Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

Who do I invite to Hen?

Skeptical78, 18 January, 2013 at 10:23 Posted on Planning 0 4

Bit of sensitive advice needed. I'm planning my hen for the last weekend of June. I've got a list of invitees- obviously my mum, sisters and friends. I would invite my fiance's mum but she's a bit...odd...about things like this (she freaks out if she has go out for dinner, so a weekend of camping probably isn't her thing! He's told me not to bother asking).

The sticking point is this: do I invite my fiance's sister- my soon-to-be sister in law? We're not massively close- really only see each other at family occasions (Xmas, etc.) and we're VERY different- she's super girly whereas I'm a massive tomboy- althought we get on OK when we do meet. We don't really have much in common but I feel like I should invite her out of tradition?

You might say that it would be a great opportunity to bond, but...well, we went on holiday with her, her family and my fiance's mum and dad a couple of years back, and she was a NIGHTMARE. Spent the week acting like a bit of a brat, being over-sensitive, moany, making digs at her husband / kids / parents, etc. I'd never seen that side of her before. She also tends to fly off the hook at the tiniest little things and is a bit of a drama queen, to be honest- totally different to my friends / family and I. My only concern is that, if I invite her, she might have a few drinks and kick off at something / someone and cause tension for the whole weekend...alternatively if I DON'T invite her then she might take umbridge at that....I just don't know what to do. If I'm honest, I don't really want her there because I don't think I'll be able to relax and enjoy myself properly, but I don't know if it's worth the aggro of not inviting her if I'm 'supposed' to!

What do you think?

4 replies

Latest activity by Chedi, 18 January, 2013 at 13:58
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Have your camping weekend with your family and friends.

Then maybe a dinner out with your Mum, his Mum and his sister, maybe your CBM?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

That is a very good idea indeed...if we can get his mum out of the house! ?

How about this for further controversy then; we've been together for 11 years (engaged for 4) and yet our parents have NEVER met!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I'm inviting my future SIL but I get on well with her, I'm not inviting my Mum on my hen do though as I wouldn't be able to relax and let my hair down! I've not invited the best man's wife as even though I get on well with her I don't know her that well and she won't know anyone else there.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

This is kinda why I went for a city break with just 3 friends, and then everyone else I'm just doing a meal with in a local pub/resturant.

I think it'll definetly be worth inviting them out to something, maybe an afternoon tea, that again is still girly and maybe just for family instead of friends - so theyre still included, but its short and shouldnt involve drinking alcohol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics