Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hypnopoison
Beginner September 2012

Which side does Dad walk down the aisle???

Hypnopoison, 7 July, 2012 at 23:22 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello, I was hoping you could help me out. Which side of the bride does the father walk on? Some sites say left and some say right ... I know some might be American and they normally do things different. Any help is much appreciated Smiley surprise)

8 replies

Latest activity by jojo2, 8 July, 2012 at 22:02
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally, he walks on your left.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, havent really thought about this. I'd presume on the side he was going to sit down on, which I beleive is to your left as you walk down. I'm just thinking this as I don't think he'd walk infront of you to sit down, nore try get over the dresses train?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Mine was on my left.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't really thought about it, but left makes sense as then he can sit down and also he can give you to your OH. IF he was on the right, he'd be inbetween you and OH and it would be fiddly.

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Brill, thank you. The reason I ask is I was BM for my bridesmaid a few weeks ago and the registrar said what side just before we were to go in and and my friend said no, I want him on the right, Ive checked it on the internet. It did cause a few issues at the end with her Father trying to get round the train and the BMs to get onto the correct side.

She also said think of my dress, as I have most. Of the detail to the left side of the dress which would look better if my father was on my right. Ah well. Funnily enough if you check out American sites, they say the right hand side. Just to doubly mark sure I checked out the royal wddding on YouTube .... Left for Daddy it is! Thanks ladies xxxx

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

I'm having both my parents walking me down the aisle because I'm not the most traditional of chicks and figure that both of them have made me the person I am today, so it seems a bit mean to exclude my mum! I guess this means one or other of them will have the issue of the train/veil, then, because both are quite large. The dress and veil, not my parents! Ho hum, the important thing is that they're both there, not that they have to have a three minute detour to circumnavigate my dress ?

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

My Dad will be on my left, seems more 'comfortable' that way.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Although in the USA it is common for the bride and groom to be on opposite sides compared to the UK

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My dad was on my left so I was next to OH when I got to the bottom of the aisle.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics