Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2b_MrsB
Beginner June 2013

which toast for which speaker ??

2b_MrsB, 3 May, 2013 at 09:03 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone.

I know this is a what ever they want to do question but traditionally who makes which toast ?

Am I right in thinking that -

Best Man - toasts the bridesmaid

FOB - toasts the Bride & Groom

Groom - toasts absent family & friends

??

Who will be toasting who on your day ??

L x

6 replies

Latest activity by Mark Sapsford M.C, 6 May, 2013 at 17:12
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Dad - venue, bride and groom.

Boy - respective families, absent friends, bridesmaids, me.

Best man - Boy, bride and groom again.

We just went with whatever fitted, no heed to tradition whatsoever.

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

And the reasons it's in that order is that usually...

The FOTB starts by thanking the guests for coming and ends with a toast to the bride and groom.

The groom starts by responding to that toast on behalf of himself and his bride and ends with a toast to the bridesmaids.

The best man's speech should start with him responding on behalf of the bridesmaids. He usually ends with another toast to the bride and groom.

Obviously females are incapable of speaking for themselves and their job is simply to look pretty and smile while the men speak for them.

(The previous sentence may contain traces of irony)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Does it really matter these days? We're having 2 best men speeches, a sister of the bride speech, and a groom's speech. Even though my sister is doing a speech in place of our dad, I don't expect her to stick to the traditions, and the best men will probably be one funny and one serious, and Ant's speech is already sounding a bit like a funny best man's speech, but I don't think it matters ?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally, FoB toasts the couple, the groom toasts the bridesmaids and then the BM responds on behalf of the bridesmaids. These days I don't think it matters as long as everyone gets thanked!

At ours, my dad toasted "absent friends" and then us, I can't actually remember who the BM toasted, and then H toasted me. I then realised that the bridesmaids hadn't been toasted so had to get up and ad lib a little speech of my own.

• M
    Mark Sapsford M.C ·
    • Hide content

From experience of the last couple of years, the traditional FOB, Groom and Best Man Speeches seems to have gradually changed to include other family members.

One wedding I officiated at recently, we had FOB, FOG, Groom, and the "Best Man" was actually a Best Woman

My advice is to go with what you feel is right, its your day and your MC or Toastmaster will ensure they are announced and honored by your guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics