Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenna
Beginner August 2023 Cumbria

White gold Vs platinum

Jenna, 9 of July of 2021 at 23:25 Posted on Planning 0 10
So my partner bought my engagement ring and it’s beautiful but 3 sizes too big! We were going to send it back but long story short I scratched it pretty bad in the first 15mins of wearing it 🤦🏼‍♀️😭 and we are struggling to get it resized due to it being 3 sizes and having diamonds in half the band, it’s also sterling silver which apparently scratches and wears away quickest.
I have a hobby job and work part time with cattle and I am very hands on so with the ring not being too crazy priced to start with we have decided to get another bit a more hard wearing metal.
Which would people recommend? I’m worried with me working outside I’d have to get white gold redipped too often?White gold Vs platinum 1

10 replies

Latest activity by Marie, 13 of July of 2021 at 22:22
  • Jade
    Dedicated May 2022 Essex
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    I think Platinum is supposed to be more hard wearing hence why it’s more expensive! Mine I white gold I have had if for just over a year and it has a couple of scratches on it nothing really noticeable unless you look really up close.
  • Jenna
    Beginner August 2023 Cumbria
    Jenna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, it’s so hard deciding 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I just don't wear my e-ring to work. Whatever I got, I'd be worried about it getting filthy or damaged, so I just wear it when I'm not working. I wear my wedding ring all the time, but that is a plain gold band. We've been married a year now, and while it isn't as shiny as it was on our wedding day, it's stood up well to the constant beating it gets. But I don't think anything with a stone would last as well.

• Ella
    Beginner August 2022 West Sussex
    Ella ·
    • Hide content
    Beautiful cows 😍 I’ve got a yellow gold engagement ring, did a bit of research and it’s meant to age well. Apparently the higher the carat the better as even though gold is a softer metal, scratches don’t show up as well, or at least that’s what I read online. I’ve been wearing mine for 4 months and I work as a primary teacher, no scuffs or marks yet and it does get bashed about a fair bit. Have had to scrub blue paint off it though… 🙈
  • T
    Curious November 2022 Northamptonshire
    Tesni ·
    • Hide content
    I'd personally recommend platinum as its more hard wearing - I'm a jewellery designer and most of my customers prefer platinum as gold wears down really easily (and is more expensive), the amount of wedding rings I have to remodel due to the engagement ring and wedding ring rubbing against each other is insane! Also like you said, the rhodium plating to make white gold less yellow does wear away after a while. Hope that helps Smiley smile
  • T
    Curious November 2022 Northamptonshire
    Tesni ·
    • Hide content
    ***sorry just wanted to add as well that when i said platinum is cheaper that was referring to 18ct gold not 9ct...9ct is cheaper but can be more brittle!
  • R
    Beginner September 2022
    RomanticPurpleConfetti35475 ·
    • Hide content
    I’d honestly advise not wearing it for work- I broke my first one so we got a new one mine is white gold I have mine dipped once a year, I’m a health care assistant and I don’t wear mine because the constant hand washing / sanitising strips the metal quicker. I think you’d be fine with white gold and only wearing it outside of work x
  • Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    Why dont u wear it as a necklace
  • G
    Beginner August 2021 Staffordshire
    Gerrard ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, I always go for yellow gold, my E-ring still looks good can’t really see any scratches.
    Still going strong 7 years later that’s dealing with horses, sheep and lambs, and highland cattle/calves.
  • Marie
    Savvy October 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Marie ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve got white gold. After comparing it to my other white gold ring that I’ve only had a year or two I’d say not to bother. The one that’s abit older needs recoating already, had I realised this needs to be done I’d have gone with something else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics