Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Who pays for alterations to bridesmaids dresses?

28 of June of 2016 at 06:45 Posted on Planning 0 13

Does the bride pay for any alterations to bridesmaid dresses or do I pay them myself as a bridesmaid?

Thanks

13 replies

Latest activity by NoMoore, 14 of July of 2016 at 12:20
  • L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

Depends!

I was a bridesmaid for my sister and had to pay for my dress AND the alterations, but was then bridesmaid for my best friend and she paid for everything.

However, my sister has purchased all the bridesmaid dresses for my wedding and paying for the alterations, so swings and roundabouts!!

Sorry, that was a bit useless wasnt it?!!

I would say you pay for dress and then they pay for anything that needs doing, but that's just my opinion!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Tricky one for me miffy as I didn't have any bridesmaids however I would say if you're asked to be a bridesmaid and you're not told that they would like you to pay for your own dress or the alterations then it would be the bride paying for it.

As already said it's different with everyone but I think something that should be agreed on when you ask my thrown into the mix down the line. ?

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

If the bride has asked you to wear a specific dress I would assume she is paying for the dress and is therefore responsible for any alterations. If you are getting to wear what you want then I would assume you were paying for it.

I'm buying the dresses and having the final say so I will pay for any alterations.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I paid for both the dresses and the alterations.

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends. I'll be paying for my bridesmaid alterations. The last time I was a bridesmaid I paid for my own which I didn't mind as the dress was bought for me and I just took the dress to a local shop for a few tweaks which didn't cost too much.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

IMO if you are picking their dress you pay for the dress and alterations.

I picked the dresses for my BMs and am paying for their alterations. When I was a BM bride picked my dress and paid for alterations.

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

I only have one bridesmaid and I paid for her dress but she is paying for the alterations and her shoes. (she can wear any shoes she wants so thought it fair she pay for them) I have also bought her bag, hair and makeup and will buy (or atleast chip in) for a shawl for her depending on which one she chooses.

Her ear dress was about £230 though, plus hair make up and bag so I don't feel I'm being too tight!

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I paid for everything for my bridesmaids, alterations included - I wouldn't have dreamt of expecting them to pay to alter a dress I asked them to wear.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree. I think if it's not discussed in advance and yu have no choice in the dress then the bride should pay. Then if she wants to sell them afterwards it's up to her.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I am paying for my bridesmaids dresses and the alterations. (Plus hair, shoes jewellery). They are paying for their make up and that's about it x

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't expect to be out of pocket (aside from the hen and gift) to be a bridesmaid.

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

I would pay for them as a bride.

But as a bridesmaid, if I lost a lot of weight (or gained) or became pregnant after being asked and choosing dresses then I would pay myself.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

I had 4 bridesmaids... I paid for 2 and 2 paid for themselves. It's just how it worked out with them taking them to have alterations done themselves. One I paid for was my 14 year old sister so she wouldn't have been able to pay anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics