Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lady_lyla
Beginner September 2013

Who does readings at civil ceremony?

lady_lyla, 5 March, 2012 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 0 10

We weren't going to have any readings but now I've been told our ceremony will be super short without them, I'm definitely considering it (although struggling to find non-religious, non-cheesy options!) but wondered who usually reads them?

10 replies

Latest activity by vicster, 6 March, 2012 at 14:20
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Whoever you want to - for ours my MOH is reading one, I may ask my brother to read one (one of the ushers) and at least one of the best men

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

Whoever you want to! I don't think there's any rules or traditions about who it should be.... We're hoping to have readings and i'm probably going to ask MIL2B and possibly SIL2B to do them, just so OH's family feel more involved.... I did the one and only reading at my dad's wedding a few years ago so i think it's totally down to who you want to do it ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Whoever you want, as the above posters have said!

I had people that I couldn't involve anywhere else. I had one friend that I didn't make a Bridesmaid, so asked her to do a reading instead, and she picked a 'surprise' one for me and I loved it. (H and the registrar knew what it was before the day... it was an extract from the Velveteen Rabbit.)

I also had a cousin, N... she would have been a BM, but I didn't think she could make it (she lives in Malaysia) and she decided to come over just for the weekend to attend my wedding. Since I'd already made my other girl cousins BMs, and it was too late to get matching dresses etc, I asked N to do a reading for me. She read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 for us.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want to make anyone do one, but my Auntie has offered. She will be reading 'Old Love'

This link has a few (but the link won't work properly a as I'm pasting from my iPhone, sorry!):

https://www.hitched.co.uk

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We're not having any either. We went to a civil ceremony in October and it lasted 20 mins without readings. I thought that was enough.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We are hoping to have one, or possible two for the same reason.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to add, I've asked my best friend to do a reading as my sisters are bridesmaids.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

We have 2 reading at ours - one very short (about 1-2 minutes) and then a longer one (4-5 minutes). We don't really have any friends that would want to do it, so OH and I have decided to do them ourselves. He is doing the short one and I'm doing the long one Smiley smile

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my godfather do "what is real from the velvateen rabbit x

• S
    skitchums ·
    • Hide content

Since I'd already made my other girl cousins BMs, and it was too late to get matching dresses etc, I asked N to do a reading for me. She read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116 for us.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

The registry office where we got married only permitted one reading of less than 2 minutes, which my now sister in law did. even with that the actually ceremony was only about 15 mins.

in our own ceremony which we did with friends and family we had my brother, my niece, one of my best friend's, one of his, and my brother's wife sang.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics