!?

We chose the EDSS because:

• It's adult only
    • Quiet but with lots of excursions available
    • Gourmet all inclusive (no buffets)
    • Spa bath in the rooms!
    • Small enough to get really personal service
    • The ppics look amazing and...
    • Most tripadvisor reviews are glowing

x

• SarB
    Beginner August 2011
    SarB ·
    • Hide content

I would be biased towards Excellence Playa Mujeres as thats were I have booked!!

xx

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

We were looking at the Excellence Playa Mujeres but for next year, the prices went totally out of our budget so looked at EDSS and booked there for our HM... glad we did as the more I look at the pictures and read the reviews, the more I prefer it to the Excellence...

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

We have decided on Secrets Maroma - adults only and looks lovely! Gets brilliant reviews on trip advisor x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I loved the look of both, but we are going to the Excellence because:

• It's adults only
    • It has 9 restuarants (EDSS has 6 I think from looking at their website?) which is a big issue when your as fussy as eater as me
    • It has 24 hour room service free of charge
    • It's in the middle of no-where which means pure relaxation for us
    • They have a lovely swim up suite.

I think the only negative (for some) is that it is quite isolated - you can go out on trips etc but there is no town/shops closeby to walk around.

• MrsLoftus2be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLoftus2be ·
    • Hide content

Ive been to the excellence which is absolutely gorgeous!!! The only bad point is that the entertainments rubbish and is repeated as they cater for the american guests more than the british and the americans dont stay for longer than a week. But that really is it. All the excellence resorts are outstanding and they're all near enough the same make up- dominican rep is also meant to be v nice!

I'm going to the el dorado for my honeymoon, i really wanted a swim up room and the excellence don't do them (well unless you call pulling youself out of the pool then walking across the grass negotiating the iguana's to get to your swim up room- which excellence do) So pleased we didnt pay extra for one of them when we went, so id defo recommend not paying for one of those. Excellence has slightly better reviews than the el dorado so thats a positive for the excellence. they also have loads of restaurants and bars- it really was amazing!!! A quick point to make for anyone going to any of the excellence resorts is that there is a dress code- worth looking on the website for the stipulations as they were quite strict about it when we went 2 years ago.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just realised that you are getting married the after we are so if you do choose the EDSS... I'll see you there!!! hehe

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    soon-to-be-Mrs-King ·
    • Hide content

Out of the 2 I would go for EDSS, it was in my top 3 but I just booked our honeymoon yesterday to The Royal Cancun.

I think which ever one you go with you'll have an amazing time as they are both top rated hotels.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks everyone, am really excited now!

The El dorado is OH's fave so far, but the excellence worked out slightly cheaper somehow. I want to be in a place with luxury and proper swim up rooms and that is not too isolated if we want to have a bit of nightlife too. Can't wait to start haggling with travel agents!

Anybody recommend who to book either hotel through?

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

I THINK that EDSS is exclusive now to Thomson/First Choice, but again could be wrong.

Like the other hotek they also have 24 hr room service if that helps!

Also just read a new review on TA that says they have a professional TOG on site if you want any nice snaps done of the two of you! I'm not sure if this is standard for Mexico/Carribean hotels but sounds good to me (although may be quite pricey!)

x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Winter bride - The excellence has the same, as we are going to have some pics and cannot wait!

@ OP - based on you wanting some nightlife (assuming you mean a nightclub outside the resort) I'd suggest you don't do the Excellence as you will be disappointed.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whoo KBS an almost date twin and a potential honeymoon twin!!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Little Madam, yes we are quite lazy and usually stay with whatever a hotel/resort has to offer - but as we are going for 10 or 11 nights we would like the option to venture out if the fancy takes us or if the hotel entertainement or club/bars are samey.

Looks like El Dorado is the winner so far from these comments, though they both look so amazing (and also have looked now at the Royal Cancun...mmm...) OH will be pleased with EDSS! It's about time I let him decide something anyway, so I will let him think it is all his own decision and I haven't been double checking with hitchers hehehe.

Thanks everyone!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics