Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2022 Saint Helier

Whittling down the guestlist

Bex, 15 of December of 2021 at 10:09 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6

Why is this so hard?! Smiley atonished

We're planning to send our invites in the New Year which will be 4-5 months prior to the wedding, so are currently scrutinising our initially hastily put together guestlist (which has expanded since we first wrote it!).

At the moment, if everyone were to accept, it stands at about 10 people and £1500 over budget. We budgeted for 60 and currently have 70 written down.

Some of these people we get on great with, but don't tend to see outside the context of certain situations. They're friends of friends almost, but all part of the same group. For example we see Couples A, B and C at social events all together reasonably regularly and have known them for years, but wouldn't as a matter of course see Couple C on their own, or converse with them regularly outside of the group. This scenario is repeated a couple of times in the list.

If you had to be firm with your guestlist where did you draw the line?

Obviously we realise that there's likely to be people who can't make it, but with these numbers I don't think we can rely on that being almost 15% of the list so would rather whittle it down first and then add people as extras if possible later (being fully accepting that 'reserve' people may then not wish to come).

Thanks in advance!

B

6 replies

Latest activity by Amber, 12 of January of 2022 at 09:41
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

We had the same issue, we have a group of 5 couples us but realistically we see 3 couples more than the others and outside of group events. We were quite ruthless and just cut them but had on the back up list if we had declines from other areas. In your situation, if you only see these people in a group event and don't speak or see them at other times then I think you are fine to cut them to the reserve list and then move up if you can. It is hard as you don't want to upset them but is your day and in honesty, if I was in a group like you mention and didn't really have a relationship I wouldn't expect a day invite, just the evening. Or, if you are able to accommodate the numbers at your venue and the cost them invite them, you may get declines from others that will naturally bring your numbers down.

• B
    Bex ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Charlotte. I think that's what we may have to do; or perhaps we'll send the invites to those that have to travel (and are therefore quite likely to make a quick decision and let us know) first and local friends a couple of weeks later - that might help to make final numbers a bit clearer before we send the local invites.

Smiley smile

• B
    Bex ·
    • Hide content

It would also help if we were having a day and evening split, but we're having everyone for a (relatively short) full day.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like a good idea. When we sent save the dates we asked if people knew they couldn't come to let us know ASAP and that led to 8 people declining immediately so we had time to move people around. Send the ones to the people traveling first but give them a date to reply by, 4 weeks should be enough and then on that date you can send out to others and know if you have gaps you can fill with the C couples
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re doing this too and for the first round of invites are drawing the line with an attitude of “if this person/couple came and no one else in the group did, would we excitedly run up to them?” If it would be a more chill “hey” then they’re on the B list unless we get declines and can bump them up.
  • Amber
    Savvy November 2022 West Yorkshire
    Amber ·
    • Hide content
    We’re having a small day wedding and then a larger evening wedding. The day do we kept to immediate family and closest friends and the evening all our friends and family. Everyone has understood this as we didn’t want a large day. It’s your special day not a friends gathering so I’m sure they would understand if only a few were at the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics