Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs.K2b
Beginner August 2015

Who gets a buttonhole??

Mrs.K2b, 24 of May of 2014 at 22:10 Posted on Planning 0 10

So after having a few weeks off from wedding planning, I've thrown myself back into it to try and get the rest of the main things booked - florist, cake, band and cars. I emailed the florist with our ideas and requirements, but trouble is, I have no idea how many buttonholes to get!!

So who are you having a button hole for? Is it just for groom/best man/ushers and parents, or are you having them for other members of your family too?

10 replies

Latest activity by MrsGreen-27/9/14, 25 of May of 2014 at 08:37
  • Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're not having ushers, so the buttonholes will just be for my OH, bestman, my dad and OH's dad. We're having quite a small wedding so if I widened it out anymore I'd probably end up with buttonholes for everyone!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

The male bridal party members and groomsmen should get them, mums get corsages. I've been to a couple of weddings where all the men are provided with a buttonhole.

I've not decided what to do yet, especially as I'm making them. Do I make four or do I make 15 hmmmmmm lol

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Who do you want to have a buttonhole?

My brother had them for every guest. ? We'll be having them for groom, best man and groom's dad (my dad passed away or he would have one too). Both mums will get a corsage.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Definitely wanted them for groom (obv!) best man, the 2 ushers and our parents, we each have a sister, so probably one for the two of them as well? when you say a corsage, do you mean to wear around the wrist? I can't see either of our mums wanting that, they'd rather have something to pin on to their jacket/top. was thinking about for grandparents too (Mr K has 1 set of grandparents and I have my Nan), but then do you have to get them aunts/uncles too?!

Also as we are having a church wedding, should I get them for the two people doing readings? (my Godmother and one of my cousins)

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    Laura0509 ·
    • Hide content

We are having buttonholes with one flower matching my bouquet for groom, groomsmen (ushers,2 best men) dads and having a couple made for grandads who are sadly no longer with us-next door to our church is the memorial gardens where OH family spread his Grandads ashes so OH and his mum are going to place one by his memorial which I think is lovely, so am having one for my Grandad too. We are having boutonnieres for our mums and Nan's, which are basically a buttonhole but will have a different flower which will also match my bouquet. So if you're unsure about them wanting to wear a wrist corsage they can still have something just maybe a little different to the men's ones. xx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

A wrist corsage goes on the wrist. A regular corsage is pinned on. It's the traditional feminine version of a buttonhole. This is the one our mothers will be having: http://www.pinklilac.co.uk/purple-lisianthus-corsage

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! A corsage is pinned on to a jacket or a dress. If a wrist corsage is required (I know you don't want one but just giving a trade tip) it must be asked for by name as it is a completely different piece of floristry to a normal corsage. Handbag corsages should also be asked for specifically. A normal corsage is very different to a buttonhole in that it has more flowers in, has a different shape to a buttonhole, is only worn by females, and resembles a miniature bouquet in shape.

Regarding your original query, it is generally buttonholes for the Groom, who has one slightly more special than the other gents, the Best Man, FOB, FOG and any ushers if having them. Mums have corsages and the rest is completely down to preference and budget. It's no longer tradition to give them to everyone and I always advise against it as so many get wasted because a lot of people just don't like wearing them, particularly men!

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    catnor ·
    • Hide content

I'm ordering buttonholes for parents and wedding party and then budget depending closer to the date I will hopefully add 4 of my close family and 2 of h2bs close friends.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

OH will be the only one having a buttonhole at our wedding x

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

I guess like others have said it depends on your budget & preferences, I went for the usual Groom, best man, his parents & my dad & step mum, mums are having corsages. I'll also be having some flowers to match my bouqet to go on Mums grave. As much as I would've liked his sister & our aunties/uncles to have had them, I simply can't afford it so they'll have to go without.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics