Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

zoe@hitched
Dedicated February 2016

Which wedding tradition would you gladly leave behind?

zoe@hitched, 17 of July of 2015 at 15:16

Posted on Planning 42

We've been wondering which wedding tradition would you gladly see the back of? Please feel free to comment if you think we've missed one or if you'd like to elaborate on why you voted for a particular tradition. Looking forward to seeing the outcome Zoe x [Poll]

We've been wondering which wedding tradition would you gladly see the back of?

Please feel free to comment if you think we've missed one or if you'd like to elaborate on why you voted for a particular tradition.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome Smiley smile

Zoe x

[Poll]

42 replies

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with this!!! I am not having a table plan for this exact reason. Only works really with a non formal meal as other wise staff need to know who is having what I suppose x

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    firsttimebride83 ·
    • Hide content

We're not having a wedding breakfast, a reception, a first dance, a best man, bouquet toss....in factm any of that! Short ceremony at a hotel, then a meal in their restaurant :-)

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I thought a meal after the ceremony was a wedding breakfast? (Genuine question. I'm American, and this term isn't used.)

We didn't have a table plan or a top table. Our guests ordered their meals on the day - easy peasy!

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

I voted for fruit cake.

I've never really like fruit cake, and I think my FH would cry if we had it as our wedding cake. We'll be having chocolate, maybe triple chocolate, maybe mocha, maybe chocolate orange.. Or even Chocolate and Ale!

I'm going to also make an oreo cupcake tower for the sweet buffet!

• JayneysGettingMarried
    Beginner June 2017
    JayneysGettingMarried ·
    • Hide content

Bouquet toss for me! Oh and the receiving line, snoozefest!

I love fruit cake, my dress will be white and we will have a first dance. Not sure about a garter though, don't really see the point!

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

Fruit cake!!

• W
    Beginner May 2016
    Woman_in_White ·
    • Hide content

Voting for the bouquet toss - I'm hoping to have mine preserved afterwards so would like to keep them as neat as possible.

we are having a 4 tiered cake, the top being fruit because I like the tradition of keeping that for the next special occasion Smiley winking

I'm quite traditional to be honest but the one I'm not going with is my father walking me down the aisle to 'give me away'. I don't think I'm alone in saying I have no father present in my life and I feel it's now a very outdated tradition. Most people I tell do seem to be quite shocked though that I'm not having anybody walk me down.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh, Woman-in-White, I am NOT alone..!

I don't have a father, or step father or any other sort of father figure to walk me down the aisle and 'give me away'and there has been much consternation about who I'm going to get to do it... my Mum? My brother? An Uncle?

Ahhh.Uhhh, none of the above... I don't need or want to be 'given away'- I don't like the whole 'females are chattels to be passed around' connotation and at 43, albeit as a first time bride, I am quite big enough to walk down the aisle on my own!!!

This decision has not been taken well by some tho ?

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Ladylou178 ·
    • Hide content

Father giving the bride away. The feminist in me HATES this! The idea that a woman is owned by her father before she is given to another man infuriates me and I will be walking down the aisle alone.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I walked in with my dad (there's no aisle as such in the blacksmiths shop) but nobody gave me away, I asked for that part to be taken out of the ceremony, as I too am a strident feminist. There is potential for compromise, if you want one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics