Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ClaireD*
Beginner May 2014

Who organises the 'Something old, something new....'???

ClaireD*, 1 of June of 2014 at 17:24 Posted on Planning 0 17

Seriously, it's one of the things I was mystified about. On the day of my wedding people kept me asking me if I had them, which I didn't.

I've only ever seen bridal parties sort this out in American movies, and present the bride with them at their Bachelorette Party. As this didn't happen at my hen party, I just thought that maybe people didn't do it anymore? Or that either me or my bridesmaids were just a bit cr*p and disorganised.

I'm wondering about this now having seen another posting, because I have a good friend's wedding coming up, and I'm thinking that maybe I should be sorting that out for her????

Ta x

17 replies

Latest activity by Pipsybus, 2 of June of 2014 at 16:12
  • D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea but I want to follow to find out! I always assumed you did it yourself but then I've seen other people say they were given stuff on the morning which is surely a bit awkward if you've already got them sorted?!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I arranged my own.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

I was under the assumption that I organised my own? If I'm wrong, I've done a load of leg work for nothing!

I have 3 of the 4, and one of mum's friends gave me a sixpence as an engagement gift, so that bit is covered.

Now, I just have to find the last one, which is proving most difficult!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I did it myself first time round and am not bothering this time. I've never heard of it being done for you.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've just done it! It never occured to me to not do it. I bought a sixpence, a pair of blue socks for under my boots, and I knew I would already have old and new things. I dunno what my borrowed thing is gonna be yet but I've already mentioned to my mum that I need something from her.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I've done all mine but I think that's a given when I've posted my something old Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I did some of it myself, my Mums helping me with a couple and today my BM asked me if I had things sorted so think she was planning something too.

You could always ask your friend if she has anyone doing it for her? Smiley smile

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I never understand why anyone expects other people to do thing for them... if you want it do it yourself otherwise it just seems self entitled

for borrowed you will need others help obviously but you cant expect your work friend to go ask your auntie for your dead great grannies engagement ring or something, its just common sense you would do/ask yourself

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Calm down love, I've only ever seen it that way in movies. Which are all American. So I was wondering what we should do in England. I'm not the most organised of people and not very traditional so didn't necessarily do everything the 'right' way at my wedding. I'm just wondering what I 'needed' to do for my friend who is going for a more traditional church wedding - full song and dance, you know?

But I think you are right though about this 'borrowed' thing, so thanks for your help there. I think I may offer something up to borrow as an engagement present, that I think will fit with her theme. She can take it or leave it, depending on if she gets any better offers maybe ?

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I too have only seen this in plenty of weding'y American films, so I actually always assumed it was organised for you, the whole bride getting welled up because mom had just passed her a hand me down necklace made of pearls or something. I think this might actually be something that won't get done, unless my MIL (who happens to be quite organised-ish) takes charge because I actually feel like I don't want to do it myself. I feel a hint on its way now :]

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

It is something you orgsnise yourself. I have managed them all apart from the something borrowed part

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I organised the old (shoes), new (jewellery), borrowed (little pin from my mum for my flowers) and blue (my dress). But my brother gave me a sixpence which we sellotaped on the inside of my shoe!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Haha it goes to show that we in Britain just get on with it and do it ourselves haha!! I dont think I'm going to bother with any of the somethings. What does it all mean anyway?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well, *coughs*

The rhyme dates back to the time of Queen Victoria and is often quoted "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a silver sixpence in her shoe."

Something old: Represents continuity with the bride's family and the past, usually a ring or a piece of jewellery that has been passed down through the family from generation to generation.

Something new: The wearing of something new shows the bride is looking to the future of her marriage. This could be the wedding dress or the lingerie worn under the dress.

Something borrowed: a token borrowed from a happily married friend or relative in the hope that some of their happiness and good luck will be transferred to the new couple. A piece of jewellery is usually borrowed for the big day.

Something blue: The colour blue is believed to come from the Virgin Mary, who is often portrayed in a blue robe, blue is a symbol of purity, most often the something blue is the garter the bride wears.

A silver sixpence in her shoe: A Scottish tradition that actually started with the bridegroom putting a sixpence in his shoe to represent financial security and future wealth. The custom these days though is for the bride to have the sixpence in her shoe.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I'm still a little unsure. My MIL to be is buying my wedding underwear next month and the garter has a little blue bow on it so that's my something blue. No idea where the something new or borrowed are coming from as my mum hasn't mentioned it at all... Going to have to ask her if she has any ideas!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

In my experience (A LOT!) the bride has organised it herself, and asked to borrow things if needed. A couple of times garter/sixpence has been given as a gift.

I'm organising my own, apart from my borrowed I suppose - that's my dress, which my friend talked me into wearing! MF is old, so that's covered. My jewellery and underwear is new, and my garter is blue but I won't be wearing it under the dress. I've also not got a sixpence. I expect the day will go ahead regardless without those things, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've certainly never asked/heard anyone ask a bride about them!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to do it myself. New will be my dress, old and blue will be my mums engagement ring which is a sapphire. I'd be wearing this anyway as sadly she's no longer with us so I'll have a bit of her there on the day. And I've asked my best friend (and MOH) if I can borrow something from her... No idea what yet as it's a year away but I'll think of something!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics